Curve vs. Pearl

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by cajuncartfan, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cajuncartfan

cajuncartfan Mobile Enthusiast

I have a Moto Q9H from AT&T now with Blackberry Connect software. It works OK but it is not as good as using a regular Blackberry. I was thinking of trading it on the Curve or Pearl since the business that I bought it from has a trade in program to get credit back to put towards the purchase of a new phone. I can't decide between the 2 Blackberrys. I like the compactness of the Pearl but I like the full keyboard of the Curve. I would like to know opinions of anyone going from a full qwerty keyboard to using the Pearl's suretype keyboard. Was it hard to get used to or should I just go with the Curve? Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated from anyone that has used both.

2. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

Keep in mind you are going to less-capable devices (Blkberrys) meaning you're going to want to milk the most out of it, "if" you have to jump ship to it. I'd avoid the Pearl completely.

IMHO if the Moto Q9H must go, then get the Curve hands down...

3. cajuncartfan

What do you mean by less capable device?

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

The pearl has a slower processor, and the music and video player is more feature limited than it is on the Curve.

5. Genjinaro

Also on both, the browser is sub par in comparison to the Moto Q9, you have fewer 3rd party options & no office editing.

IHMO you made a good choice the 1st time around.

I'm not sure what BB-Connect may be missing but
    have you looked into connecting your Moto Q9 via your company's Exchange Server with Microsoft Direct Push?

6. cajuncartfan

Can't do the Exchange Push because I work for a small business and we don't use Exchange.

My issues with the Q9 using Blackberry Connect is that it interferes with the operation of Opera Mini. Most of the time Opera can't connect to the web and if it does it blocks Blackberry Connect. Then when I am done with Opera and close it Blackberry Connect does not start working again. I have to reboot the Q9 for Blackberry Connect to function again. Also, it freezes and locks up some when using Opera and the only solution to that is to remove the battery to get the device to function again. If I could find a solution to these problems I would be happy with my Q9.

7. Genjinaro

Ahh Opera Mini...Does it also interfere with Pocket Internet Explorer?

Rather than Opera Mini, have you considered trying out Opera Mobile 8.65? I believe a newer version of Mobile will debut tomorrow.

If it still doesn't work let me know.

It may require some play in you registry.

8. cajuncartfan

Actually, it does have Opera Mobile 8.65 installed. Internet Explorer also causes problems with Blackberry Connect.

9. Genjinaro

Definitely a registry problem. :)

Download this to your moto q9H
    http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/

At the download page select "Smartphone blahblah" from the drop menu, its the one at the very top.
    After you download & install the .cab, Open the PHM registry editor.

Once open, follow the text as shown below untill you reach /InternetSettings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/InternetSettings

Change the following as shown below:

EnableAutoDetect=1 (it was set to 0 before)

Now things should work like they should. ;)

I pulled that info from here so the credit goes to them:
    http://www.modaco.com/content/HTC-K...rry-Connect-ruined-web-browsing-/#entry861474

10. cajuncartfan

I downloaded the file and checked the registry and it was already set to 1. I appreciate you trying to help me because except for this issue I really like my Q9. Any other help would be appreciated. I have been doing google searches to find things but have been unsuccessful. Maybe I should do a reset to the device like I first got it. Do you know how to do that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.