Creationism vs. Evolution...should both be taught?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dogbarber, Oct 2, 2006.

?

Intelligent Design vs. Evolution

1. Evolution should be taught exclusively

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. I.D. should be taught side by side with Evolution

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Should Creationism (Intelligent Design) be taught side by side with the Theory of Evolution in the public school systems or should Evolution be taught exclusively as it has?

It seems to be a growing debate nowadays in that system, and in many areas, has been adopted. Just wanted to get the BH view.

Here's a quick reference to the subject. Thanks! :)

P.S. Just looking for opinions here, not a launching pad into my soap box preaching...I PROMISE!:):):)

2. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Great giver of good Godly guidance, glad gatherer of gorgeous Griffon's ghastly gooey grease, generally gentle glistener of genuine Greyhound genital globes;

In your poll, all your answers are questions. Quite counter-intuitive, don't you think?

3. dogbarber

Nice G's!!!! Perhaps you're right. I'm asking should Evoltion in the public school systems continue as it has, with no mention of any possibilty of I.D. OR should I.D. begin to be taught side by side with Evolution as a viable option.

edit. There would be no favoring over one or the other, just the presenting of both before the students and allowing them to choose.

4. Curious Cat

Your poll, your decision. If you want me to edit it, let me know.

You liked the "F's" last time, I thought I'd go to the next letter. :)

edit: Poll now edited per your request.

5. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

IMHO school should not always be a monologue with the teacher spewing facts--especially if the facts are in question. I favor a more Socratic method of teaching encouraging discussions on differing viewpoints.

This, of course, does not apply to lectures where the facts are known and can be demonstrated. There is no need for a debate on the "relative" answer to 2 + 3, or the side effects of mixing sulphuric acid with skin. But when something has as many questions still attached to it as this topic does (and I understand that many people believe there are no questions, but let's agree that there is not a general consensus among the majority of the world's population) then a discourse involving alternative solutions seems like a good idea if the students are capable of forming opinions.

6. dogbarber

I as well...get all the cards on the table and let them decide with vigorous debating and questioning.

7. Q-Eye

Q-Eye Once lost, now found...

The problem of teaching "Intelligent Design" is in whose version of it you are going to be teaching. There are more creation stories from different religions and cultures all over the world than just the one in the Judeo-Christian bible.

A second problem is in what class to teach such things. Science? I think not. ID is not amenable to scientific validation/invalidation. I think this is more a subject for a "comparative religions" / "mythology" class.

8. dogbarber

By I.D. I mean that something/ someone created us, not promoting any world religion, just the thought, simply, that we were created.

Evolution teaches, essentialy, we evolved from single cell organisms into this (us). It is a question of origin. The begining of us that is. I.D. also does the same.

As PDABach stated, it would be a WONDERFUL in class debate for students to flex their brains a little bit instead of going along with whatever the teacher shoves in his head. I think, IMHO, the art of debate is long gone from our schools. I think debate actually stimulates learning more than the traditional method of study and answer so to speak....it forces you to look at all aspects of both sides of view to find strengths and weeknesses.

9. Curious Cat

To me, it's a matter of separation of church and state. No matter how you put it, Intelligent Design, is based upon religious beliefs. I'm all for exposing students to different points of view but there is a difference between teaching a subject and simply broadening the students minds. For instance, I'm all for teaching about Nazi's and Ku Klux Clan ideologies but I certainly wouldn't wanted it portrayed in any way that looks like the school endorses that rubbish. I'm not comparing the ideologies of ID with Nazism but both are belief systems, not science. Evolution is taught as a "theory" but one that is based on scientific facts, same as chemistry, math, etc.

10. dogbarber

I would argue that...Evolution is taught as fact 100%. They call it theory, but if you came out of that system as I did, 1995, you would see there is no other explanation other than evolution.

Again, I am not saying the teacher has to promote one over the other, simply put both on the table, and debate it for, say, 2 days. No right or wrong answer.

If you are going to teach Evolution as origin in science, then ID should be there as well as an equaly viable option...not holding to the Quran, Torah, or Bible or whatever else.

Evolution and ID are the 2 largest views at the forefront of origin, so why not debate civily?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.