Desperately Need Help

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by Adeline, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Adeline

Adeline Mobile Evangelist

My computer is running Palm Desktop by ACCESS Version 6.2.2; Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit; SplashID Desktop Version 4.16; SplashShopper Desktop Version 2.62;

I have had the SplashID and SplashShopper for years and always able to hot sync the programs with my Palm TX and prior to that two different versions of Palm.

I purchased and downloaded SplashID Safe on Oct 25, 2011. Since that time I have not been able to sync Splash ID and SplashShopper with my Palm. I immediately submitted a query to Splash Data and was told to uninstall Splash IDSafe and reinstall SplashID Desktop 4.16 for Palm; I did this.

However, I could no longer HotSync my Palm TX with SplashID and SplashShopper. Again, I submitted a query to SplashData and was told that because I could not HotSync, they could not help me.

I have thoroughly read these forums and tried many, many “fixes” indicated. Palm will still not sync. I rely heavily on the Palm TX for these programs in running my life.

I am so hoping that someone here can help me.

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

first off, do other things sync? have you tried other USB ports, even if other things sync (no, shouldn't be necessary, but IMO, computers aren't an exact science yet...)? do ou have another HS cable?

2nd, let's look at the HotSync (HS) settings when Palm Desktop (PD) is running. click on the HS icon, left or right makes no difference. in the popup, you'll see 4 or 5 choices for connections; if none of them is checked, nothing will HS. normally, I'd expect that the USB has a checkmark next to it; if not, click it. to confirm, click the HS icon again. to close the popup you can hit the Esc key.

if other things sync, then you need to look at the conduit settings. again, click on the HS icon, and this time click on Custom, to display the actions HS will take. somewhere in the list you should see an entry for each of your Splash programs; click on one of them to highlight it, and then click on the 'Change' button. a 2nd popup should appear, giving you at least 2 options, but more likely (I think) 4:
    synchronize the files
    desktop overwrites handheld
    handheld overwrites desktop
    do nothing

normally, you'd want synchronize the files to have its radio button picked; I'm not sure how you usually work, though (meaning, enter things on the PC and download via HS to the TX, or mostly enter on the TX and upload via HS to the PC), so it could be different.
    if I was in your situation, I'd make a backup of the TX via NVBackup (which is free) to your SD card, as well as manually copy my most recent PC folder of data to another location before trying any HS-ing, just to be extra safe (see earlier comment about the inexact science of computing :rolleyes: ).

hopefully, this'll help. post back either way, please.

3. Adeline

Thank you, Rick. Actually I had already tried everything you mention plus many other "solutions." HotSync would not connect with the PC, so there was no syncing whatsoever. Nothing I tried worked.

Finally, out of desperation, I uninstalled both SplashID and Splash Shopper from my Palm and from my PC and Palm Desktop from PC. Then I reinstalled the Palm Desktop from HP and SplashID and SplashShopper from SplashData.com.

I held my breath as I hit the HotSync button, and did I ever have a broad smile on my face when I heard the wonderful connection sound coming from the Palm.

I have no idea what happened to the HotSync in the first place, but I am so very, very happy that it is now working. Just hope it continues.

Also, hope this information will perhaps help others who are having HotSync problems.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Very glad to hear the problem is solved, and thank-you for sharing the fix; as you said it may help someone else. ;)

5. Adeline

I forgot to add one step to the above. After I uninstalled the programs, I also turned off my computer for about an hour or so. Started the reinstall process once the computer was back up and running.