Cool things about the LG G2

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by jigwashere, Dec 21, 2013.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I just wanted to start a list of things I like about my LG G2. I'll probably list a few things I don't care for, too. :rolleyes:

While video recording, I can click the camera button to take a picture. In the past, I was the geeky dad holding two devices while my kids acted cute. Now, I'm the nerdy dad with a phablet. The camera seems to take very nice pics and videos, too. More on that after my upcoming trip to Florida. :cool:

Last night, I was reading an article I saved to Pocket and decided to email it. When I clicked the share symbol, I noticed an option to print. As an experiment, I clicked it and it showed me the two wireless printers on my network. Both work -- perfectly! One is a Brother laser printer, the other a Canon color inkjet.

I like having the power and volume buttons on the back. Or, I think I do. Anyway, it's surprising how handy it is to have them there rather than the sides. I can imagine there would be times (like when docked) that it might not be the right spot. Anyway, it's funny how I reach for the back on other devices now. :)

Battery life has been very good, even though I work in an environment with terrible signal strength. On most days, I end up with about 50% power when I leave the building. With my E4GT, I'd be at 0% by 3PM unless I turned off radios, etc. When I turn off data on the G2, I get get to noon and still be in the 90's. A few times, a rogue app seems to take over, and I haven't been able to track that down. But it's rare. My usage sometimes increases at night, so having a low battery with no way of swapping it is a bummer. The nice thing is I can put the G2 on a charger and pick up my E4GT and seamlessly continue reading RSS feeds, saved articles on Pocket, and check my forums. What's not seamless are things like my podcasts (does anyone know of a podcast app that keeps things in sync between devices?). If I didn't have my E4GT, the fact I sometimes need to swap devices would be a good excuse to get something like the Nexus 7. Hmmm..... :D Anyway, the G2 charges very quickly, so it hasn't been an issue.

I haven't used the Meenova external SD card reader much, but I do love it. I keep it on my keychain. It's going to come in very handy on my next trip.

I'm in the process of figuring out cloud storage (Box, Dropbox, and SkyDrive). I have them all installed on my phone, but at the moment it's a management issue. My Dropbox is full from previous usage, so I need to clean that up. I'm not sure of the others, but Box has a file size limit so I'll need to work on a way to upload larger video files. Cloud storage for me will primarily be for transferring media like photos and video. I like the Dropbox is integrated into the G2.

RickAgresta, Hook and weegie like this.
  2. jigwashere

I often use the "knock knock" feature to turn my phone on. It's rarely fussy and often convenient. I don't typically turn off my phone this way, preferring the power button on the back.

The remote control is kind of fun and was extremely easy to set up. It has some fancy features, but I doubt I'll use them.

The phone comes with a cool clipboard feature that lets me clip multiple items and then gives me a nice way to paste them.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the wireless storage feature is nice. I have my G2 set up as a network drive on my PC.

I'm happy with the way the dialer works. It has speed dial, which is important to me. Samsung phones have speed dial. I don't think the HTC One had it. Does the Nexus 5?

The included timer is similar to the Samsung version, which I like.

The stock launcher is actually pretty nice, but I prefer Nova.

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I wish more smartphone cameras offered that ability to shoot stills during video. That was a great feature of the HTC Evo 4G LTE (and others).

4. jigwashere

Guest Mode is another cool feature. I can give my phone to my child and they'll only be able to access the apps I allow. This feature is configured in settings. I enable it by using a pattern unlock that's different than my usual pattern unlock.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  5. jigwashere

I'm a dork. I just figured out how to upload to my Picasa account. Um...I'm pretty sure that capability has always been around in Gallery app and I just wasn't paying attention. :rolleyes: Anyway, that's the primary location I want to send my photos and video.

6. jigwashere

In the File Manager, I can navigate to a folder, long press it, and create a shortcut to it on my home screen. Very nice!

WiFi Advanced settings allows me to set WiFi turn on/turn off times. I have it scheduled to turn off at 8:30 AM and on at 5:30PM. Unfortunately, it's daily and I can't have different setting for the weekend.

The task manager has a feature to Auto clear RAM at a regular interval. I have it set to clear every 12 hours. I'm assuming this is a good feature.

Without rooting, the task manager also allow me to turn off services for apps. The only down side is that it turns off all services for an app, so control isn't granular.

QSlide apps are apps that can be put into a floating window for multitasking. It includes Videos, Phone, Calendar, Email, Memo, File Manager, Calculator, and Voice Mate. I don't use this feature much, but it's nice to be able to see an email and easily copy data into a contact. The floating calculator is nice, too. These QSlide apps can be resized and made translucent. I just learned tonight that I can slide the window to the side and it turns into a little icon for quick access (rather than closing and reopening).

The G2 has a feature called Slide Aside that, with a 3-finger sliding gesture, allows me to put switch between up to 3 open apps. Actually, I can slide 3 apps aside while working on a 4th. Anyway, I've tried this feature but haven't really found it useful. It's a bit quicker than long-pressing the home icon and selecting recently opened apps, so I suppose it has some value for multitasking. I guess I just don't typically use my phone this way.

At work, I'm not allowed to connect external memory devices to my PC. To charge my G2, I simply go into Settings > PC Connection > Select USB connection method, and change it from MTP (or PTP) to 'Charge phone.' All I need is a microUSB cable to charge my phone -- I don't need a wall wart (even thought that would be faster).

I can plug in my earbuds to listen while still using the mic on the phone. This was a feature on my TP2, but not E4GT. Funny, both the G2 and TP2 earphone jacks are at the bottom of the phone, which isn't my preference. However, that's also where the mic is located, so I just pop the phone into my shirt pocket upside-down. :rolleyes:

I just paired my G2 with my PC. Now, when I play music (or video) on the G2, the sound comes from my PC speakers. I suppose this isn't unique to the G2, but I haven't done this with another device.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    scjjtt and weegie like this.
  7. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Good one jig, I like hearing what people like and dislike about their new model, almost got one of these instead of the One, only thing that put me off was some users complaining of motion blur with the camera.
    I didn't mind the LG software at all, it seemed easy enough to tone down and had quite an amazing array of options to customize a lot of different things.
    Good to hear the battery life is serving you well after your E4GT problems :thumbsup:

jigwashere likes this.
  8. jigwashere

I'm a bit nervous taking my phone on this trip. Opportunities to charge will be few and far between, so this will be a big test. I passed on buying an external battery on sale earlier this week. I hope I don't regret it.

I'll probably turn data off much of the time, which should help immensely. I think my phone was showing 100% this morning, even after a few phone calls. But once I started trying to do anything internet-wise, it drained pretty quickly. Of course, that's most likely because of the absolutely terrible signal strength inside the building.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. jigwashere

Oh, god, I'm such a whiny little baby! I'm going on vacation for crying out loud! If the stupid battery dies, that'll be a good thing. I need an intervention (and clearly you guys are nothing but enablers :rolleyes:).

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

there, there, jig....warm beverage?

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.