Cracked iPad Mini screen

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by EdmundDantes, Jun 17, 2021.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Okay, so I managed to crack the screen on my iPad Mini. The top quarter or so is black, but the rest displays okay. I can enter my code and get to the 'desktop' screen. What are my best options for recovering from this situation? Can I back it up and transfer it to another iPad of the same model? Does it make more sense to fix the screen at one of those Fix-It shops? I've seen used versions of this iPad for as low as $50, which is probably cheaper than fixing the screen. In most instances it wouldn't be worth fixing at all, but I'd like to recover my reading list, favorites, and open tabs.

I'd been trying to hold off getting a new iPad until the rumored new iPad Mini comes out, which will have smaller bezels, and some of the upgrades of the more recent iPads. I find that, while I do have a full-sized iPad, I actually prefer the Mini.

Thanks in advance for any help.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Normally, I'd suggest backup and restore to another unit (preferably with a guarantee, which may not be the cheapest one out there), but I'm going to defer to someone w/ actual iUniverse experience. Good luck!

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You've not indicated which gen iPad mini you have. I believe the 4th gen is discontinued but still receiving security updates, while the 5th gen is currently still in production and fully supported. Anything earlier than 4th gen is a dead product.

Personally, I wouldn't invest in a product that is likely to be a security vulnerability. Put the money into a new or currently supported device, and thank the mini for its service and retire it.

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I got my iPad Pro 11 in November 2019 and set it up from a backup of my iPad Mini-R (2012) made using iTunes a few hours earlier. The Mini is still on iOS 10.3.3, a very old iOS, purposely not upgraded and NEVER used on internet for that reason. I keep it in order to retain the use of many old, amusing games that we first saw in Palm, PopCap being the most notable maker. My point is that if you can backup the broken screen device, you may use that backup to set up a new iPad. :thumbsup: Just uninstall any apps that you'll be unable to run on the newest iPad OS if applicable. I'm waiting on the new iPad Mini to be released, too, and although my iPad Pro 11 is a dandy piece of tech, I have really missed the joy of using an iPad Mini on the internet. :vbcool:

scjjtt, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

After you've made your full backup and moved everything to the replacement device, you might want to to a full wipe/reset of the broken one. Open its Settings app, tap General, then Reset, then "Erase All Content and Settings." You'll have to enter the device's passcode, confirm you want to do the factory reset, then type in your iCloud password to remove it from the service. It will reboot into its setup screen.

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks. I guess backup and restore is probably the best. I assume that I need to install iTunes for that? This was just a semi-temporary device I was using for very basic stuff (watching Youtube videos and looking random stuff up). However, as you do, I accumulated some stuff that I'd like to keep access to.

As you can tell, I'm not a big iPad person (I actually do the heavier-duty stuff on an Android pad or my laptop), although I've come to like it, so as I noted, I may buy a new iPad Mini if they come up with an updated one.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.