Cool things about the LG G2

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jigwashere, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Not boring me either. It's almost exciting because I'm watching Almost Human right now and Dorian is running precipitously low on power.

lelisa13p likes this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

A fine episode. :newpalm:

scjjtt likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I got the over-the-air Spark update (temporarily losing root). LTE isn't officially here in Minneapolis, and usually I rely on 3G. I have seen the LTE connect a few times, but speeds are painfully slow. Expect one time today. I connected in the break room at work. I usually struggle to get any kind of connection there. Anyway, Speedtest reported 32Mbps down and 1.03Mbps up, and Ping test at 74ms. I have hope! :newpalm:

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  4. jigwashere

The stock File Manager can zip and unzip files.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

My best numbers are DL37/UL15.88/ping120; iirc, that was at a red traffic light between home & work -- I never get anything remotely close to that at either home or work…

jigwashere likes this.
  6. jigwashere

At home, I'm pretty sure I saw an LTE indicator on my screen today! It was brief. Sprint service lately has been a bit spotty with dropped calls and no signal. I'm hoping it's because they're upgrading the towers.

On another note, I've started bringing my OTG cable with me to the office. I don't need to lug a keyboard with me: I simply use the keyboard from my docking station with my G2 whenever I want to do a little more typing. :)

Battery life on my G2 has dropped a bit since the last software update. The primary culprit seems to be Google Play Services, at least according to various reports. Hopefully I can resolve this soon.

The AT&T version of the G2 was upgraded to KitKat recently, so I'm hoping Sprint will follow suit shortly.

All in all, this has been a wonderful phone.

7. jigwashere

KitKat was finally delivered over-the-air. I lost root, but hopefully can get it back in a few days.

8. jigwashere

Rooted!

Easy-button_1_.jpg

I'm still stock, but it's nice being rooted. :)

9. jigwashere

Update: I've been on KitKat for a while, now. Functionally, there really isn't much difference that I can tell (or really care about). I use Nova Launcher Pro and noticed some weird behavior in landscape mode. It's probably because I have too many rows/columns, but even when I reduce them to match LG's homescreen, it shrinks them down. I've considered using the stock homescreen, but I'm not big into change lately.

Having a phone w/o removable storage hasn't been much of an issue for me. My daily usage patterns don't require me having much data/video/music installed. I do have to manage pics/videos more diligently, but that's probably a good thing. I simply use external memory when I travel.

Battery life has been fantastic. I'm not using any battery mods except for Lux Auto Brightness (enjoyed the Lite version and upgraded yesterday) and usually let background syncing, location awareness, etc., run wild. I removed my phone from the charger around 8 this morning, and at 10 PM I still have 50%. I was on the phone for 1.5 hours, 1 hour screen time, and DroidTV downloaded the latest episodes of The Colbert Report and The Daily Show over 3G. I've forgotten to charge my phone overnight a few times, but simply shut it off, plug it in, and it's fully charged by the time I've gotten the kids to the bus stop and my sorry ass off to the salt mine.

LTE coverage has been poor. At home, I sometimes get LTE to kick in late at night when I care the least. Speedtests have been as high as a dizzying 32.54Mb down and 6.21Mb up. No, that's not normal by any stretch, but hopefully holds. I had a week or three with multiple annoying call drops, but that seems to have gotten better recently.

I've been meaning to get into a Sprint store to see how a different LG G2 performs in terms of video recording. While still photos are fine, video images get blurry when I zoom in. I thought if it were a software defect, others would have complained and/or it would've been resolved with software upgrades, but at this point I simply want to compare side-by-side with another G2. I'd love to get this fixed. Time isn't on my side.

I keep my phone in a TPU case with the Flygrip attached. I don't think about the bulk too often, but have considered losing the case. The Flygrip has proven its worth. I wish I had purchased one sized for thinner fingers, but this works fine. I highly recommend it.

10. jigwashere

Capture Plus

I rarely use LG's included browser, but it has a few tricks up its sleeve. Capture Plus, available in the menu, takes a full, scrolling screenshot of a web page. For example:

WEBPAGE_20140604_213753.jpg