Did HP bump their head?

Discussion in 'webOS' started by WyreNut, Aug 20, 2011.

1. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

I'm still getting over the shock from HP's dumping of the webOS hardware line. Many folks over at the Palm GBU group are now staring at the abyss of layoffs and career changes. I count a large group of them as personal friends, working together for over 6 years now at the Forum to help users of the product have the best experience possible! (BTW, the TouchPad is now selling for $99 and $149 for the 16GB and 32GB models!)

The cruel way HP chopped off the head was unbelievable. So many of the higher-ups in PalmGBU had no clue it was coming! There was even a completely new division being formed that had the task of organizing world-wide "webOS meetups". This group had energy, involved webOS developers and end-users, and was being strongly supported by HP via swag and promo codes. The meetups are now going to be world-wide funerals for an amazing OS! :(

My sympathies go out to any and all folks who worked so very hard for Palm/HP (not only in the webOS division, but the PC section too!) and here's hoping some kind of silver lining can emerge. Who knows? Perhaps HTC or Samsung could pick up the pieces and turn the whole mess around! :)

WyreNut

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I certainly hope you're right but there seems a lot of skepticism about that. I personally think that Samsung, HTC, etc. would be wise to hedge their bets with WebOS what with Google buying Moto and Nokia gaining so much control over WP courtesy of MS. However, as a die-hard Palmist, I've become resigned to the fact that hopes are usually dashed.

I can't really understand this sort of corporate self-mutilation. Printers? Are they serious?

If they hadn't been such butts about licensing in the first place, they might have had some other manufacturers producing WebOS devices already.

With this sort of erratic decision-making, I don't know how a third-party manufacturer would have any confidence in them.

3. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Staples.com was selling the 16GB TouchPad Saturday morning at $49.00 each! I tried to throw 4 of them into my cart, but alas... It returned "None in Stock" errors. :(

They have sold an ungodly amount of them in two days. Almost to the point of some folks thinking this was an "evil plan" to get them into the hands of users!! :confused:

WyreNut

4. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

I don't know if it was an evil plan and don't really care. I got a darn nice functional tablet for the price of a meal at my favorite restaurant. Been using the heck out of it as a radio (I heart radio) and as a web browser. Fires up a lot faster than my laptop for checking email and a quick check of ESPN, Brighthand and the current state of hurricane Irene. Yep, I'm just three miles from the east coast of south Florida and I have to pay attention to those tropical disturbances and storms.
    It won't replace my Nook Color as my ereader of choice. The Nook screen is the perfect size to me for reading. I have played around with various roots on the Nook and have not been happy with it as a tablet and now I know why. The screen is just too small for the web. I tried a little book reading on the Touchpad and found it a little heavy for that use. I've also found some really nifty apps such as TWit and Rev3.
    Thanks HP.:D

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Reportedly they sold 350,000. On Saturday. Which may actually be more than the number that exist.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I guess we know the new price target for iPad.

HP isn't the first Apple competitor to go to 100 bucks. Kindle pricing was a lot higher before iPad was introduced and you can now get a "special offers" Kindle for $114 and a 3G Kindle for $139. This is similar to the PC situation in some ways. Apple charges a premium and gets away with it and everybody else runs fire sales. I wonder if Apple will provide more downward pressure to keep their competitors' heads under water by offering an 8GB iPad 2 for a lower price once the iPad 3 comes out. :eek:

7. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

It makes sense. After all, they're talking about a cheaper iPhone. A cheaper iPad would be pretty much the same strategy.