Dad needs a new computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jan 23, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Dual citizen, but at the rate things are going in this country. . . .

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I thought most of you U.S. BH'ers vowed to do that after the last presidential election.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Got room in Canada for 2 more of us? ;)

I've grown up with those birds. The Canada goose, or Canadian geese... I've gone down to the lake on countless occasions to feed, listen, and watch them. They are really neat, and the experience never gets old. :)

4. headcronie

I could throw the dart for you Jig. Just tell me what to aim for. I play in a darts league. You've got a fair chance of getting the device you want. Or.. not. :p

5. jigwashere

Careful they don't attack! Geese can be mean.

Years ago, I was in in a pool league. I'm not terrible at darts. Anyway, I'm worried that after I get a new computer for my dad, it'll feel like the darts are being thrown at me.

6. headcronie

I've been 'billed' or is it 'beaked' before by the geese. They've got a decent pinch. At least it isn't a hawks flesh ripping beak. :eek:

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

hc, as I'm the owner/operator of a new Win 10 laptop (which I began setting up last nite), could you please share where I could find this? The stock Start menu is a graphic nitemare. :vbmad: Not meaning to hijack the thread since jig might want the same info. :thumbsup:

Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

I am not a fan of installing anything to make W10 look like W7. That may have been necessary for some people when Win8 first came out, but the Win10 start menu is very configurable and you should be able to get rid of the offending graphics without much difficulty. https://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-ways-to-customize-the-windows-10-start-menu/

I almost never see the start menu, by the way. I put my often-used program icons in the task bar, then auto-hide the taskbar. I've been doing this since at least WinXP. :)

EDIT: The end of the article I linked includes links to Classic Shell and Start10, which might be what hc was referring to.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  9. headcronie

A popular replacement for the regular start menu has been Classic Shell. http://www.classicshell.net/
    I don't use a replacement since moving to W10 but I did use one for 8/8.1 as that was simply horrendous.
    I remove all live tiles from my start menu manually, and the result is similar to the concept of W7's start menu.
    Hope that helps. :)

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  10. headcronie

Interesting... Classic Shell is no longer supported. Posted Dec 2017, the author has ceased development. You'll see that on the Classic Shell home page. You can use it for now, but realize that the next major update, may break it... Guess I'd take a look at Start10.

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.