DataViz Was Not Acquired by RIM, Still Working on iPhone, Android OS Software Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Actually, that's more or less how I was interpreting what I was seeing, nice to have it clarified.

It sounds like RIM decided to make DTG development an in-house project as a part of solidifying their grip on enterprise mobile and to put more energy into the development for BlackBerry than Dataviz might put in by themselves given the growth of iOS and Android. Dataviz sells them their Blackberry development unit and probably reaps liscencing fees for whatever is developed and sold-- a good deal for both, I imagine.

3. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

I suppose WebOS support is still out? That's OK as long as Quickoffice has the ball... I'm crossing my fingers for a nice new WebOS 2.0 phone from HP (though I would rather it have been Palm) and something to maintain my data whether it be driven by MS Office or OpenOffice based front end.

4. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

More or less, I think it still is Palm (well, the webOS Palm, which is not the same as the Palm whose devices I used like the TX). I think HP is so far mostly leaving them alone except to provide some capital, and I think you will still see Palm branding. Strange that there is still no hint of new product. Hopefully announcements in October.

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

October seems to be the target from what I've read on the Sprint and/or PreCentral forums. It's nice to see the Pre at $49 from Sprint - though I'd rather have the Plus. I'll wait and see if something comes out over the next two months or so and fall back on the Pre if nothing appears.

On topic: It would be great to see the Quickoffice product released with WebOS 2.0, but I haven't heard any hint toward that either.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

Whew. That's a relief! I was not looking forward to finding a new solution to my office doc editing needs on my iPad and iPhone and as always the need would have come at a random time not of my own choosing.

BTW, I can't believe webOS support is still in doubt. Dataviz always had a solid relationship with Palm and I thought they would have something by now. Oh well. For me that ship has sailed. I'm using iThings these days.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Weaker than expected sales of WebOS devices, compounded with the absurd programming language requirements most likely drove them off. Don't care how past history has played out. If you cut off everything, start anew, with a platform that is too restrictive, people will not follow, regardless of the shiny factor.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I agree. They really were like two different companies, names notwithstanding. And even with HP continuing some kind of WebOS continuity, that may well be a 'third.'

9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

There's an alternate version of the statement given to me on the DataViz Facebook page:

Despite the rumors, DataViz is alive and kicking and remains very much committed to many of the smartphone platforms we previously supported. While we did extend our business relationship with RIM, which included the sale of some of our assets, the details of this (and any other) partnership will remain private.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.