Dead Acer Aspire One - resurrected!

Discussion in 'Netbooks, Tablets, Slates and eReaders' started by jigwashere, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My netbook died. The power light came one, but nobody was home. No other lights flashed. No disk spinning. No fan. Nothing. Dead. :mad:

This is the second time this has happened. The first time I noted it here.

The solution is relatively quick and easy if you know what to do. I followed these instructions and my netbook is back alive: Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery

I hate that this happened -- twice no less! It's not something I'd want to happen on the road, that's for sure. My current BIOS version is 3309. I don't want to send this to the Geek squad -- they'll just screw it up worse, but I don't want this to keep happening.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Bad BIOS and no doomsday CDs. After those two "glitches", would you recommend Acer netbooks? I mean the question, cause I may soon be out for one. I won't be the user, I want it for my dad, so I will be looking for a model that is reasonably fast, hopefully WinXP, best if free of "glitches".

3. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

Oh no jig that is not good news :(

Did you try changing to the other Web Camera as I set out in This Post

Since doing this I have had no problems at all and I use StandBy mode all day only turning PiP Off when I am going to be a way for a few hours or going to bed.
    By the way my BIOS were upgraded to version 3309 as well.

Good Luck :)

All the best, woz of oz

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Wow, this is a scary thread. :eek: So far, I leave my AAO netbook on standy for days at a time and no problems. Ubuntu takes a long time to boot, come out of standby and go into standby but I'm not willing to swap out my kernel for faster boot times. I don't know my bios but I hope this never happens to me as my main reason for having an AAO is to use it "on the road".

5. jigwashere

Everything has glitches. I'm lucky I'm able to deal with this one myself.

As far as recommending a netbook, it's first important to understand their purpose and limitations. I have no problems with the size, even though I have large hands. Heck, I had no problems with the keyboard for my IIIxe or TX, either. The small screen isn't much of a problem, but it does take getting used to.

I use my netbook as it was intended: for web-surfing and e-mailing. Sometimes I'll do some real work with it, but not often. Oh, and I also watch recorded videos on it now and then. :)

6. jigwashere

Thanks for reminding me of your webcam post, woz. I'll check it out.

7. jigwashere

Woz, I just read through your post. Wouldn't it be easier to simply disable the webcam in the device manager, then enable it when you need it?

8. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

You are probably right but I don't know for sure.
    If you don't use the WebCam much then I guess it can't hurt to try.
    If you do decide to try that keep us posted on the outcome, I am interested to see if it works as well

I know that the 'USB Composite Device' WebCam works fine and I have had no StandBy problems since doing that change at the end of January :cool:

All the best, woz of oz

9. jigwashere

I haven't used the webcam, so went ahead and disabled it. You know, the only trouble I was aware of with Standby was that my BT adapter didn't seem to turn off and drain the battery. I haven't used Standby for this reason, opting instead for Hibernate. I'd prefer Standby, so will try this.

10. jigwashere

My AAO died again. I recently partitioned the HD and installed Ubuntu (dual boot). The first time my AAO died was when I partitioned the HD. Not sure if it's related. Here's the sequence of events (roughly):

• Recently partitioned my HD.
    • Installed Ubuntu to dual boot.
    • Everything seemed to work fine.
    • Last night, booted to WinXP and watched a video. The battery started to die and my AAO automatically went to Standby. For some odd reason, it immediately started up again and continued with the video. I watched for a few more minutes, then it shut down - hard.
    • I closed it up, plugged it in, and went to bed.
    • At lunch, I tried to fire it up and it went into ChkDisk mode. Everything tested fine and it shut down before restarting. It's been dead since -- no HD activity at all. None. Dead. It's not the battery.

So, I'm thinking I'll try the old BIOS upgrade trick. Unfortunately, I have no thumbdrive with me at work. Wait -- I have my Kingston microSD drive on my keychain.

Nope, that's not working. Darn thing started failing recently. Probably too much abuse banging up against keys all the time.

Hmmm....maybe I could use my 755p with CardExport II and flash the Bios that way? Nope. Both 8GB microSD cards are full and I don't want to mess with them.

Maybe I could use my TX, CardExport II, and a relatively empty 2GB SD card to flash the BIOS. Dang! New problem. My TX crapped-out on me recently and lost it's Hotsync name. I don't hotsync it anymore, but CardExport II won't validate my registration w/o a hotsync name. :rolleyes:

Okay. New plan. NVBackup my TX in case there's something on it I want to keep. Next, NVBackup selective restore Saved/Unsaved preferences and see if that'll work. If not, I'll download an app to update my hotsync name.

Please stand by! :newpalm:

11. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Good luck and god speed!

12. jigwashere

Yippee, skippee! I'm back!

Connecting my TX to my office workstation through Card Export II should have been easier, but I got it to work. I then formatted my SD card with FAT, ran unetbootin-windows-377.exe and copied the new BIOS files to it.

I turned my TX back on, clicked 'Connect to Desktop' in Card Export II, then connected it to the USB port. Holding both Fn + Esc, I powered it up, hit the power button again. and a few minutes later it was rebooting. It's all looking good!

I think I'm going to print the instructions for this, tape it to the bottom of my AAO, and keep a BIOS flash-ready thumb drive with me.

This is stupid. Oh well. I"ll never get those 30 minutes back. :D

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering why I didn't just flash the BIOS from the SD card -- the AAO BIOS doesn't support booting from SD card slot, so I needed to go through the USB port. Thank goodness I had my TX with me today! :newpalm:

13. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Honestly, jig, you scare the daylights out of me. :eek:

BOB, my AAO, is not going to hear a single word of this adventure. Don't want him getting any ideas. :p Just celebrated his 1st Birthday right before Labor Day. :cool:

14. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

Well done McGiverwashere :)
    I am stunned, that is so :cool:

That is one scary story, I would have been lost right after the BSOD :confused:

Hi BOB [​IMG] (PiP waves)

All the best, woz of oz