Constant recalibration

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by swieder, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swieder

swieder Mobile Deity

I got a Return Authorization from Palm to repair/replace my TT. I am wondering if this will do any good. If Palm has not identified the hardware problem associated with Digitizer Drift than what good is a repair or replacement?

I have seen the problem with and without 3rd party apps. Is it just as likely that my repaired or replaced TT will have the same problem?

2. jankjo

jankjo Mobile Deity

Or a worse problem....

Michael. It takes me more than two seconds to fix, and is annoying as hell.
    I go into datebook to put in an appointment, only to find that my digitizer is off. So I go to my launcher to launch the prefs, then it usually takes two to three times to even get the redigitizer on the screen because the thing is so far off. So I try to hit digitize, and maybe it goes to formats instead. If you have to go through this almost every time you put an appointment in your datebook or change an address, you will find that it gets very very old very quickly.

3. Splicer

Splicer Mobile Deity

Are you trolling?

When I had this problem with my IIIxe, it made the unit nearly unusable. How do you propose that someone recalibrate who can't determine where the taps on the screen will register to the Palm? You tap one place, you get another. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it takes deliberate effort to figure out how far the drift is and calculate where to put the stylus.

If you have to recalibrate every time you want to check an address, you may as well have a PocketPC. A Palm with significant digitizer drift is that useless.

4. Convert2

Convert2 Mobile Deity

I am wary about posting this, since it will probably fall under Murphy's Law and I'll start having problems again - but since I deleted BatteryGraph a week ago, I haven't had any recalibration problems.

5. keef

keef Mobile Consultant

Like Convert2 I'm acutely aware of Murphys law so I'll cross my fingers when I type this (on second thoughts, maybe I'll cross 'em AFTER I've typed it...)

I've turned off the graffiti echo on Jot and haven't needed to re-calibrate for 3 days (it used to be EVERY day).

Hmmmm......

6. evan1t

evan1t Newbie

I've been having the same problem with my T|T for some time, almost since I got it.

If I had to guess on some software that might be doing it, i'd guess the Patience collection of solitaire card games, since sometimes that's all I've used, and I have to recalibrate more than once.

Anyone have any new news?

Thanks!

7. PalmerTT

PalmerTT Mobile Deity

I've been thinking of not posting this, as to not to tempt fate, but my digitizer drift has been gone for the past 3 days...:confused: :confused: :confused: I haven't done anything new, no software upgrades... It just went as quietly and inexplicably as it came... I hope I never see it again, although I am always weary of problems that just "go away..."

Well, at least for now, it's all good again in my TT digitizer department. Holding fingers tightly crossed....:)

8. Yonic

Yonic Mobile Consultant

The problem just went away, without any software changes..

This thread started exactly the same time i started to suffer from the problem, and now, as i start to see posts of the problem disappear, it disappears on my palm as well.

kind of weird that it came to all of us about on the same time, and then just went away...

9. roachender

roachender Mobile Enthusiast

I had the digitizer problem for over a month - the following worked for me. No problems for 2 months now (crosses fingers, throws salt over shoulder, ...)

1. When you recalibrate, don't tap the targets, press them for 2 seconds.

2. Go into notepad and press the tip of the pen to the screen for 5 seconds.
    - If you've got a "good" calibration, you'll get a single dot.
    - If you've got a "bad" calibration, you'll see a line as the point wanders on its own (maybe 4mm long). Go back and do step 1 again, until you get a "good" calibration - maybe 2 or 3 attempts.

YMMV

10. Splicer

Splicer Mobile Deity

Sunspots.

11. Trolling, no, come on this has become an annoying bitch thread ? typical of most.

But, ironically, after posting my distain of this post, I, too, started experiencing problems. And, yes, it is a hassle, but one I can live through. Again, this is a very reasonably priced product that does what it claims.

Screw it, I am buying a Pocket PC because I am sure it will fly the space shuttle.

12. jankjo

jankjo Mobile Deity

Michael,
    If this is such an "annoying bitch thread" why do you keep reading it?

I think there is lots of good info in this thread for people having digitizer problems (apparently yourself included). I want to learn from other people's experiences. If you don't like reading this thread, just don't read it. It seems to me that you are the only one doing any gratuitous complaining. The rest of us are trying to figure out how to fix our digitizer problem.

13. Neo02

Neo02 Spoon-bending user

Buy a PPC and you will return down to earth quite quickly, I guess... :p

Regards,
    -Neo.02

14. ze_jibe

ze_jibe Mobile Enthusiast

Interesting experiment to help better understand this VERY annoying problem (you can try this at home... at your own risks).

Each time I let my Tungsten fall from some height (couple of centimeters) or give it a moderate shock, the digitizer gets mad.

This is clearly a hardware problem.

I can imagine that, over time, slight shocks can add up to big digitzer's misalignments. It also explains the randomness of the problem's appearance.

I would really like to have your feedback on this, especially those who tried the hard/soft-reset thing. When you did not experience any problem afterwards, is it because you were using your palm under different circumstances than before (not taking it with you at work for example) ?

Besides, the problem affects the way the Tungsten translates touch-screen coordinates into pixel-coordinates. When you calibrate your Palm, it determines the parameters for a LINEAR translation between the two layers (touch-/pixel-screen). A single shock affects these parameters : hence, the misalignment happens only in one direction (horizontal or vertical) and more on one side (left/right or up/down).

This is not a solution to the problem yet, but should help better tackle it ultimately.

Cheers to all of you.

15. Convert2

Convert2 Mobile Deity

Can you define a moderate shock - do you mean electrical, and what is the source?

16. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Mobile Evangelist

I also believe that shock is the issue. I carry my TT in my pants pocket so it is subject to lots of little shocks. When I have to spend an entire day at my desk I never need to recalibrate. Have you tried AutoDigi5? I am getting really annoyed with this HARDWARE problem.

17. NY TT owner

NY TT owner Be quick or be dead

I didnt think of the shaking shocking idea. I sort of figured it was something along those lines. I remeber asking what kind of cases does every one use, i thought it just could be the case front pressing up againt the screen.

I also carry my TT in my pocket and it has the problem almost always.

But if i leave it on a desk for a while NOTHING! its fine.

Whomever brought that up i salute you!

but....ummm now what?

18. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Mobile Evangelist

I think something must become loose over time. When I first got my TT there was no problem, but over time (7+months) it has gotten worse. This further validates the shock idea IMO.

19. NY TT owner

NY TT owner Be quick or be dead

Speaking of loose. 3 of the 4 screws on my TT came loose and now they are gone.

20. ze_jibe

ze_jibe Mobile Enthusiast

I tried AutoDigi5 v5.1 but it did not help a bit. This is consistant with the mechanical "shock theory" : a software problem could, for example, corrupt the parameters for the linear translation of the coordinates. In this case, AutoDigi5 could replace the corrupt parameters by the good ones and solve the problem. A hardware problem is another matter : probably the screen itself (or one of its layer) gets misalligned and give off slightly modified electrical signals. The parameters haven't changed but needs to be redefined. In this case, AutoDigi5 is of no particular use for it simply copies over and over again the same parameters values it has registered since the last numerization.

I do not exclude that there could be on top of this a SOFTWARE issue generated by some 3rd party applications. That issue could probably be solved by AutoDigi5.

As for a cure, I think we have to be confident in ourselves, open the damn thing and try to see if by thightening some screws around the display we could manage to better hold the screen in place. Any idea/experience on this proposal ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.