Constant recalibration

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by swieder, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_Stitch

imported_Stitch Experiment 626

I guess I'm just good. I've now been more careful with it and don't have to hit it as much, but when I use the slider (which isn't that often) it tends to affect it, so I give it a few good whacks in it's armour until it's reasonable again.

It does work though. If you want proof I could try and make a video of it, but I'd prefer to avoid that hassle and just have you believe me :p

This issue seems to be a definite problem with the digitizer not being mounted correctly, or being held inside the unit properly. Has anyone who's opened it made notes on how it's held in there (or if it is a "floating" mount without any attachments to the chassis) It would make sense if it was simply a floating mount for it to eventually get shaken loose and then could get knocked out of alignment by a shock then a shock would be able to knock it back into place.

But all I have is theories, and I'm not too sure I'd like to verify my theories by voiding my warranty......

2. jackisidore

jackisidore Newbie

My TT never had ANY digitizer problems. It was loaded with software and I never installed the old digitizer patch.
    I needed the latest update for correcting the other big problem (bluetooth network access).
    The result is a drifting digitizer....

3. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Mobile Evangelist

jackisidore,

Everyone is different, but how long have you had your TT? The digitizer problem seems to evolve over a period of several months of use. The cumulative nature of the minor shocks of daily use must cause something in the TT to become loose. Stitch is right, if you give the TT a little tap in just the right place, you can make the digitizer get back in line...sometimes :)

4. tstetz

tstetz Mobile Enthusiast

I'm afraid mine has the digitizer issue as well :(. I've only had it a week now and I've had to recalibrate quite a few times already.

5. lymph

lymph Mobile Enthusiast

Mine has developed the problem, too. It's an open-box from Best Buy and I've had it for 10 days.

I bought the extra warranty, so maybe I'll take it back and see if I can exchange it for a TT2 sometime later. I think I can live with it for now.

6. tstetz

tstetz Mobile Enthusiast

Ugh, same deal as me. Mine was also an open box from Best Buy.

7. imported_Stitch

Mine is a refurb from Palm after the cracked screen accident (*CRIES*). I've now figured a better way to get my digitizer to go back into place. By fiddling with my slider so that the clicking it does when the slider locks, it seems to do a good job that doesn't look or feel as brutal as knocking the tungsten from the side.

I don't know what to do anymore, I don't want to have to pay for shipping again, and have to deal with this defect again. Unfortunately the extended warranty from Futureshop is useless.... Unless Palm acknowledges this defect and has corrected it, I think all of us first generation Tungsten T owners are stuck with a time bomb defect....

8. instaGATOR

Stitch,

Another thread on this TT board referred to this web site: http://wjcabc.njcity.com/index.htm There you will find photos of a disassembled TT. Check out the four contacts at the lower left side of the digitizer. Could these be the issue? It could explain why the slider slapping can bring the TT back into alignment.

Attached Files:

9. imported_Stitch

I'm not sure... I'd have to open it up to see exactly, but if pressure from the chassis pushes the connectors against the PCB enough times, it might interfere with the electrical signals.... But I don't even know exactly what that set of connectors does....

Do we have any engineers in the house?

Maybe I'll take it apart, see if there is any actual shifting of components inside the body (and if the digitizer is shifting). I'll let you all know later today.

10. instaGATOR

Stitch,

On the new Digitizer Drift Poll thread, Tungsten DT wrote "My T|T worked great for months before gradually losing digitizer alignment repeatedly each day. After a while it was so bad that I stopped using my T|T altogether. In frustration, I took a few minutes to take it apart to look for what the problem might be. It didn't take long for me to see that the contacts for the screen looked a bit discolored and ozidized" Maybe these are the contacts that he is talking about.

11. imported_Stitch

Currently, I've got my Tungsten sitting in front of me in pieces.... not pretty, but anyways...

The G2 Screen protect I had destroyed a great deal of the cushioning for the screen.... As for the contacts, I'm looking at that currently, but I don't want to put it back together without replacing the cushion material...

Any guess on what would be a good substitute?

As well, the glue that was used on this thing is some sort of "rubber-glue", the type that they use to put the CD holders onto the back of Maximum PC magazines. Any guesses where I can find more of that?

Next...cleaning the contacts..urgh...

12. instaGATOR

Stitch,

Did it work? Still drifting? Do tell!

13. imported_Stitch

It worked!!!!

I do have some theories though....

1. The connectors are fairly flimsy (NEED MOLEX CONNECTORS!!! lol) so they could come loose over time (and abuse)

The connectors may have been oxidized, but I'm not too sure as I don't know what material they used for the connectors. I did scrape them a little with a flat head screwdriver just to be on the safe side (as Tungsten DT had done).

2. The screen can SHAKE within the chassis (there isn't any paddings on the sides of the inner casing for side to side shock protection) So I wedged a piece of a plastic knife in to it to prevent it from moving at all (that was fun!)

3. I had also noticed the screws in the slider mechanism seem to be quite loose, so I think tightening them a little may help, but again, I took the whole thing apart and did everything so I'm not sure. It does seem to slide a lot better, more like a brand new-out of the box sort of slide :)

4. The digitizer which is of course underneath the screen is encompassed in a metal plate, but there wasn't any movement from inside of it, so that throws the whole "digitizer is physically shifting inside" theory out the window.

In Conclusion: I'm pretty sure it's those flimsy connectors that have been causing us problems. You still need to take the unit completely apart to fasten them together again (maybe glue on the connectors?) But, the only way to be sure is to try it yourself, or to wait to see if me and Tungsten DT have the problem again... Which doesn't help very much, I'm afraid.

As for those who haven't had the problem, I imagine that they are the very careful type-don't abuse it, drop it, huck it into a backpack with computer parts or text books. They don't abuse it enough for the connectors to come loose.

I've also learned that the "slide under the edges of the screen" screen protectors DESTROY the cushioning for the screen, so I'm not recommending them any more. That may have led to my screen cracking before (I was using the G2s when my screen cracked before).

I hope this helps us in reaching a conclusion and determining the problem exactly.

14. instaGATOR

Great job Stitch! I guess I am going to have to try it myself.

Thanks for your comments.

15. jankjo

jankjo Mobile Deity

LOL.....a plastic knife!

I am impressed that you had the guts to take the thing apart...
    You indicate that the screen can move but the digitzer seems fixed. I wonder if small movements of the screen relative to the digitzer effect its alignment.

When you say the slider works better...is it more stiff or less stiff than before you took the palm apart?

16. rhubarb

rhubarb Mobile Deity

Hmm. I had a different problem with my screen. A few months ago I noticed a bright light on the left hand edge. This turned out to be the edge of the glass screen itself which seemed to have moved slightly to the rigth. It's usually hidden so that you have to look in at an angle to see it. This also meant that the black "dead" part of the screen that frames the visible part was out of alignment, being thicker on the left and on an angle - so my screen was rotated a few degrees clockwise with respect to the TT itself.

After a few minutes of deep worrying and self doubt, nearly convincing myself that the problem had always been there and I hadn't noticed it before - I gave the TT a firm whack against my palm and the screen went back to its proper position.
    The problem reoccurs and is fixed the same way once every week or so.

Interestingly this problem has never affected the digitizer. The digitizer has remained accurate both when the screen is out of alignment and after I knock it back in.

Then, suddenly, a month ago (sound familiar) I started getting digitizer drift.

I had the same problem on my Palm V after 3 years and I'm sure its a hardware problem.
    I'm going to send mine in to get both of these problems fixed (hey maybe they'll offer me an upgrade to a T2!? - okay wishful thinking).

Can someone tell me what the process is for sending in for warranty repair in Europe (I live in Portugal). What is the advance replacement plan and how does it work and does it work for subsequent repairs? Where will I have to send it and will I have to pay?

17. imported_Stitch

The slider is more stiff, and feels smoother (mine is a refurb from Palm, so the slider never did seem to slide quite as smooth as the new from the box ones did).

OH, one thing I forgot to mention was that behind the metal of the front it's plastic inside, and the plastic has structural "ribs" which could eventually with enough abuse be broken (at least I think so). So the screen could get knocked pretty out of place if any of the ribs broke.

The spot that I wedged a piece of plastic knife (part of the handle I cut out then ground a little off to fit with a Xacto Knife) is between 2 ribs right underneath the headphone jack hole in the front chassis.

18. imported_Stitch

bump...

Still working :)

19. pbas

pbas Newbie

Followed Stitch...

Noticed that my 6 month T was drifting 5 - 20 pixels a day, only when carrying in my front pocket.

I ignored 3. party software issues.

Took it apart, rocked the connectors between motherboard and screen, put it together...
    Button-cable glue was reuseable.
    I did NOT enjoy to take it apart (felt delicate), but it was otherwise quite useless...

Absolutely no drift now (5 days)

Palm has something to address here!

20. ianjd

ianjd Mobile Deity

They had exactly the same problem and cause with the V series, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.