Daylight Saving Time in 2007 and Beyond

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by rbeef, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yeah, what gives? There are some people who just don't feel comfortable unless there's something "official" for them to install. If we don't need this, I'm wary because of the other patches (cradle, Enterprise Wi-Fi) and the problems that came with them.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :newpalm:

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

It seems to be a .prc file for DST changes.
    Not even sure yet if you need to keep it on your device or can remove it after running (it is only 28kb but still ...).

Luckily I do not need it :D

3. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I agree with lelisa13p about the "if it ain't broke don't fix it". It's not like we can't manually do it, although I can somewhat understand for those who travel extensively at various places covering different timezones, but then, if the "check network settings" is available via the carrier, this also can be somewhat fixed that way too.

I'm quite surprised how much of a backlash there is over this. All these people at the Palm forums getting all upset about the lack of an update when "other devices" are getting one (uh, probably because they can't manually do it). And then there's someone who complained that there isn't such an option to change DST on a much older Palm device like the IIIx. Let's not forget that they or anyone for that matter, aren't expected to provide lifetime support for their devices. Jeez, I guess that seems way too hard to do.

Uh, I don't think I hear enough people complaining to their several year old VCR manufacturer about not getting a DST fix. Nor do I hear anyone complaining to Timex or other watch manufacturers about not having a DST fix either. Worst case scenario, we simply just have to manually change the time.

If anyone is to blame, it should be GWB for forcing North America to adopt this new DST. Why aren't we doing much to complain about that?

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I freaking HATE DST. :mad: I never recover until late November, and it looks like from now on there'll be barely any window of "real time" anymore. :( :( :(

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Stupid DST patch. I love how the page where you can get the patch, says your desktop software might experience shifting. Shifting? No thanks, I'll adjust my own date and time. Thankfully, Palm OS allows us to do this. I feel bad for those MS folks that can't do it any other way. Well, ok, I'm done feeling sorry for them now. :rolleyes:

6. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

LOL!

I've never figured out *why* we need to shift time in the first place. Okay, so we drive to and from work in the dark. Eventually we do anyway even with the time shift. I think it's better to just gradually adjust to the shorter and longer days rather than a sudden forced change.

7. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

I think for people who travel a lot it means they don't have to perform the manual procedure you did for each and every city they visit. If that's not a big deal to you, then I'd say just leave it be.

I don't know any more than anyone else here, but since the DST database already exists on the Palm, I can't imagine this update doing anything other than mucking with that database, as you say, in an automated fashion.

Also, Palm doesn't say this but it would seem perfectly safe to delete the application after it has run. I checked and found no associated databases with the update app, so deleting the app won't undo the fix, I'm pretty sure.

8. FerdFerd

FerdFerd Recovering Palm Fiddler

This patch would be valuable if it makes the changes survive a hard reset. Otherwise, those who have taken care of this manually surely don't need it.

I haven't looked to see if this make a ROM revision so that it is a permanent change.

9. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Not if it fails to survive a hard reset, which is what made me question why I should even bother with it. On the other hand, that does mean you don't have to worry too much about installing it-- if something goes wrong, just hard reset.

So I guess I'll go ahead and try it tonight, just for fun.

P.S. I have still have never installed the enterprise WiFi update-- have neve encountered a need for what it does, don't understand what it does (generally, I don't install software that I don't understand what itt does) and don't ned any new problems. :)

10. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Hmmm... So I WASN'T the only one for whom the "patch" created more questions than answers... ;)

I'm still of the opinion that it just "automatically" updates the db with time zones & DST settings.

[ASIDE]I customized my location settings anyway to add my actual location (city,) for which I'm sure the automated update wouldn't do anything, sooo...[/ASIDE]

And, if it doesn't survive a hard reset, then there's even MORE reason to be sure and use a good backup app! :D

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.