Database from T5 not being backed up

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by pofadda, Dec 3, 2012.

1. pofadda

pofadda Mobile Enthusiast

I made a little app to run on my T5 using CASL, but now they're off-air :-( Dead-and-gone, I imagine, as their excellent product was now obsolete. I have started using the app again and I need to get the resulting new database output onto my PC. This was done before by backing up the T5 and using the said file's copy. Now the file is not being backed up and I need help to find out why.

The only real difference is that I have reformatted the PC and upgraded the Palm Desktop to v6.x.x. I also ran a small progette, DB-FixiT, to overcome a v6 bug, but still no app backup! I might be missing something obvious (to another)... Any ideas, please?

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I Don't know CASL (still available at Freeware Palm), but it could be as simple as it is not compatible with desktop version 6. On the other hand, you can always transfer the file via the SD card with a card reader.

3. pofadda

Many thanks, Hook
    How quickly knowledge drains away! I have un/reinstalled 6 for 4 and now it won't HotSync with either of two Palms!
    Also, the SD card doesn't appear on the T5. Your TX Help pointed me to FileZ.. but I can't use it because of no-HotSync... I recall similar frustrations when the Palms were young and fresh, but at least I could sort it out then. I'm really getting sick of the passage of time :-(

Any tips?

4. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

If it is simply transferring a file between you SD card and your computer, get a cheap sd card reader from any office supply store (can find them for as cheap as $5) and it will be easy.

You can install stuff without Hot Sync using MyInstall, also on my help site. Again, a car reader will make it easier to copy the MyInstall files to the sd card.

I don't know about PD 6 or the T5, as I said, but when you install PD, it's usually important not to accept the first invitation to sync. Let it completely install and then restart your computer. Only then, connect your Palm and do a first sync. Don't know if that will help.

When you reformated your computer, you didn't by any chance install a 64-bit version of the OS? Palm doesn't have 64-bit drivers. You can get some provided by Aceeca (again, link to discussion on my help page).

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Try using a 2GB SD card. Larger cards can't be read by the T5 (i.e., SDHC cards cannot be read).

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

also, try these things to get HotSync working:

1) click (either right or left) on the HotSync icon in the system tray, and be sure that the appropriate communication is selected. if you are using a USB HotSync cable, for example, having Local Serial checked won't work. if the HS icon isn't there, you will need to either start it manually, or open PD to start it (an option in PD is to start HS when PD starts)

hotsync options.jpg

2) try a different USB port; not all USB ports work the same (for reasons known only to Sheldon Cooper, and the Great Pumpkin...)

3) if you have another HotSync cable, give it a try

as for the card in the T5, try removing/re-inserting it; that sometimes works. also, have you done a soft reset recently? it won't hurt, and may fix either or both of these issues (card not seen, HS not working) -- and it's so much faster than doing a soft reset in Android.....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. pofadda

So:
    un/reinstalled Palm 4.0.1 again
    When connecting HS cable and T5 has Windows finding 'New PalmOne handheld' but can't install it, either 'automatically' or from 'specific location' (like it couldn't before),

Tried different USB HotSync cables,
    removed/re-inserted card a number of times,
    set'Local USB' in Setup,
    SD card has always been 1GB
    and neither target nor another Palm (Treo650) can HotSync.

Plan B:
    Put MyInstall and FileZ (thanks, Hook!) on SD card in folder as told, and installed them. Remembered that my new Nexus 7 has BT and paired it with T5! Selected 4 files in FileZ, tried to 'Send' via BT to Nexus - which I noticed that it had a golden 'key' icon next to it(?) - and it said 'Connecting to Nexus 7', then 'Sending to' then 'Unable to send to Nexus 7' 'Try Again' didn't help [groan].

Nexus and a phone BT'ed well, so no probs there. :-(

Oh well...

8. RickAgresta

What OS is on the PC?
    Did you try the soft reset?
    The golden key means it is a trusted device

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Since to were able to install filez that means your device is reading the SD card. That's huge progress. Using filez, you can copy the database like Hook suggested in the second post.

10. RickAgresta

jig, my suspicion is that this was installed to the card via a card reader on the PC....