Consumer Reports Rates The PDAs

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Steve, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

2. gfunkmagic

gfunkmagic Mobile Deity

Interesting analysis. Is there a link to the article? Thanks...

3. Vispi

Vispi Mobile Deity

The consumer report read like last season style magazine or last christmas buying guide.

It's too late and almost irrelevant. The PPC they recommend isn't not even in catalog anymore.

4. imported_Vornadito

imported_Vornadito In too deep...

You are right...it is out of date...
    Where is the wi-fi analysis?
    Where is the mention of anything with 128 RAM????

5. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

I've added a link to it in the article. However, you need to be a subscriber to read the report. Or you can purchase the magazine, which is still available in stores.

6. pocketfactory

pocketfactory Mobile Deity

I'd say this report is past its expiration date. Some of these models are discontinued, and so many current products are missing from this list. Sony SJ20? Yeah, that's a "modern" PDA. :rolleyes:

Earth to CR...pull your head out of your editor's bum and go look around a Consumer Electronics store before writing these fart provoking reviews. :rolleyes:

7. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

Now that would be useful!

8. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

Hmm, I thought it was an excellent article for someone looking to purchase a PDA. It included several recent PDAs, including the Zire 71 and HP iPAQ h1910. It clearly stated that the Toshiba e740 it recommended was "discontinued, but similar models are available." And it did have an explanation of wireless connectivity and indicated which devices had Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Cell Phone capabilities in its chart.

Sure, it doesn't include this month's PDAs, but remember that it's a print publication, with 30-90 days lead time on articles.

9. gfunkmagic

gfunkmagic Mobile Deity

I think all the geeks here need to chill. This guide by Consumer Reports is meant for the average consumer layman, not technophiles like us. Seriously, what geek here would read CR for an in dept analysis of a PDA? :rolleyes: Thus it doesn't matter if the report is up to date with the latest specs of models, b/c most of the people reading it probably woudn't buy the latest/greatest anyway...

10. imported_robman

imported_robman Mobile Consultant

This is pathetic. Millions of people trust Consumer Reports to provide them with fair, unbiased, and accurate information to guide their purchases. Please join me in writing CR to complain about the poor quality of this article. Their website lists the following address:

Consumer Reports Online
    Web Site Customer Relations Department
    101 Truman Avenue
    Yonkers, NY 10703

If you are a subscriber or know of a more direct method for submitting letters to the editor, please post to this discussion.

Though it probably goes without saying, PLEASE DO NOT mention Brighthand in your letter! Thanks.

11. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

If you do that, please do not mention Brighthand in your letters. I do not agree with your assessment and do not wish Brighthand to be mentioned in conjunction with it. Thanks.

12. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I agree with Steve, with one caveat: it's an excellent article for someone looking to purchase their first PDA.

13. pocketfactory

And that is exactly why this article is flawed. The purpose of this guide is to compare all current product choices to consumers and present them with clear, concise choices from which to base a purchase decision.

But this list is incomplete and outdated. Take the SJ20 for example; It was discontinued by Sony MONTHS ago. How is CR serving its subscribers by recommending dead products? Imagine the reaction when readers go to their nearest electronics store(s) to find this product?

And what about the TG50? Perhaps some consumers would prefer a keyboard rather than pen-based input? That device wasn't even covered here.

No matter how you cut it, this review is flawed and incomplete.

14. pocketfactory

I think you hit the nail on the head. But in that case, CR shouldn't have bothered reviewing any other PDAs, just the Zire.

15. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

This issue also has ratings on blenders. So I was wondering, do you think there are some "blender enthusiasts" bashing CR's ratings, and how it overlooked the new Waring blender that just came out last month? I read that article looking to understand more than I currently know about blenders, and see which it recommends. When I go to Best Buy to buy one, however, I'll still look around and likely see a new model or two. But the CR article will have educated me on what to look for.

The same goes with this article. Maybe it's not for "us" -- the PDA elite -- who follow this every day (much to our wives' and girlfriends' dismay ;). But it is for the average consumer and it did provide solid information for them.

16. pocketfactory

It did? Ok Steve, in that case I want you to write up a buyers guide for new users....and recommend the SJ20. ;)

17. Steve

Steve Brighthand Founder

18. Skoobouy

Skoobouy Mobile Deity

I've said it before, but...

The Zire is a Scam.

And there they go praising it again. :rolleyes: Compare it to the SJ20: the latter gets 14MB more RAM, double the resolution, Memory Stick, all the buttons, jog dial, all for $30 more than the Zire. And they gave it a second place?

I'm also surprised the iPaq 1910 didn't get any significant mention--I would have thought it would at least snag a prize for Size. Then again, the "average consumer" would never overclock, and the iPaq 1910 is a little pokey @ 200MHz. Plus it would probably rank with the Audiovox Thera in terms of battery life. At least, that's what I guess they would say. Hey Ed, did I guess right?

19. robrecht

robrecht Pretty Good Member

Blender enthusiasts! I think SONY is coming out with a new blender that uses proprietary fruit in its smoothies. Unfortunately, the new Banana PRO cannot be used in the older SONY blenders.

20. pocketfactory

Good lord, it hasn't been discontinued? I could swear I read somewhere they had killed the product 2 months ago. Oh well, my goof. I withdraw my earlier statements.

Actually, I'm glad Sony is still producing this device. But the pricing is off ($129 is too high for monochrome PDA). :( Palm needs some competition at the sub-$100 range of the PDA market.

Move along. Nothing more to see here. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.