Constant recalibration

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by swieder, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swieder

swieder Mobile Deity

I am finding the I have to recalibrate my TT every day and sometimes multiple times per day.

I was hoping the latest Palm update would help the problem, but it has not.

Could this problem be caused by any installed software? I am planning to call Palm support for a replacement. Any suggestions or similar experiences would be appreciated.

thanks,

2. I am curious, what do you mean by "constant?" Because I recalibrate mine every couple of days; however, under heavy use, I may do it several times a day. But this bothers me not.

3. justinstreufert

justinstreufert Needs Tungsten To Live

Just for variety's sake, I'm going to chime in that I've NEVER recalibrated my TT besides first taking it out of the box and again after an unfortunate hard reset.

It remains perfectly calibrated for weeks! My m515, OTOH, had to be recalibrated more often.

Justin

4. swieder

swieder Mobile Deity

I am recalibrating 3 to 4 times per day. Initially I was not recalibrating at all.

I called Palm tech support today thinking this was going to be a quick call to arrange a replacement. However, the Palm rep did not rule out a conflict with 3rd party software. I am going to try and run with the default applications.

If my Palm needs recalibration without any 3rd party installed than we know it is a hardware problem.

Stay tuned

5. skygazer

skygazer Using Palms since '96.

My digitizer is "drifting" almost every time I turn on the Palm, even after a hard reset, with now third party apps.

The palm hadn't needed recalibration for months -- I got it at the end of October -- but in the last few weeks, it's needed recalibration several times a day, which gets quite frustrating.

(By my thinking, the Palm should just work when I pick it up to jot a note.. or check my schedule. Anyone that accepts this flaw is being complacent about a flaw that shouldn't really exist -- you know, in a jaded Microsoft user kind of way. =)

6. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Mobile Evangelist

Me too...same problem. Like skygazer I have had my TT since the early days, and only recently has this problem gotten out of control. I too have tried the hard reset option, and the elimination of third party aps, but to no avail. It seems like my TT has an old age problem??????

7. tigerwolf

tigerwolf Mobile Deity

My Palm IIIxe started doing the same thing after about a year or two. Yet my Visors never have. Is Palm doing something wrong with their PDAs? (Or doing it intentionally so you have to upgrade?)

8. singsong

singsong Mobile Deity

Yikes (...to all of the constant calibration stories)! Never needed calibration in the 7 months that I've owned my TT.

I'd say don't accept a Tungsten T that needs to be constantly calibrated - it's not within 'normal' operating specs.

9. swieder

swieder Mobile Deity

I have been running for 8 hours with no 3rd apps and no need for a recalibration. Maybe Palm support was right! The support person specifically asked about moving my apps from my old Palm to my new Palm. Is it possible there is a memory leak from some old app?

I wish there was an easy way to reproduce this problem. Any theories on what makes the TT go out of calibration? Is it power cycles? on time? certain areas of the screen?

I have way more questions than answers so all hypotheses are welcome.

Palm is keeping my case open for 5 days.

10. Just a though, may be the need for recalibration is from slightly missed ?taps.? When I am on the bus and hit a bumpy area/road ? Seattle roads suck ? it seems that I need to do a recalibration.

11. swieder

swieder Mobile Deity

I can be sitting still and tapping on an attached note in the datebook and have the tap not register correctly. I think there is something else going on here.

12. instaGATOR

swieder,

Still working? Good. Now try an experiment for me. Apply some temperature change to your TT. Keep it in your pocket for a while, take it outside, then back inside, etc. How does that affect the calibration?

13. hkklife

hkklife Mobile Deity

I bought my T|T back in early November. Everything was fine for a month or so and then I noticed I had to recalibrate it weekly (starting in early December). From mid-Feb. onwards, I had to recalibrate it several times per day. I finally took it back and exchanged it for a new one with my extended warranty. The staff at Best Buy refused to believe me that there was actually something with the digitizer's calibration and just told me to "read the manual and do the setup process". I lost my patience and had a fit so things worked out in the end. Still, I'd encourage anyone having similar problems to return their units ASAP if at all possible. The patch Palm released a few months ago actually made things (IMHO) _worse_.

14. Splicer

Splicer Mobile Deity

I had a bad digitizer drift problem with my IIIxe that I'm certain was due to 3rd-party software, although I never traced down the problem.

The reason I'm so sure? I lent my Palm to someone else who reset it and synced based on his own profile/backed up software. He never had a problem with drift. When he returned it to me, I reset and synced to get everything back the way it was before I lent it, and the digitizer drift came right back.

I reset it again when I sold it, and the friend to whom I sold it has not had this problem at all.

So I believe it's almost a total guarantee that in my situation the digitizer drift was the fault of some misbehaving software that I installed along the way.

If it's misbehaving software and you trade in your Palm for another unit, you'll get the problem back as soon as you sync.

15. PalmerTT

PalmerTT Mobile Deity

Haven't added 'new' programs for several weeks prior to the onset of the calibration drift problem, just last week. The only version upgrades I did around that time were WorldMatek, HandyShopper and GravityBall... this last one is a suspect right now - it just upgraded to hi-res and some other frills.... I wonder if it's the culprit.......

16. scotta

scotta Mobile Evangelist

I just replaced mine last week as well for the digitizer problem. Tried hard reset, restoring no apps, and it still had to be calibrated multiple times a day.
    The new one with all apps back has had no problems.

17. PalmerTT

PalmerTT Mobile Deity

I'm also using the G2 screen protector (have been using it for months). Anyone else with the recalibration problem uses the G2? Or, are there recalibration problems out there WITHOUT the use of a G2 or other screen protectors?

18. scotta

scotta Mobile Evangelist

i was using writerights, but took it off in case that was the problem, didnt matter - still had to recalibrate several times a day.

19. tigerwolf

tigerwolf Mobile Deity

My 3xe is absolutly NOT caused by applications. That's a cop out, and I bet it is on the Tungsten T also. Besides, why don't OTHER brands of PalmOS PDAs have this problem, if it were really caused by software?

Hard resets seem to improve my 3xe SLIGHTLY for a few days, but it makes no difference whatsoever what software is or isn't on there.

Glad I read this. I've been trying to find a decent replacement for a Visor for the last month, and was now leaning towards the m515 or Tungsten T, but if they're having these problems....

20. instaGATOR

Does anyone know if Digifix is supposed to work under OS5? I have tried it, but it does not work on my TT.