Constant recalibration

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by swieder, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY TT owner

NY TT owner Be quick or be dead

i am going to do it....

I will post results later

2. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Mobile Evangelist

Go NY!! I am waiting for your report. It could become the cure for this calibration disease!

3. NY TT owner

NY TT owner Be quick or be dead

Insagator

This is what i found..Nothing! i got as far as the slider before i had no more balls to go on. I did remember though another thread on a disambled TT I looked there and i came to one conclusion. ( i bumped that thread)

Everthing is so closly knit that moderate shocks are enough to push everthing out of whack. in other words i think its the size and the flimsly plastic. AND THOSE DAMN SCREWS!

Here is that thread

4. klw

klw Guest

I've had my TT completely disassembled serveral times. I had a loose digitizer and used shims to get it correct. Took some doing; it was a trial and error sort of thing.

The thing to remember is that when removing the back you must twist it so the left rail comes out first (check the pics out in a thread that was started recently to see what I mean here).

Also, once you've got the screws off, you'll have to carefully pry the back off. The shims I put in also corrected a problem I had where I could twist my PDA and the digitizer would register a tap in the lower right hand corner. When its too tight, the digitizer simply doesn't work, and when it's too loose, the digitizer moves in the case (a few people have been complaining about this btw). However, I've never seen relative tightness cause digitizer drift before. Perhaps a change in relative tightness is what causes it.

The little screws are bears btw; I got my screwdriver kit at Sears. It also has a number 6 torx driver for those of you who still own M515's....

5. boredomjockey

boredomjockey Mobile Consultant

I'll second that. I'm having the same problem (digitizer frequently gets un-calibrated, most dramatic on right side of screen). After I recalibrate, all it takes is the shock of snapping the slider open or closed to knock the calibration off.

I thought this might be something specific to the slider mechanism, but I found the same thing happens if I tap the unit on the top or bottom without opening or closing the slider; it knocks the calibration off.

Does anyone remember seeing a solution for this in any of the many, many threads on this subject? (I've been browsing through them to no avail.) Truly a vexing problem.

-Christopher

6. russlay

russlay Newbie

I joined this forum specifically for this problem. My Palm is 7 months old, and I began having calibration problems about four weeks ago. I removed the only new software I had installed in the last few weeks (Jot Complete), but that hasn't solved the problem. I am recalibrating as much as four times a day, to as little as once every two days.

Like many in this thread, I have noticed the problem is more likely to occur when I turn it on using the slider. Typically, it manifests itself by launching an application to the left of what I tapped.

My inclination is that this is a problem Palm should be dealing with, given the large number of complaints on this small thread. Be it software (the only 3rd party software I use came "recommended" by Palm in their email ads) or hardware, I think Palm owes some answers--especially for what this thing cost last year when I purchased it!

7. Upponalle

Upponalle Mobile Evangelist

I have my T|T since January this year. I can't remember when the calibration problem started, but yes I have it too.
    I had a few hard reset and afterwards I always installed the bit T|T patch, which seemed to help for a while, but then the problem started again.
    I tried DigFix (I think someone was asking about it in this thread), but I had the impression that it made things worse.
    Over the weekend, I will make another hard reset, clean up my T|T (leaving out LauncherX) & will not install the big update again. Let's see what will happen.
    I keep you posted :)

Cheers,

8. jankjo

jankjo Mobile Deity

Good luck!
    I finally sent mine back for a new unit. I am happy to say that the new unit works great!....for now

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man 42

This is the exact same run-around I got from my local Best Buy. In fact, the service "technician" informed me that the digitizer was a "software issue" and that software problems are not covered by the extended warrenty. He assumed that since the recalibration "fixed" the problem (even if the fix was temporary) then there was no problem to begin with and therefore no reason to exchange the unit. I wasn't as persistent as you, so unfortunately, I still have a funky unit. The digitizer had been solid for months, then suddenly I have to recalibrate daily and sometimes several times a day.

Edit: Further investigation reveals that physical shock is the definite culprit! Opening and closing the slider can cause digitizer drift, but I found that it shifted much more dramatically if I tapped my T|T gently on its left or right side! Just a few gentle taps on one side or the other would cause the digitizer to noticably drift to that side. I confirmed it by calibrating my digitizer then opening Note Pad and drawing from top to bottom. Once I confirmed that the digitizer was accurately calibrated, I tapped it lightly on its right side, and after a few such taps, the digitizer had substantially shifted to the right confirmed by the fact that further verticle lines were now drawing to right of the stylus tip. I was able to repeat this experiment several times.

So it would seem that something inside the unit is physically shifting to the right or to the left (and possibly up and down, but I didn't test this) meaning that there is a definite design flaw in the Tungsten|T that seems to manifest itself after several months.

So is this the problem? Do I get the prize?

10. Convert2

Convert2 Mobile Deity

I've started to experience subtle digitizer drift again, after a couple on months of none, but I cannot reproduce your results Mountain Man :(

11. PalmerTT

PalmerTT Mobile Deity

Ditto.
    Digitizer is drifting again, after a few weeks of stability. Almost always at the right 1/3 of the screen, and the shift is ALWAYS horizontal, never vertical...:confused:
    Can't reproduce Mountain Man's experiment either...

12. jankjo

jankjo Mobile Deity

I wish I had tried Mountain Man's experiment before I sent mine back, but I do remember that the drift was sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical, and sometimes both.

13. singsong

singsong Mobile Deity

I've read these threads about digitizer shift with great interest - I don't think it has been concluded whether this is a problem endemic to all TT users (potentially a result of an inherently flawed slider), or just for a few unlucky who received faulty TT's from the beginning.

I've had my TT since November - early on, I used the slider several times a week (as a result of aggressive software installation). In the last 3-4 months, IIRC, I've opened the slider less than 5 times. I've never had a digitizer problem - I calibrated once out of the box and never more.

For those with intermittent or persistent digitizer shift, how often do you use your slider?

14. len_dejesus

len_dejesus Mobile Deity

I had my unit replaced in May, and I barely use the slider, only to do a reset, or to access the menu in a few apps where Okey didn't work. I sometime get the drift, and is always horizontal, with the right-hand side being off to the left or right by about 5-10 or more pixels. Wonder if it has anything to do with heat, as I am travelling to Sacramento where it is about 100+, and I got the drift a couple of times.

As for my original unit, it also had horizontal drift, with the same symtoms above.

15. SimonSays

SimonSays Mobile Consultant

Coming to a TT near you soon:
    Eternal Frustration
    by Digitizer Drift

16. russlay

russlay Newbie

Has anyone considered getting someone from Palm to check out this and the other threads on the forum and perhaps get a response?

Also, for those interested, I use grafitti in the writable space beneath the slider, so I use the slider a lot. My drift has always been on the right side.

17. action49

action49 Guest

Argh! The drift bug has caught up with the antipodes. I was smugly following this thread and thanking my lucky stars that mine seemed fine when over the past couple of days it has happened to me too! Firstly not being able to use the RHS scroll bar on zlauncher and then today with iSilo - not being able to reliably "go back" when hitting the icon at the bottom of the screen. The datebook5 move to next month button kept on moving me the wrong direction.

I havent got any of the 3rd party apps that folk seem to be mentioning here - no GA, Jot etc and I havent installed anything for about a month.

I didnt install the TT patch - is it designed to counter the problem I am having at the moment with the bottom of the screen being less than sensitive?

Angela

18. jankjo

jankjo Mobile Deity

the patch is designed to fix the sensitivity in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It probably won't help you, but it probably won't hurt either

19. Convert2

Convert2 Mobile Deity

We should revisit the digitizer poll. Someone posted a poll regarding experiencing the digitizer problem with categories for those that have the fat patch installed, without patch, with 3rd party apps, without 3rd party apps, etc., but I can find it, with the Search function not working to full capabilities. Can anyone bring it back up?

20. russlay

russlay Newbie

After reading some suggestions, I now agree with this being a hardware issue, perhaps related to the slider mechanism. If I give a moderate, two-fingered "rap" to the lower left corner of the TT (with the slider "open") I can fix the drift problem almost immediately. Its a little tougher to use the same method to "create" the drift, but that also can be done. I was successful 100% of the time (4 times) today when my TT drifted using this method. Each time it happened, I had used the slider to turn on the device. So far, opening the slider very s-l-o-w-l-y has not resulted in drift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.