Dad needs a new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

So where did you send Mrs. Jig for the night? And how many roses did you get for when she comes back. Or did you get them to roll back the odometer for you? :vbgrin:

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Mrs. R. will take donuts over roses any time. Especially if they come by the dozen and have chantilly cream. The best part is that I get to enjoy some of them too :)

Congratulations, jig! Hope you enjoy your new truck. Sounds like a very good deal indeed.

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Great decision! My Son and one of my BILs drive Subaru Certified Used Cars and have been extremely pleased. :vbsmile: My Son's is an Impreza and BIL drives a Forrester. :thumbsup:

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

We'd inheirited an Outback which ran well, reliably, happily…until a tree jumped out in front of my older son...sigh…

EDIT: IT WAS A FORRESTER

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig, congrats on the car! How exciting! We all expect a review from you.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I picked up the car today, and even my wife seems impressed with it. The drive home was pretty fun. Rush - 'Tom Sawyer' sounded real nice through the Harmon Kardon speakers and sub-woofer! :D I'm still trying to figure out the Bluetooth on this. When I first paired my phone with it, it automatically started playing my podcasts. It was very annoying. When I finally did get it to play my music, it wouldn't pick up any of the metadata and I can't seem to control anything other than sound. I'll have to play with it more.

The dealership sales people were so very stereotypical. Sorry if anyone is offended by that, but every car dealer I've ever met seems to have similar inability to pay attention to simple courtesies (like calling me by my name instead of automatically shortening it) and inconsistencies in details about the car features or dealer offerings between sales people as well as their website. Case in point: over the phone they offered complimentary oil changes over 3 years and lifetime free car washes (among a few other perks). In the dealership, they wanted to charge me $89 for that "Buy Happy" package. Um...no. You're not charging me for that - it's part of the deal. Sigh....I really hate dealing with sales people.

Tomorrow, I hope to find the title for the old minivan, clean it out, and donate it to a local automotive school. I brought my pickup there last year. If they put the vehicle into use, I can take the full market value tax deduction. If not, the deduction is limited to whatever they get for it at the scrap auction.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

Dad's new laptop arrived a few days ago and he'd already been playing with it a day or two before letting me know. :rolleyes: We got TeamViewer installed and immediately added myself as an administrator and changed him to standard user.

• I uninstalled some bloatware, but left some Dell nonsense on there until I have a better chance to look at it. Microsoft bloat is getting harder to remove -- they simply reinstall it. :mad:
    • I installed Chrome and logged in using his gmail account.
    • I added bookmarks (along w/corresponding shortcuts on his desktop) for AOL.com's main page, AOL email, AOL news and Google news.
    • I walked him through using the shortcuts and he seems to accept that AOL desktop software will not be installed.
    • For some reason, closing Chrome doesn't close open tabs, which is a bit of an issue. I talked him through closing tabs, but I don't think he gets it. I might need to find a way to solve this.
    • I installed Thunderbird and set it up with his AOL credentials, but he immediately rejected it and just wants web mail. I removed the shortcut, but left it installed. I think he'll need it when clicking html mailto links.
    • He lacks an Office suite. He's used to MS Office 2007 and owns a copy of it, but w/o an optical drive it'll be a while before I can install it. I'm going to encourage him to try Google Docs since it'll be fairly easy for me to provide formatting support. I could get him a much newer version of Office, but I don't think he'd like it.
    • I still need to transfer files from his old Vista laptop....
    Vista, Vista, Vista. That's a whole other story, my friends! I managed to have him boot it up and connected through an older version of TeamViewer (8-something) I'd previously installed. After many painfully long and difficult hours giving my dad instructions and me just waiting and waiting for things to happen, I was able to make a little progress with it. CPU had been running at 100% and everything was constantly freezing.
    • I managed to run system file checker from a Command Prompt.
    • I uninstalled ton of stuff, but have much more to go.
    • 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' (AudioDG.exe) was taking up a ton of CPU, Memory and Disk resources and I found that disabling all sound enhancement effects of Playback devices fixed it.
    • Malwarebytes found and fixed 48 bad actors.
    • I also found out that Dad's favorite way to shutdown was by holding the power button for 8 seconds. Yikes! Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until yesterday, so even though the old laptop seemed to be running pretty well for 2 days, it's back to crap again. Making matters worse, I had TeamViewer upgrade itself to v13. Ever since, it's been a struggle to get connected. Hopefully Dad has time tomorrow to work with me so I can get it going again. I'm hoping to either user TeamViewer or network share to transfer files from his old laptop to the new one.
    This has been an adventure in the blind leading the stupid over the phone, and patience on both ends of the phone has worn thin. Dad doesn't like to follow instructions in a step-by-step linear fashion, and struggles to describe to me what he sees as things are happening. I frequently have to start things over because he started clicking through dialog boxes on his own without waiting for me to tell him to zig left or dodge right. I've always looked up to my dad (and still do). He's incredibly intelligent (PhD in theology and well read on medical, political, economic and social issues) and he's very active. He grew up on a farm and does well with mechanical things, too. But put a computer or smartphone (and many other electronics) in front of him.... I've tried helping with simple descriptions and instructions, visual notes and indicators, and analogies, but nothing works. If I could find an old Olympia typewriter with some ribbons, our quality of life would greatly improve.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Sorry to hear about the on-going problems, jig… iirc, my typewriter for college was an Olympia…ah, those were the days! fire had just been invented, and electricity was just a spark (groan) of an idea…

scjjtt, headcronie, Hook and 3 others like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here's a Chrome thought. Firefox has a setting in Tools > Options > General > Startup (some browsers call it Preferences, etc) for opening browser behavior: A) Show your home page B) Show a blank page C) Show your windows and tabs from last time. I don't use Chrome so I can't say what it offers but maybe you could look for some similar setting? That could simplify the initial process each time *D.O.D. wants to browse.

I feel your Tech Support pain. After my 94 year old next door neighbor moved to Texas a few years ago (R.I.P. at 95 a year later), tech support that I could grind my teeth thru while going next door when she lived here became almost stroke-inducing (to myself :vbeek: ) when attempting to explain on the phone. She would get tired of the whole thing and decide to quit or as you say, just sail along and "help" me fix whatever was acting up by doing whatever she thought was a good idea. Some of it she just made up and executed. :vbeek: :vbeek: :vbeek: Oh, and when she wanted to turn off the computer she'd sometimes just unplug it from the wall. :vbeek:

All I can say is that it was a good thing that I loved her so much. :vbwink: You're in line for sainthood. :thumbsup:

*Dear Old Dad :vbsmile:

10. jigwashere

Thanks, Rick! If I can get Dad to work with me tomorrow and get the old Vista running and connected, I'll be pretty happy. Once we can be done with the old Visa machine, I think Dad and I will be good on the new lappy.

By the way, I'm loving my Subaru Outback. I generally think of cars as being basic transportation and not much more. In my youth, I enjoyed tinkering with my old junkers (I basically built and rebuilt a 1964 VW bug from spare parts) and taking them on road trips, but since getting married and having a family, it's been about getting from point A to point B with no frills.

The Outback Limited is fun to drive.
    • The sound system is great. For the past number of years, my radio has been stuck on Minnesota Public Radio. Now, I'm listening to all my old tunes and finding some new ones.
    • Adaptive cruise control. 'nuff said.
    • Keyless access and push button start means the keyfob never leaves my pocket.
    • I keep the headlight switched to 'on' position. They turn off when the car's off.
    • Climate controls in Full Auto mode is great. The fan doesn't kick in until the engine is warm, then turns off when the cabin reaches the proper temp.
    • Steering wheel controls are convenient.
    • I had to haul a very long item. By laying the back seat down and fully reclining the passenger seat, I had no problems.
    • All the safety features seem great and I feel pretty good about my son eventually getting his permit and learning with my car.
    • I'm sure there's more, but can't think of them right now.
    There are a few frustrations/challenges:
    • My understanding is that it's safer to have the doors locked while driving, but this isn't automatic in the 2016 Outback (it's fully configurable in 2018). When driving, I have to manually lock the doors. Not really a big deal, but what's really annoying is that I can't open the door without clicking unlock. Seriously? I can't just pull the inside handle to unlock and open the door?
    • Syncing phone contacts is a joke. From what I've read, it's limited to 20 or 24 contacts, and the ones it picks out of the hundreds on my phone seems completely random. I ended up manually entering a handful of contacts, which is all I really care about. Other than this, making and receiving phone calls is great.
    • Pairing my phone was easy, but either my music or podcasts automatically start for no apparent rhyme or reason. Why does it start automatically? Why sometimes music and other times a podcast? I don't see settings in DoggCatcher or Poweramp that would cause this (although, I just noticed a comment on the DoggCatcher settings screen for 'Play audio.' "Play audio when headset is connected. Some bluetooth devices cause this to happen even if this is disabled." What the...?
    • My friend's phone switches automatically from his BT headset to his car, but I have to do it manually. There doesn't seem to be a setting for this behavior.
    • The microSD card in the dash is disabled for audio and can only be used by the navigation system. The good news is I can upgrade maps for free through the end of this year, but can't use the microSD for music (which you can on Outbacks with no navigation system). Oh well, thumb drive in the USB port works.
    • Why do cars have tachometers? Please don't tell me. ;)
    • Dashboard information in front of the driver (other than the useless tachometer) is pretty good, but the touchscreen infotainment system could cause the drive to be distracted. I avoid messing with things while driving and I'll have to carefully train my son when he gets his permit. Even changing radio stations requires briefly taking your eyes off the road!

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.