Converting to HBO Max

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EdmundDantes, Jan 8, 2021.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Okay, this may be the dumbest question asked here in a long time; but I can't seem to figure out how to convert my HBO subscription on Verizon FiOS to HBO Max on a Roku (which just got the feature about 2 weeks ago). I Googled around and there seem to be several threads addressing this issue with no answers. Both the HBO page and the cable pages are frustratingly circular in referring you to someone else to solve the problem. My brother-in-law luckily had set up HBO Go, which basically converted automatically; but I never set that up because I never really watch premium video on a phone or tablet.

I was able to add the channel icon to Roku; but there does not seem to be a way to add your cable credentials so that you don't have to pay twice.

Has anyone successfully converted their existing HBO cable subscription on a device like a Roku? I've seen that even AT&T Cable customers are having issues and AT&T and HBO are part of the same corporate family.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

That's the problem. There is HBO Max and HBO Go. They aren't the same. They'll likely lead you intentionally astray and trick you into paying for HBO Go just to get it to work.

I don't have any cable subscription, nor HBO, so I can't be of any further assistance... :(

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Although indeed Roku has it (I have Roku), it doesn't make the conversion automagically. You have to delete your HBO GO (or whatever) channel and then add the HBO Max channel on your TV (if you go to the Roku website, it will say you already have it even though it doesn't appear). It won't let you add HBO Max until you delete the older channel.

Again, to be clear, you have to do this on the Roku home screen on your TV, not on the website.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

@EdmundDantes have you tried setting up an account directly with HBO Max? Admittedly I have a separate HBO Max account, but I could have sworn it asked me if I had cable credentials when I logged in somewhere.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  5. Hook

I don't recall if it made me log in again when I deleted HBO Home or whatever it was called and added HBO MAX. I don't think it did, but it's not clear. It does, of course,ask you to log in the first time. This is actually a separate HBO MAX account, no subscribed through Roku. I prefer having separate accounts and just using Roku to supply the app.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

HBO Go was really the same as HBO, it just let you watch HBO on-demand on wireless devices like phones and tablets. You got it free with HBO. HBO Now, was for cord-cutters who wanted HBO but didn't have a cable package. I believe they too also got automatic conversion.

Hook, we never had any HBO channel icon on our Roku, so there was nothing to delete. As I noted, I added the HBO Max channel, but it looks like I'd have to pay Roku to get access, rather than converting my existing HBO account through FiOS.

And QF, I can't really cancel HBO without cancelling my whole cable package, which is problematic. HBO is not really separate; it's part of the premium movie channel group. I will see if I can sign-up directly on an HBO Max webpage or something. I'm not sure how that then converts to Roku recognizing that I already have an account though.

scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  7. Hook

Ed, it sounds like you were just watching HBO via TV, not using Roku. I don't have Cable TV so everything is done through Roku apps, though none are subscribed through Roku. I would expect that the HBO MAx app would ask for the cable service (in your case FIOS) on first opening the app and you might have to set a login once approved. Or you might have to do that on the web first and then you can use the Roku app. The app isn't going through ROKU-- it is logging in to HBO Max.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've had HBO for years. On all of my Apple devices I had HBO Go also, which I was instructed to delete and to install HBO Max instead. I log in using my Comcast ID and PW and I can watch. There is an upper tier for HBO Max which requires a specific Max (Extra or Ultra or some nonsense name) subscription but I haven't yet been denied any content.