Dell Axim X50 and X50v Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Adama D. Brown, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Like previous Dell Axims, the new Axim X50 comes in several different types. The most cutting-edge of these is designated the X50v, for its VGA screen.

Read the full content of this Article: Dell Axim X50 and X50v Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. neuron

neuron Mobile Deity

I am wondering why can't the OS support the 2700g natively. We can't just expect the pic viewer and game program to upgrade specificly for 2700G.

The e800 is slower in VGA then in QVGA, I don't know what the speed difference during the daily regular use between X50 and X50v.

3. smartin

smartin Mobile Evangelist

one thing i can't get clear is whether there is a usb host capability in x50V ?? or did the guys form Dell forget about it ??
    cheers

4. Adama D. Brown

Support for the 2700G is built into the device, and applications can access it through the standard graphics API. As far as I'm aware, the issue in the graphics score is mostly with SPB Benchmark.

While the 2700G should offer a boost to many graphically intense apps, to really take advantage of the 3D acceleration and video decoding features the programs will have to be written to use one of the graphics APIs that the 2700G uses, like OpenGL or the equivalent.

No, the X50 doesn't have USB Host. I assume that Dell and/or HTC, the manufacturer, didn't think it was worth the expense of implementing it.

5. neuron

neuron Mobile Deity

CNET and Infosync both report that x50v is slow (obvious lag when switching apps). Considering almost only games use GAPI (some benchmark programs too), I really doubt x50v use the 2700G at all.

The GAPI is implemented by oem(Dell in x50v). CNET reported that most games can't be played in x50v at all. Either dell didn't take advantage of the 2700G in GAPI or the 2700G is really just a crap.

6. UFG

UFG Mobile Deity

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. lukas44

lukas44 Newbie

Can we get some performance comparisons with other VGA PDAs, such as the Asus & Toshiba?

Aside from opening programs, is there button lag in playing games?

Is the lower quarterVGA version as fast as the Asus a620 in video& game playing?

8. Adama D. Brown

Neuron, you're correct, I made a mis-statement. What I meant to say was that programs do access the 2700G, since it's the system display controller, and I mistakenly assumed that they used the graphics API.

It's important to remember that what we, all the other sites, and CNET got were prototype machines, not production units. These were essentially betas that still had noticible bugs in them. The Asus A730 had similar graphics troubles in its engineering stage. Hopefully all the kinks will be worked out before the production models start shipping.

Lukas, I'll be running benchmarks on the iPaq 4700 soon. No, I've experienced no button lag whatsoever. I've never personally tested an Asus, but judging from the benchmarks of the A620 and comparing them to the X50 Advanced, the X50 would be faster.

Spb Benchmark index 1573
    CPU index 1858
    File system index 1092
    Graphics index 4034
    Platform index 1277

9. smartin

smartin Mobile Evangelist

AdamaDBrown I'm thinking of getting my first PDA some time soon and honestly speaking I'm wandering how much better is 4" display better than 3.7" or rather is 3.7 big enough for common PIM and a bit of word and email processing ? I've newer seen live or even held any of the 3.7 or 4" PDAs :( since you got some expirience could you give me a hint on display hx4705 vs. x50v for these are the ones I'd like to choose from

cheers

10. Adama D. Brown

For most people, particularly if you're going for PIM, email, and word processing, I don't think that 4" makes much difference over a 3.7" screen, or the other way around. It's really a distinction for the hard-core power users, and in my opinion the larger screen isn't that big a deal unless you intend to watch movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.