Copying data bases between Desk Tops

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Jerry_NJ, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

I have a Palm DT 6.2.2 on my W7 64 bit notebook and a Palm DT 4.2 on my most recent past XP notebook. I'd like to copy the data files from the 6.2.2 onto the 4.2 by a copy and paste of applications (date book, contacts, memos). I tried copying the folder containing all the applications and something went wrong. I see the two use the same files names and extensions, e.g., Datebook.mdb so I assume the data bases are compatible. Maybe there are some differences between the two DTs t the aggregate level, if that is the case I think I should be able to past over the individual applications...may try and will report if successful.

What I am about here is moving my Palm DT operation back to the XP computer while I await some improvement in the W7 64 bit driver environment. :newpalm:

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I think copy and paste is not the way to go around this. Better try the following: export the data from PalmDesktop 6.2.2, and import it to PD 4.2.

PalmDesktop 4.x has export/import commands available in the menu. If the same holds true for PD 6.2.2, then things should be quite easy. PD 4.x has several export formats available, I guess the same is true fro PD 6.2.2. In any case, use a format that is supported by both. Most probably, *.csv is supported for Contacts, *.txt for memos, etc.

Since you already copy/pasted folders and files, I think it's best to start over: uninstall PD 4, delete any leftover folders and files, then reinstall. Then do the export/import.

Hope this helps

3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. My paste approach comes form what I have done in the past for recovery of lost data on the same DT, i.e., using a backup file of "datebook", say, and just writing in into the active file. I have, over the years had unexplained loss of data on the HH and the DT. I have never purchased the recommended data debug tool that some have had a good success with. Back to the point, I simply want to move my data to another computer that happens to have a different version of DT.

4. raspabalsa

I've also used the copy/paste method occasionally, but find the export/import procedure much more practical. For one, when you're done you still have the *.csv, *.txt, etc files, which make excellent backups of valuable data, and can be easily imported to other organizer programs.

Good luck!

5. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Well I ran amuck with export/import. Before trying harder to figure out why I was having problems deciding what to export (and how) let me note first something troubling, and I took "notes". There seems to be some data type mismatches between DT 4.3 and DT 6.2.2. For the items of specific interest to me: Case as noted.
    1) Memo DT 4.2 has memopad.dat
    DT 6.2.2 has MemoPad.mdb
    2) Date Book DT 4.2 has datebook.dat and datebook.mdb
    DT 6.2.2 has only DateBook.mdb
    3) Address Book DT 4.2 has address.dat and Address.mdb
    DT 6.2.2 has only Address.mdb

Now if that isn't troubling enough I get this problem when I try to export.
    It appears to me I have to export at the aggregate level of all applications, not a problem, but then none of the export types look usable as they are are: memo pad archive and three flavors of .txt.

I also tried to go down to the (again working to export from DT 6.2.2) application level of Datebook, Memo, and Address and I pick, for example, DateBook I get a "no item matches your search" in the main field of the dialog box and the same choices for "export type".

I am tempted to again try the copy/paste but to first change the application names form the DT 6.2.2 standard to the DT 4.2 standard. That said I don't know what to do about the address case where 6.2.2 has only the Address.mdb and the DT 4.2 has both Address.mdb and address.dat

I have over the years often used copy and paste at to recover data on the DT, but it was always the same version of the DT.

6. raspabalsa

I'm not sure I fully followed you there, but sounds as if PD 6.2 is not letting you export the data for unkonwn reasons... is this so? Perhaps you moved files out of place or you mismatched them at some point, and now PD 6.2 can't find them?

I don't use PD 6.2, so I'm not familiar with how it works. I'll see if I can get it installed to try. But don't hold your breath, my internet connection is lousy, so it may be some time until I can download the installer.

In the meantime, let's hope someone with more knowledge of PD 6.2 stops by to offer help.

7. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks for trying to follow along, I'm sure I don't have all the jargon correct. But, the file naming is obtained from the Windows (XP for DT 4.2 and W7 for DT 6.2.2), not the DT or its export. So it seems in the simplest form one could have problems moving a file Windows sees as a ".dat" to an environment that uses a ".mdb", see my last post for Memo for DT 4.2 and DT 6.2.2, respectively.

The DT 6.2.2 export function has a different look from DT 4.2, I'll not try to explain here, but I can say while I can find [MemoPad.mdb] I can't find anyway to export it as a "mdb" file. The export type is limited and seems to be stuck in the [Data Book Archive (*.dba)] type. I can't see making much use of that export.

8. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Access purchased Palm Software when PDT was at version 3.X, Palm further developed PDT to 4.X for use with it's new products. When Win released Vista, Access needed to update PDT and added Vista compatibility to 3.X and released it as 6.X. 4.X has many more data fields and features. This may explain the difference in naming convention, and why renaming the file extension will not work. The data files are not compatible between 6 and 4.

Hotsync will work. Just do a backup to SD card first. The Hotsync software knows what to do with the data, that's it's function.

Good luck and happy Palming :newpalm:

9. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks Josser.

I'm afraid I have gotten into a "No win" loop. I started out trying to simply move my Palm Z22 data to my new W7 64Bit environment. I then found the DT needed was the Access 6.2.2 but unfortunately it is only a partial solution, it doesn't support 64 bit for the sync or even any USB connection to the Z22. I then researched and found some has success with using an IR Dingle on the USB. I purchased one even though the drive situation didn't seem to be much better. I did fine one happy Z22 customer report on Amazon for use of the IR Dingle in W7 64Bit. This allowed me to use the hand held overwrite the DT to upload all my Z22 data onto the W7 computer DT. Then, when trying later to sync, the IR interface quite working... so I said I'll for not just keep using my XP environment for my Z22. But, I had already put in a lot of new data on the DT 6.2.2 and thus decided to Export/Import or just copy files from DT 6.2.2 to DT 4.2 and thus I'd gone full circle.. going back and finding I can't go back... my Z22 doesn't have much of the data I want to move back. The good news is a lot of the data is ther in XP land, I could manually type the new data in and got that way... I wonder if "driver land" will someday step up to the W7 64 bit environment. At this moment neither Palm nor Cable (forget the rest of the name - the Dongle supplier) are there.

10. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Update, the obvious can be hard to see at times. Without going again through why one would ever want to do the subject of this post, it did occur to me after looking as the specs on DT 6.2.2 that I should replace/update the XP based 4.2 to 6.2.2. That was easy and all the data, as far as one can tell, was preserved. Then, I took a copy of my Palm data from my W7 6.2.2 and patched it over the XP copy, bingo it was updated, a clone.

Now not to paint this as the final solution, when I took my Z22 set for cable update using the standard USB arrangement with only DateBook, Memo, Address set to overwrite the Z22 the DateBook and Address did the overwrite in fine shape (to my brief audit) but the Memo hung up and timed out. The memo data on the Z22 was lost. The Memo file is large, about 450 records, but the records are small to medium size (no more than 10 Kbytes I estimate). I wonder it that is the problem, too many records. As my main purpose for the Z22 is to have a pocket-able date and address book, I can live with no Memo data on it, still I wonder how I got this close and still come up short synchronizing (overwriting) the Z22.