Dear modders: TX keyboard help

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Mi An, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I understand how you feel, but I just feel the need to pipe in and say the Universal Wireless Keyboard I recieved from Palm is pretty wonderful. It has 5 rows, its own batteries and allows me to work either portrait or landscape. It is both sturdy and stable and I haven't noticed any real lag.

Of course, I should point out I got mine free as a rebate (frustrating as the wait was).

Anyway, just my 2 cents, FWIW.

2. amadams

amadams Mobile Evangelist

It's the sled type. I can't use a cradle or sync cable because the connector is the wrong gender. I need the connector from the bottom of the M5XX handheld ( female ) since the gps has the part that plugs into the handheld ( male ). Anyone know where I can buy a bad M5XX motherboard, I assume the connecter is soldered to it.

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I now agree with Hook -- like I posted earlier, I was looking for a direct connect keyboard, too, specifically to avoid anything wireless. I discovered that the bad feedback I'd been getting about wireless keyboards was purely Bluetooth models -- not IR. I have the older 4-row Palm Wireless Keyboard, and it has a touch-typing learning curve since it's lacking the 5th row, but it's still a great keyboard. If Palm has resolved the T|X driver issue for the 5-row Universal Wireless Keyboard, then I'm sure it's a nice deal, too.

More than I'm ticked about the lack of a direct connect keyboard for the T|X, I'm absolutely PO'ed about Palm switching to the flimsy, poorly designed MultiConnector from the much better (in my opinion) Universal Connector. I still see absolutely no reason for the switch other than a couple of wires in the MultiConnector labeled "future use". Well, gee, that's nice for future expandability, but we've had what? 4 or 5 Palm devices out now using the MultiConnector and have yet to see any of this "future use". By the time the "future" gets around, Palm will move on to the WhackyConnector or UselessConnector or IrrelevantConnector or whatever is next on their joke list for making us buy all new 3rd-party accessory hardware.

Ahem...okay, I feel a little better now...BUT NOT MUCH!

4. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Oh, I think you're more interested in creating some sort of adapter for it. I was suggesting that you replace the male Universal Connector on the GPS sled with the male MultiConnector from MultiConnector cradle or sync cable. Gomadic does sell just the connector, and it arrives in pieces that you must solder/assemble. You MAY be able to just use the actual connector pieces to replace the connector in your GPS sled.

5. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Actually, I've kind of given up on doing this myself, at least for now. There's someone over at PIC with some theories about how to get it done, and if he succeeds and posts results, I might follow those or buy one from him, but I'm pretty much resigned to getting a palm branded IR board for my birthday.

I'm not thrilled, but such is life.

6. amadams

amadams Mobile Evangelist

That was a really great suggestion, I looked at the connector on the GPS and how it was mounted. It's just not practical since the connector is soldered onto an IC board with lots of heat sensitive components within millimeters. My only option, that I see, would be to get a fried motherboard from an M5XX and remove the universal connector and rig a cable to a multiconnector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.