Deciding between iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by knife n fork, Feb 6, 2014.

1. knife n fork

knife n fork Newbie

Over the past 6 months, I've had an iPhone 4 but I think it's time to set a new smartphone. I really can't stand iTunes (the drag and drop on other mobile devices is much better in my opinion). Does anyone know if Samsung Galaxy smartphones have the "drag and drop" in Windows Explorer or do they use a program like iTunes? And I know the Galaxy is larger than the iPhone 5 so I'm trying to get people's thoughts on this: Does it fit in a person's pocket comfortably or too large?

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, knife n fork!

Most, if not all, Android devices (including the Galaxy line you mention) can be connected to a computer as mass storage devices and essentially work as flash drives. This means they can transfer files with Windows drag & drop, and don't need a specialized program to copy music, photos, or videos (or any other file).

Several Galaxy smartphones come in two sizes. Both the S3 and S4 are available in full-size with large (around 5") screens, and smaller "Mini" models with screens around 4" or so. I think the Mini models are somewhat less powerful than the full-size ones (i.e. less screen resolution, less storage, etc). Other Android smartphone brands have similar options. For example the Sony Xperia Z1 has a 5" screen, while the Z1 Compact has a 4.3" screen, yet it has the same CPU, RAM, and internal storage.

If you want to make a side-to-side comparison, try GSM Arena. You can choose the S5 and several full-size and Mini models to get an idea of what your options are.

IMO, a 5" device is too large for a pocket: my Xperia Z1 does not fit my jeans pockets comfortably, and protrudes too much from my shirt pocket, running the risk of falling down. I keep it in a belt pouch (where all my PDAs have resided since 2001). Of course, this is a matter of opinion, so wait for other users to chime in with their own experiences.

lelisa13p and anyd0zrs like this.
  3. knife n fork

knife n fork Newbie

Thanks for the help raspabalsa! Between the full-size models, which one would you recommend the most? I'm leaning towards the Galaxy but I'm intrigued by your Sony Xperia Z1.

4. kuddus

kuddus Mobile Consultant

I think iPhone 5 is better than Samsung Galaxy. Because it's have great features, apps etc..

5. raspabalsa

When I decided to shop for a 5" phone I reviewed all the figures (screen resolution and technology, CPU, RAM, storage) but most of those factors had little influence on my final decision. The S4, Xperia Z1, HTC One, and LG G2 have very similar specs. The G2's screen is slightly larger and has much smaller bezels, has a good IPS display, but it lacks micro SD slot (this was one of my requirements). I was very intrigued by the back-mounted power and volume buttons, but I think I could have grown used to them. The HTC One has very good looks, front-mounted stereo speakers (a plus for me since I watch a lot of movies) but also lacks SD slot. The S4 has SD slot, but I'm not fond of AMOLED screens with their exaggerated saturation, and the white plastic finish is not impressive IMO. The Xperia Z1 has (in my opinion) the best looks with its full glass front and back and aluminum frame, but, oddly, has bottom-mounted stereo speakers (not much help when in landscape mode). The screen top and bottom bezels are much larger than on the other devices but I don't mind this since it means I can get a better grip without covering the screen when in landscape mode. Since it's a TFT display it has narrower viewing angles compared to the S4, but for my usage this is no big deal. I like button placement, the power and volume buttons are well-placed for portrait and landscape use, and I really love the dedicated camera button. The 20MP camera on the Z1 is not so much better than on the other devices as far as I've seen and tested. I can get better macro images with my 6-year old Panasonic 8MP point & shoot camera, so this was not a factor I took in consideration.

But there's only so far you can go when comparing specs on paper. Eventually I had to go to the stores and grab each device and play with them. What finally drove me to the Z1 was the water-proofing, the looks, and the SD card support. It's hideously expensive too, so it's not easy to recommend this device. Better get your hands on the phones you consider and see for yourself what are your needs. You may very well go for a device without SD card if you decide you don't need extra storage or if you're ok with using USB pendrives to increase the device's storage.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I was really hot for the Z1 (I think that's the model); but then I read some reviews and they were mediocre. I'm glad you like it.

7. raspabalsa

On the Z1 reviews I read most of the criticism focused around the TFT screen's narrow viewing angle and the less than stellar performance of the 20MP camera. But once I tested the device I found that the screen was more than ok for me in terms of brightness, saturation, and viewing angle. As for the camera, I've never used a phone as a main camera, and this hasn't changed with the Z1, so even if there had been a 12MP or even 8MP camera my decision would have been the same. I guess most of the disappointment is that some people would expect a 20MP camera to perform much better, when the pixel count is but one of the factors affecting the result.

But yes, I really like my Z1... I'm always drawn to heavy, solid-feeling gadgets. It's construction reminds of the golden age of Palm devices, when they had aluminum bodies and were thermally sealed. My Vx was a very fine-looking machine.

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

I have the iPhone 5. I hate iTunes and only use it when I have to. I hold my nose when I do use it and I'm on a Mac. For music, I use Amazon cloud player. I dragged about 200 of my songs up there and I haven't had to pay for storage. Meanwhile, I purchased dozens of songs from Amazon either as mp3 or using autorip and I don't have to pay for those. And you know what? I have cloud player on my iThings and the music plays offline quite nicely. Not only that, cloudplayer sees the 1 or 2 dozen tracks of music I happen to have sitting in iTunes and it plays them as well. So if you're considering Android just to be rid of iTunes... not. so. fast.

You can own an iThing without owning any computer. Apps and Music can be purchased directly on the device and the device can be backed up to iCloud. Kindle and Amazon cloud player apps are available if you decide you want to use Amazon as your content provider. I own a rather mediocre Motorola Razr M and I hate the way it works. It freezes and pauses and the Android UI is nowhere near as well thought out as iOS (as a daily user of Android 4.1.2 and iOS 7). If you like iOS but hate iTunes, by all means consider an iPhone 5, 5C or 5S, just don't allow iTunes to stand in your way. Lastly there are some 3rd party Windows and OSX apps that make your iPhone look as if it were a usb drive, similar to the way an Android phone works. Just about any Android phone you get will leave the carrier standing between you and software updates. My updates come from Apple and I've been (mostly) delighted with every one. Meanwhile, there are Android phones that hit an upgrade wall at Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS or JB and will never get updated again. And some of those phones are still being sold today as new! Our family has iPhones of average age 2+ years and they are ALL running iOS 7.0.4.

But let's say you happen to like Android better. Ok. Then I recommend the Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4. There are some that don't like what Samsung has done to Android but if I had to get an Android phone, Samsung's devices would be near the top of my list. This is especially true now that Google has sold off Motorola to Lenovo and (I've heard) decided to stop selling Nexus devices. If Android is your cup of tea, I predict that the Google/Samsung experience will only get better.

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

raspa, I couldn't recall the negatives mentioned; but I think you covered them well (screen and camera). I think there were a few other things; but the construction was often noted as excellent. It is a nice phone.

lelisa13p likes this.