Convert Garmin IQ adress

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by iquser, Nov 28, 2012.

1. iquser

iquser Newbie

I have IQ 3200 and still use it. I pick up Garmin Nuvi 50 for $69 in Walmart black Friday sale. Now I need to transfer my address info to Nuvi 50. I t seems that is not simple task. Read the forum and understand a little difference of way point, favorite and POI. For my understand these term, my goal is converting IQ address book or waypoint with address and phone number into POI or custom POI with same information. Most forum discussion only involve waypoint transfer with mapsousce without address and phone number or relate to track transfer.I have very large database came from Act! and now in Garmin IQ palm address book and some of them is waypoint. I image I need some software to convert IQ waypoint to some format which is accepted for garmin poi loader.For a address which is not waypoint, I need to convert to POI or way point.
    Could expert here for IQ and Nuvi 50 give me some direction here? or pointouingt that is impossible.
    Thanks

2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Mobile Deity

There is a program called PDtoGPX that will work. I have not used it for a long time so I can't remember whether it transfers more than the name and coordinates.

If you want to try it you should be able to find it in the folder at the link below. Let me know if you cannot access the folder. It should be public.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=431d...147&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&sc=Documents

You need to export your waypoints from the Palm Desktop to a CSV file. Then select that file in the PDtoGPX screen and it will create a GPX file that you can open in Mapsource or Basecamp.

...ken...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  3. iquser

iquser Newbie

Thanks.I have managed transfer name and coordinate only. I have to play round data format to get a run.The result is not very satisfied because I cannot include address after name. bu t it is better than nothing.

4. Ken in Regina

If you have successfully transferred the names and coordinates to a GPX file there is a way to get the rest if you are okay with a little bit of work.

You can load GPX files into Excel. They are a specific case of the XML language so if Excel asks you what type of file it is when you try to open it with Excel just tell it XML.

That will get you columns with the names and latitude and longitude.

You can do another export of the same waypoints from the Palm Desktop into CSV format and open it with Excel in a seperate worksheet.

Now you need to merge to two worksheets. You will need to do two things.

First, you need to make sure that you have the same names in both worksheets and in the same order because the next step is to simply cut/paste the Latitude and Longitude columns from the GPX worksheet into the CSV worksheet with the rest of the address/phone number/category info.

Once you have a single worksheet with all of the information you want to load into Mapsource you need to make sure you have the column headings labeled correctly and save the worksheet as a CSV file.

Finally, you can run the CSV file through an online converter called GPS Babel to convert it to GPX.

I apologize if that sounds complicated but it will work and it's a little easier than the other option. That is, there is a way to convert those coordinate entries from the Custom 4 field using some calculations in a spreadsheet. So you could export all the data you need into a single CSV file and load it into Excel. Then you would need to run each of the coordinates through the conversion calculations to convert them from the Garmin hexadecimal semicircle notation into regular decimal format coordinates. If you do not have too many entries this would not be awful. Let me know if you want the cell formulas you would need.

If I find something better I will post it here.

...ken...

5. Ken in Regina

There is another way to get the coordinates along with everything else you want. It requires that you have the Garmin version 4.1 of the Palm Desktop installed and also the addin to Edit Waypoint Location.

You can export everything you need except the Custom 4 field to a CSV file and then import it to Excel. That part is pretty easy. Then, with that Excel spreadsheet open you can add two new columns for Lat and Lon.

In the Palm Desktop you can select the first waypoint, click on the Edit Location addin icon (right side of the toolbar beside the User: name). In the Location dialog window that opens, click on the Edit Location button. From there you can cut/paste the coordinates into the appropriate fields of the spreadsheet.

This is a tedious process so it is only good if you do not have too many waypoints to do.

Since you have already got PDtoGPX working and the waypoint coordinates converted, I still think my first suggestion is the least work ... to open the GPX file with the coordinates into a spreadsheet, export the rest of the info into another spreadsheet and merge the coordinates with the rest of the data.

I am posting alternatives mostly because others may have different situations where they might find them easier.

...ken...

6. Adam Helberg

Adam Helberg Mobile Deity

The way I transferred my contacts from Palm to iPhone, is first imported to Yahoo mail, and then to iPhone. I don't recall all the details, but I found this method on the internet.

Adam