D-Pad as a Virtual Mouse?

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by Perry Gonzalez, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perry Gonzalez

Perry Gonzalez Founder's Site Member

I just upgraded SplashPhoto and found I could scroll around a full size JPEG with the D-Pad when it hit me...Is there a program designed to use the D-Pad as a virtual mouse? I don't recall ever seeing one. If there isn't, could someone with skills create a program to do so! Maybe I'm thinking I would use the Virtual Mouse more than I actually would...I don't know. But it would be a great option.
    Viewpoints?

2. architect

architect The Thread Killer

I've was thinking about that recently as well. Mainly in regards to all that extra space under the keyboard in the sony NX and NR series handhelds.

But productivity-wise, i don't think there's a need for a mouse. The stylus will get you where you want a lot faster.

However, if there could be a trackball-like feature on the palm for true one-handed operation, now that would be something.

3. statik

statik Newbie

That isn't a too far out idea. The Palm Portable keyboard drivers (for OS4) alredy contain a built in mouse cursor that lets you move around the screen, drop down menus and press buttons.

4. nibnob

nibnob Mobile Deity

Talking of which, does anybody know if the Drivers have been updated to include this feature on OS5 yet?

I already have what I believe to be the most up-to-date Keyboard driver which is the ThinkOutside v1.9.6T.

This is the best one right???

5. Irvingstark

Irvingstark the Brighthand Faithful

I will confirm latest driver V1.96T

It is a drag (no pun intended) that a mouse cursor is unavailable (to my limited knowledge, anyway).

In my experience with os5, I suspect it may be because this OS leaves is so 'closed' in terms of changing what can be done in the OS, as compared to those that support hacks and the like.

One of my favorite hacks was LapTopHack. It supported a built in function where you could call up a mouse like cusor and manipulate it with the keyboard so you didnt have to stop typing, pick up a stylus and tap the screen at intervals. Alas, no support, no plans to support os5. Pity.

But a d-pad mouse is a helluva idea. Its on my wish list....

Irv

6. Perry Gonzalez

Perry Gonzalez Founder's Site Member

Having the virtual mouse/trackball feature for one handed operation is exactly the point. It would be for quick access situations. For productivity architect, you're absolutely right.

7. Longarms

Longarms T|X Rocks!

This functionality (called pPointerTool) can be found in the latest version of pToolSet (v 6.65). pMasterTool, also part of pToolSet can then be configured to launch pPointerTool via a hard key press.

I'm planning on putting together a detailed review of the latest version of pToolSet for the next edition of Foxpop.