Critically low memory

Discussion in 'Cingular 8525/AT&T 8525' started by DieselNuts, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieselNuts

DieselNuts Newbie

First I would like to start by saying hello to everyone. I am new to this forum, but I know how they work. I hope you guys can help me out with this 8525 because its really giving me fits right now.

On christmas day I was playing around with my phone and happened to check the storage memory. I was sitting around 8mb. After I got done, I put the phone in my pocket. I had not touched the phone at all until about 6hrs or so later. When I turned it on, I got the "storage memory critically low" message. I then went to check how much memory I had left and it read 0.00mb. As soon as I saw this, I went to save my contacts to my sim card but to no avail. The phone had locked up solid. My last resort was a hard reset and by doing so, I lost over 300 numbers. I know how the active sync feature works, but my home computer is not very up to date so it will not work.

Well, today I checked my memory and it was sitting pretty at about 24mb. I tried to download 3 emails (all text, no pics) and as it was loading them up, I got the "storage memory critically low" message again. I went back and checked the memory and it had fallen all the way down to 8mb.

I dont understand what is causing this memory to be eaten up the way it is. Someone please tell me what I need to do/not do to keep me from throwing this expensive piece of technology through the wall.

Thanks in advanced,
    Derek

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Do you have any third party applications running? I mean any app that didn't come on the device.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. DieselNuts

DieselNuts Newbie

Ive got Google Maps, Live Search, SPB Mobile Shell, Phone Suite & Pocket Plus, and the most recent Spybot Search & Destroy.

My buddy has an 8525 with all the same programs on his and he is experiencing similar problems, but not nearly as frequent.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

It's definitely one of those programs, then. I would hard reset and then add one, see if the behavior starts again, delete it, add another, etc. Then add them all in together one by one, a day or so at a time, and see where the conflict is.

5. DieselNuts

DieselNuts Newbie

I think you're probably right. I know its not google, livesearch or spybot because I had the first two before the problems started and got the last one because i was afraid that a virus might be causing the problem.

I hate process of elimination, but sometimes thats the only way....kinda like the dating scene.

Thanks guys and keep the ideas coming.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Don't worry about viruses, there really aren't any for Windows Mobile.

Have you tried going into Internet Explorer and clearing the cached data? It has a habit of piling up temporary files.

7. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

A few ways to free up memory in WM:
    • Terminate all programs running in the "background". WM by default will not properly stop a program that's closed, it will only "suspend" it - any memory a suspended app was using will be locked away (unavailable for other uses) until it's completely stopped. WM will - in theory - automatically manage memory and shut down applets when needed. People have complained for years about WM's sucky abilities in this area.
      You can manually shut down running programs with the Memory applet in the Control Panel. You can also use a program like Spb Pocket Plus or WisBar (both the free Lite or shareware Advanced versions) to gain better control over this behaviour if you like. iPAQ Pocket PCs also have an iPAQ Task Manager which is quite useful for this purpose.
    • Uninstall any programs you aren't using. You can always reinstall them later if you need to, but beware that you might have difficulty with some apps that are purchased or registered (including things like Nevo which come pre-installed in your WM ROM). At worst, you can always hard-reset and reinstall everything; but this is inconvenient and a bit drastic.
    • Move all your files (photos, documents, mp3s, etc) out of RAM or ROM. Store them on a removable flash card instead. In addition, you can configure things like your browser cache (mentioned above) and your PIM databases (contacts, calendars, etc) to be stored on a flash card as well, freeing up more memory in the device. The downside of this approach is that you obviously cannot access this data unless the flash card is left plugged in.
    • Install your programs in directories on a removable flash card. Again, the downside of this approach is that the programs won't run properly unless the card is plugged in. This can free up a lot of memory though, especially with apps that need a lot of database stuff (like the Google Maps, Live Search, and Spybot you list above).
    • You can adjust the ratio of "Programs" and "Storage" memory on the slider. This only works in WM2003SE and earlier versions (not WM5 or WM6). It's one reason why I dislike the WM5/6 memory model, since I'm skeptical about WM's ability to intelligently automate these things.
    • Pay big bucks for the PPCTechs 128MB Internal RAM Upgrade. A great option, but ridiculously expensive.

8. DieselNuts

DieselNuts Newbie

Oh, thats good to know.

lol, I just did this for the first time a couple hrs ago. I went from about 8.3mb to 25.52mb. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks for the little write up Konrad.

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Technically, IE is supposed to keep its cache below a certain level--I think 8 MB is the default--but it doesn't do so very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.