Dad needs a new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jan 23, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'll take a look at the opening browser behavior and see if that solves it. Thanks! By the way, I'm going with DOOD - Dear Old Ornery Dad. :D

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Jig, regardingI he auto•door locking, unless you fnd something in the owners manual that says (paraphrasing) "if you want this feature you're poop* outta luck" it's probably a pita buried setting. my 12 year old Sienna minivan (Vannie :vbrolleyes:) has that, don't think it can be over-ridden. otoh, if you need to replace a remote keyless entry thingy, to pair the new one is an intricate dance requiring the patience of Job to complete successfully (go from Acc to Start, go back and repeat 2x, use the driver's power window button, etc).

agree totally with the new displays; I plan on asking if there is an available opaque cut-out to place over it…

again, Vannie has on-wheel controls, for the sound system, including changing pre-sets. (as well as selecting input -- AM, FM1, FM2, Aux input (standard miniplug on both ends), or DVD player; volume up/down; On/Off).

looks like you're out of the Really Deep Freeze, at least for this week (haven't yet removed the WeatherBug Target Field location -- I get a kick out of the sub-zero igloos…), but there is the forecasted gunk_from_the_sky to deal with…we had 4 - 5 inches of snow Saturday, but it mostly melted yesterday -- mid-40's. enough hijacking!

*poop since i'm pretty sure the S in SOL wouldn't be allowed here

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. jigwashere

Unfortunately, auto door locking on the Subaru Outback doesn't exist until the 2018 model, which also offers it as a fully configurable feature (by default, it automatically locks at 12.5 MPH, but can be turned off or set to lock when placed in Drive).

Good news: The infotainment screen can be turned off very easily in settings. For me, this removes the distraction and forces me to use the steering wheel controls (which work great for switching input source and changing stations, music tracks, etc.). Some feedback briefly displays at the top of the screen as you switch sources, etc., which I appreciate. The screen turns back on with the touch of a button. I really like driving with it off!

4. jigwashere

Sigh....Dad's old laptop has millions of javaws.exe instances running. I'm struggling to uninstall Java.

EDIT: After multiple failed attempts, I finally renamed javaws.exe to javaws.exe.bak in the programs/java bin folders, rebooted, then was able to uninstall. Unfortunately, the last reboot won't reconnect to TeamViewer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    scjjtt likes this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

There, there; may I offer you a warm beverage?

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

"Soft kitty, warm kitty...."

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Jig,

Office 2007 is fully out of support. No security updates, nada. That's a no go from the start. Time for a new office suite. If he's got to change anyway, you could offer him Libre Office and see how that goes. I think there is something to be said for having a local software suite vs trying to use an internet version like Office365 or Google Suite. Especially if you are set in your ways. *hc suddenly contemplates his own set in his ways mentality* Oh dear...

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  8. headcronie

Though for peace of mind in knowing that the office suite is always up-to-date, you'd most certainly want to go the office 2016 route. Updates on patch Tuesday... Libre Office won't do that for you...

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  9. jigwashere

Thanks, hc! I can get a license for Office 2016 at no or low cost either through work (Home Use Program) or from a friend who purchased too many for his business (funny story).

Everything seems to be up and running smoothly on both computers. The old Windows Vista laptop actually fully boots in under 3 minutes, which is pretty darn amazing. I've uninstalled a ton of stuff, done extensive scans, reconfigured things to eliminate or reduce bottlenecks, and cleaned up hundreds of files, folders, etc. When I first started working on it, CPU and Memory were at 100%; today, both numbers are very small. I had some frustrations with TeamWorks, but ironed those out, too (I think).

While the old laptop runs, I told Dad he should only use it locally to print old docs and avoid any internet access. He has hundreds (actually thousands) of docs and pictures on it -- most of which is absolute junk he got from people emailing him -- and I'm not in the mood to transfer all of it to his new laptop. At least, not yet.

The scary thing for me is that my dad doesn't understand and my brother denies the extent of vulnerabilities from using running older hardware and unsupported operating systems and software. My brother continues to use Windows XP and sees nothing wrong with Dad using Vista. I've expressed my concerns and tried to help, but I can only do so much.

10. headcronie

I feel for you, Jig.

Unfortunate situation that it is family in this case. I don't let my employer get away with using EOL products, and for my side job, I flat out tell them if they opt to use EOL products, they do so on their own, as I refuse to support it, and refuse to support them. The only reason I'll touch and EOL product, is to move them off it. Not to keep it working.

It would be devilishly fun to hit their systems with an exploit they will never be patched against. It would be fun, but never in a million years... *sigh*

Keep fighting the good fight, Jig!