data encryption/security

Discussion in 'Palm' started by wmscottmc, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmscottmc

wmscottmc Mobile Deity

2 security questions:

1) If I enable 'data encryption' on my TE2, will a hotsync write the data encrypted or UN-encrypted to the PC?

2) Are there any known issues with autolock after xx number of minutes (like there are on the Zire's)?

Thanks

2. Modified

Modified Mobile Consultant

Hi Scott

I have a TE and had the same problem. My Palm has a heap of confidential client information on it. I don't know about the TE2 but with the TE the answer is NO the information is not encrypted on the desktop. In fact it is in text form on the desktop and can be easily read. Using Windows XP I encrypted the entire folder, this made the info unreadable when copied from my computer to another one but quite readable on mine. Not a satisfactory answer. I tried TealLock, great on the Palm but no good on the desktop. I then found a program called Password Plus by Dataviz and this is good.

My biggest problem was that I would access the information from the desktop and then forget to close it, so that it was visible to anyone until I closed it. Password Plus has a timer attached that will close the file after a set time, mine is set to 2 minutes.
    The actual program and database of info is fairly basic and could do with some inprovements, but for what I want it is great. As for the encryption of the information, it is encrypted. I don't know where it hides the info because I have done an extensive search of my HDD and can't find it, great well hidden and away from prying fingers on keyboards!!!

Go to www.dataviz.com, it is available free for I think about a month, in that time you should know if you want it or not.

Hope this is of some help
    Regards
    Andrew

3. wmscottmc

wmscottmc Mobile Deity

Andrew, will Password Plus secure the standard PIM databases on the TE2 (like datebook, and tasks)? And is there an 'auto lock' feature that locks the pda at a certain time, or if it hasnt been used in a certain amount of time?

thanks, scott

4. Modified

Modified Mobile Consultant

No, Password Plus is a standalone program and will not encrypt any other program's data only it's own data.

As for your other question, No there isn't any of this in the standard applications that come with a TE not sure about the TE2 (I'll leave that for someone else to answer).

For encryption you need something like TealLock that does have time lapse locking etc. As I said above, the encryption is only on the Palm NOT the Desktop. TealLock is also available as a trial copy by downloading it at www.tealpoint.com so you can try it before you buy it.

Hope this helps
    Andrew