Dad needs a new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jan 23, 2018.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

<RA faints dead-away…>

lelisa13p, r0k and jigwashere like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

WTF?!? Where's The Food?!?! *hc scrambles off to the BH breakroom*

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

From one stress eater to another (or more), I HAVE DONUTS! :vbsmile: Feel free to dive in. :vbgrin:

And there's an ice-pack for the bump on RA's noggin. :thumbsup:

Assorted Donuts-Sprinkles1.jpg

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sorry, I only check in about once a week and yesterday BH was down for some reason.

The Lenovo is cheap but not demonstrably different than most laptops I've had. I have 2 quibbles. The power cord is a bit shorter than others I've had and the power port is on the left side, which isn't as good for me in the chair I usually use it in. And, the shift-key for some reason is oddly placed. It's a bit lower and farther to the right than I'm used to, so I miss it sometimes. I guess my right pinky is short.

I don't like Win10; but I've acclimated. All of my frequently used programs are down in the taskbar, but they also congregate at the top of my Start list, so easily accessible either way. I don't bother with most of the rest of it. One big caveat is that after every update, your Start menu will be shuffled and MS keeps popping promotional stuff into the list as well, which you either have to manually dismiss or you can turn off suggestions in your system preferences.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've been under the weather the past week as well as struggling with a dead vehicle (shopping for a replacement), doing my best to keep up at work, kids, and housework, so I wasn't able to focus on buying a computer for my dad. Just this morning, I settled on a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 for $480 (down from $649):
    • 7th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM)i5-7200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
    • Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
    • 4GB, DDR4, 2400MHz (additional memory sold separately)
    • Dual drives with 128GB Solid State Drive+ 500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Truelife LED-Backlit Display
    • 42WHr, 3-Cell Battery (Integrated)
    • Intel 3165AC + BT4.0 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1]
    • Single Pointing Backlit Keyboard, English
    I'm having it delivered directly to my dad, so I'll have to talk him through some things like giving me remote access (unless my brother has time to help him). It looks like it's expected to arrive 2/20, which is unfortunate, but hopefully he can get buy with just his smartphone in the meantime. Ideally, I'd like to do a clean install of Windows without the bloatware, set myself up as the admin and my dad as a user. I'm not sure if I can do that remotely.

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Sounds like a nice set of hardware jig; condolences on the dead car/truck (and its' poor timing -- seems the best deals are late December), and hope you're feeling better soon.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

[​IMG] Is that a Dell Inspiron 5570? It sounds like the one that I bought (I ordered thru Dell Business with some upgrades) and am still setting up:

• 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
    • Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English
    • Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016
    12GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
    • Dual drives with 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    • 15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Display
    Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

Even after tweaking the display settings, text rendering is really small in some uses and I'm still working on finding a fix for that. Initial display settings are preset to 125% yet 150% is too large. There are system warnings about using Custom size settings and potential rendering problems but I may do it anyway. It might be a Windows 10 problem/difference (from Win 7) but I'm finding NO LOVE for Win 10. Still have that Start Menu thing to deal with. Cable data transfer from Win 7 machine to Win 10 is on my list for today. Also, no longer is Windows Transfer utility software included in Win 10 so I had to buy another transfer cable with software and couldn't reuse the cable that I used to migrate from Win XP Pro to Win 7 Pro machine.

Your Dad is lucky to have you for IT support and you, my dear, are an yellow smiley angel with wings and halo.jpg . [​IMG]

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Now that I've gotten Dad's computer in the pipeline, I've turned my attention to car shopping. Hate it, hate it, hate it! Punting this thread into off topic territory (at least until I get into setting up the new laptop) should help me feel better, though.

After battling through our family transportation requirements, I've settled on a 2016 Subaru Outback. I'd love a larger vehicle to tow our boat, but I'd only need that capability a few times a year. On a day-to-day basis, I'm carting kids and their stuff to/from ski and swim practices and meets, all sorts of band activities and music lessons, and the all-important trips to the grocery store. Note that my 15-year old son will likely start learning to drive this year. :eek:.

Anyway, I'm close to getting either a Premium with less than 30K miles or Limited w/50K miles (and a rear-end accident in its history). Both are certified pre-owned, so have gone through loads of inspections and maintenance. The Limited has new tires and brakes, and in addition to the leather interior, it has blind spot sensors (which my wife likes). Both are the same price. I vote for the limited, but my wife doesn't like the high-ish miles. I think the miles mostly don't matter, and the new brakes and tires make up for that. I'm not sure if an additional 20,000 miles makes much difference in terms of engine or transmission life.

Opinions? :) By the way, I actually considered buying a new Outback (Premium, not Limited). Depreciation doesn't seem to be a big deal, and since I tend to drive my vehicles for years longer than any reasonable human would, a new vehicle should have decent value for me. In the end, however, I'm constraining my shopping budget to the low $20K range, so sticking with used is better. Outbacks were revamped in 2015, so I wouldn't go older than that. JD Power says 2015 suffered some quality issues, so 2016 seems like the right fit.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

IMO, 20K difference in mileage doesn't matter that much. Actually, both cars have pretty low mileage. I'd hesitate if the mileage was above 75K miles.

At work we have a fleet of Toyota Hilux pick-ups, most between 90K and 150K miles (I think in km, have to convert to miles every time :) ). Most of them haven't shown problems with engine or transmission. Then again, they're all diesel engines, they work at higher pressure but less RPM than gasoline engines, so they tend to last longer. The only one that has engine trouble is one that was purchased second-hand by the company's Financial Manager and the CPA, both of whom have zero experience with engines and transmissions, yet decided to go shopping and buy a nice-looking truck all by themselves. Sounds right out of a Dilbert comic strip, right? Then the mechanic inspected the pick-up truck and found that the engine has low compression and needs rectifying, the transmission has an oil leak and sounds like it has pebbles inside, the bodywork is 3 shades of white and has signs of dents and bumps - meaning most probably the truck suffered a severe crash, steering is worn, fuel pump has low pressure, injectors need replacement, etc., etc. In typical Dilbert (or more properly, his pointy-haired boss) fashion, the FM and CPA somehow managed to come clear of this mess and place the blame on the truck driver, who wasn't even there when the truck was purchased.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

The rear end collision would worry me a touch more than the mileage differences. I'd just make sure that "certification" included the chassey, frame and axles. I take it the same price premium (30K miles) does not include new tires and brakes?

Another consideration. Are you paying up front or financing. If you are financing, consider at least looking at new. You pay longer, but you can often get the same monthly payment at very low interest rates and get a full factory warranty. It sometimes turns out to be a better deal in the long run. Not trying to convince you. Just making a suggestion.