Dependable PDA

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by reb1, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I am in the market for a dependable PDA. I was searching the web and came across this web site.
    http://www.aceeca.com/home/mez_comparison.php They are going to release two PDAs in the near future. They will run windows mobile and linux. The more expensive model MEZ2000 will run a PXA320 806MHz CPU. The estimated price will start at about 700 before options. I believe it will be under 1000 with bluetooth and wifi. These are rugged style PDAs. There is an American rugged PDA with this CPU and it is called the Nomad. They use windows mobile and it runs about 2000 with the bluetooth and wifi on it. I am waiting to see if HP really puts 128 on there 210model. I will then need to see if it has any major flaws. If palm and hp will not pull there head out of it than it looks like the rugged handheld units are the onlly choice. I need dependability the frills. bells and whistles can come later.

2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

Whoa, that MEZ2000 could give the Dell Axim X50v/X51v, HP iPAQ hx4700 and 210, O2 XDA Flame, and Sharp EM-ONE all a run for their money! 806 MHz PXA320, 128 MB RAM, VGA screen, USB host, and it's ruggedized!

Only problem is, that's an insane price tag, not even factoring the additional BT, Wi-Fi, GPRS, thumbboard, or any other sort of add-on. Then again, ruggedized hardware does not come cheap, and the O2 XDA Flame and Sharp EM-ONE are just as ridiculously expensive.

3. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

Dont forget tugedized means huge. I think I've seen that and if I'm right, it's about the size of 2 VHS takes staged back-to-back! I can buy a LAPTOP with less CM^2 volume than that thing! (and this isn't a tiny ultraportable, I'm talking a full-blow (albiet thin) laptop!

But, this may set a precident to get better specs into PDAs, that's what I'm hoping for.

4. SuperGdog

SuperGdog aka Gdog

The first one is way over priced for a 33mhz dragon and 160x160 screen priced at $399.99. Crazy!!!!!!

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Expensive, yes, but there aren't a lot of devices which can be submerged in water, or be drop-kicked across concrete, and still work just like they did before.

6. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Mil-spec is as bulletproof rugged as it gets. What PDAs does the US military use?

7. Adama D. Brown

As I understand it, they buy a bunch of high-end iPaqs, which probably go to the less field-inclined personell. They're also major customers of Panasonic for their Toughbook laptops, so I'd guess for ruggedized handhelds they go for the Toughbook CF line of mobile devices.

8. Konrad Pierce

These Aceeca PDAs are still quite impressive, though. That 2000 unit is the first beast I've ever seen that mounts a PXA320 ...

I'm not so sure about all those MZ cards and such. Proprietary?

9. Adama D. Brown

The MZIO interface is proprietary, yes--though in theory it's supposed to be open enough that it's even easier for companies to develop customized attachments or peripherals than for CompactFlash. However, I've never seen any items for it available on the civilian market.

10. Konrad Pierce

I've never even heard of it before now. It's something that looks like it's worth watching, though. Are these units available in North America?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.