Dad needs a new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jan 23, 2018.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jig, especially in your winter climate, my make or break must-have option is seat warmer, which ime are not available on non-leather seats. Whatever your choice, best wishes w/ it

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Good point about the value of used vs new. Unfortunately, a new Limited would likely be about $36,000 and my budget is so stretched I'd have a hard time looking at that principal balance.

As far as the accident is concerned, if there were any structural damage, the CarFax report should show it (it doesn't) and it likely wouldn't get Subaru Certified status.

The Subaru 2.5i Premium has about 28,000 miles and original tires, brakes, etc. Accident free. (I found another Premium for about the same price: 23,000 miles but not Subaru Certified).

The Subaru 2.5i Limited has about 50,000 miles with new tires and brakes. 1 accident, rear end.

Here is what the Limited trim level adds:
    • Memory seat
    • Leather seats
    • Rear heated seats (both vehicles have heated front seats -- even though the Premium has cloth)
    • Blind-spot detection with lane change assist, rear cross-traffic alert
    • Harman Karman speakers (12 speakers vs 6)
    • 18" (vs 17") wheels
    • Keyless access with push-button start
    • Power passenger seat
    • Power liftgate (edit: I think the Premium has this, too)
    • Turn signal indicator mirrors

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

In general, I would expect "Subaru Certified" to be reliable, so, since both are the same price (if I read your earlier post right) I'd go with the one your prefer, which I assume is the Limited. 50K vs 25K miles doesn't matter much, as Raspy said, but then I'm someone who only does 11K miles a year. :vbwink:

New tires and brakes are a nice perk and will save you some money in the short run.

4. jigwashere

I want the Limited. I'm also a low-mileage driver (the '98 Ranger I donated last year only had about 120,000 miles on it). Would you mind calling my wife and telling her it's okay for me to get the Limited?

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Why? Would she listen to me? Mrs. Hook doesn't. :vbrolleyes:

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

If only someone could convince Mrs. Hook to call Mrs. jig... I'm afraid Mrs. raspy has a very similar tendency to play deaf when toys are involved, although she's known to offer a pity yes every now and then, like when she approved of me buying the G6. I did have to tell her how much I was suffering with a small slow phone, and my description may have been somewhat flourished.

7. jigwashere

When it comes to my wife, not-me is always more convincing.

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I've seen cars with cloth or non-leather (mostly vinyl) that have heated seats. I had a Volvo with corduroy seats that were heated that could melt steel.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree with Hook, I'd avoid the car with the accident.

Raspa, Toyota Hiluxes are famously indestructible. Years ago Top Gear did a famous segment on trying very hard to destroy a Hilux and they couldn't do it (they drowned it in the ocean, crashed it, lit it on fire, etc.). It still ran. I bet you can find the clip on Youtube.

raspabalsa, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. jigwashere

I test drove the 2016 Subaru Limited last night and really like it. In addition to the features and options I listed above, this one also has Subaru's "EyeSight Driver Assist Technology with Lane Keep Assist." This will bring the car to an emergency stop if approaching some sort of barrier at high speed, and has options to prevent you from drifting out of your lane. My insurance company agrees that the Outback is one of the safest vehicles on the road, and my insurance premium wouldn't break the bank.

As far as the accident the car had, it looks like it was a minor rear end collision with no structural damage. The Subaru Certified Used Car inspections found no issues. Given the list of upgrades and reasonable cost, I've decided to go ahead with the purchase. I just called the dealership and requested they deliver it to my home and we'd do the paperwork here.