Decrease in Sensitivity of Writing Area

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Pickwick, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickwick

Pickwick Newbie

So, I've had my TX for a year now and love it. One thing though, recently the writing area for the letters (in the classic setup) seems to be less sensitive than it used to be. I tried changing my screen protector and even go a new stylus, but the problem remains the same.

When writing a "w" and "n" or an "s" only some of the stroke is registered, causing the TX to write a number of characters / symbols, unless I press down fairly hard. I have been treating the thing with kid gloves, and am surprized that this is happening. Does anyone else have the same problem?

2. xanderdv

xanderdv palm abuser (black&blue!)

I've had a similar problem, I have mine set to create the shaddow and I see that it loses the "signal" in the middle of some letters sometimes, it ends up writing who-knos-what. I'm stuck using the keyboard function. even then the "t" and some other letters give me problems. Any suggestions peoples?

3. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

This is a very common problem with the TX. Many have had their TX replaced on warranty multiple times due to this recurring issue. In my case I opted to replace the digitizer with a 'glass' digitizer which I bought at http://www.gethightech.com/

It works much nicer than the original ever did for graffiti accuracy and drawing on Note Pad. I have only had it for a bit over a month so I cannot tell how long it will last.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

how hard (or easy) was it to replace the digitizer? I'm not shy about 'operating' but hearing from someone w/ 1st-hand experience would be great

5. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

It's easier than replacing the battery, because you get to the digitizer as soon as you take the case apart. You just lift off the old digitizer, disconnect the wires, connect the new one, put it in place, and put everything back together. Quick and fairly easy, if you're careful.

7. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

The digitizer is fastened to the LCD with an adhesive strip all the way around the edge. Because of this you must be gentle in removing the old one and when putting on the new one be sure to get it straight. I had a small paint brush like used in a childs water color set to brush any lint of the screen. I was quick about it and only had the one speck which was easily removed. The finished job turned out flawless but I attribute it partly to good luck, as I have never yet even put on a screen protector absolutely flawlessly.

You will want to remove the ribbon cable before taking the digitizer off. It is underneath an adhesive screen-like material that you must peel back. It is the cable that is not visible, not the one that is partialy visible, upon first inspection. To remove the cable from its connector you must very gently lift a tiny plastic tab, then cable slides out very easily.

I probably invested something over an hour doing the job (maybe 2 hrs., didn't time it) because I am very careful and fastidious. Cleanliness is of paramount importance if you want it to be truly 'like new'. I use a magnifying glass-lamp to do this kind of work or I would never have known if I had got it lint free.

So to answer your question. It can be very 'easy' if you are not fussy about specks under the digitizer. It may be considered 'hard' if you are, and if your work environment is dusty, as most any normal room in a house is.

8. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

Are you talking about the TX? The TX's battery is immediately avaliable after taking the back cover off. Getting the digitizer off requires removing a few more cables and removing the motherboard.

Perhaps you take the front cover off leaving all the guts in the back? I take the back cover off leaving every in the front as I find it easier to keep the buttons in place when disassembling and when reassembling, as shown in the video listed in one of the above posts.

9. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Have you two had a go at recalibrating the digitiser from within Palm Prefs or, even better, using mySkin (you can download a trial) to carry out a more exhaustive recalibration? have you also tried doing a warm reset (pin in hole) to give the thing a jump start?

10. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

We also carry glass digitizers for the TX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.