Consider starting a forum for mobile accessories and apps

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by jigwashere, May 1, 2014.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'd be interested in a forum for mobile accessories and another for apps. On other sites, mobile accessory forums tend to fill up with posts about cases and screen protectors, but they also include things like external batteries, storage devices, and even Bluetooth compatible car stereos.

I'm also interested in a separate forum for mobile apps. We've had app threads before, but they haven't gotten much love lately, perhaps in part because of a lack of visibility. A separate forum might help.

RickAgresta, r0k, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I like the idea. I suspect both forums would need platform (not device) specific sub-fora, especially the app forum. The app forums (ahem-- we called them programs back then ;) ) for Palm were actually great fun back in the day. :newpalm:

RickAgresta, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Agreed on all counts!

scjjtt likes this.
  4. jigwashere

I'd prefer a single one-stop-shop cross-platform forum. Apps and accessories are often not platform specific or there are versions for all. It might be nice to see them in a single place. For example, external batteries, storage, speakers, headphones, keyboards, etc., are no longer platform-centric. Some cases are sold by size and could be used by any number of devices. For apps, it might be nice to see if there's a version for Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc., and compare differences in features, availability, and price.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm not sure i share your analysis that these things are not platform specific, especially the apps. Even when you have the same app across platforms, there are often important differences in their capabilities. Especially if people weren't clear which they were talking about, it could be confusing.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scjjtt likes this.
  6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I agree it would be nice to have both forums. There's very little in the way of documentation for Android apps, and I think having a specific place to post questions will help. Each platform should have its own sub-forum, else it will cause confusion, most especially in apps that are available for several OSes, as Hook says.

As for accesories, I think it would be too expansive to create platform- or device- specific sub-forums. Some accesories are compatible with just the one model from a single carrier, while others fit every available device and brand. How about setting a rule that the thread title indicate for what device the accesory is intended? Or divide the forum according to purpose, i.e.: cases, battery extenders, storage, etc.

Whatever structure the powers-that-be see fit to implement, I'm all in for this!

Hook and scjjtt like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

A couple of weeks ago I did it again - I went out without my wallet. For all the years carrying my Palm pda's I had them in a case and in that case would be my ATM card in case I left my wallet somewhere else. Once I started carrying smart phones, I didn't have a case to put my ATM card in. We usually use either our Chase credit card or Southwest credit card, and pay them off, to rack up flight miles but it was always good to have my ATM card as a back up - because it had my picture on it and no one would ask for an ID.

A friend of my shared about a co-worker who had a case with a place for credit cards on the back. I researched ones for my S4 and here is what I got:

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S4 Wallet Case - CM4 Q Card Case for Galaxy S4 - Black Onyx - QS4-BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories

It does make the phone just a little thicker but not nearly as much as wallet cases such as...

Amazon.com: Navor Samsung Galaxy S4 Folio Wallet Leather Case, Removable Strap, Card & Money Pockets, ID Window: Cell Phones & Accessories

...which I had tried a cheaper version of the above but never liked having to flip the cover while talking on the phone.

THE GREAT THING about my new CM4 Q Card Case is how they have redirected the sound. My sound now comes out the front of my phone case. I no longer have to cup my hand to hear a video. This alone is a GREAT feature and makes my S4 more like a HTC One - having the sound come at you rather than away from you.

There are other cases like mine that can carry a few cards on the back (I just have one) but this is the only one, that I know of, that redirects the sound. I am COMPLETELY satisfied with this case! Very high quality make and leather.

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  8. scjjtt

I should also report that my son, using his graduation money, bought the "Fre" version of the LifeProof case. This is case is waterproof, shock proof and dust proof.

The Fre version has a clear cover over the screen whereas the Nuud does not. We felt more comfortable when trying to protect the phone from water to have the complete phone protected as opposed to everything but the screen.

The neat thing about this case is it isn't too bulky for what it does. The Otterbox cases, IMO, always seemed bulky - this case is surprisingly thin and comfortable to hold - plus it protects from water as well as accidental drops.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en...Ah00wp9y_dc|pcrid|39555589264|pkw|+waterproof +cases +for +galaxy +s4|pmt|b&gclid=CjwKEAjwuYOeBRCy3pLljpjDkDcSJAAhA4mtNL4AO_BYYcRE7gouTdIejl3Wbhix0nLhZSzQXb1WkRoCVODw_wcB

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Hook likes this.
  9. scjjtt

Mi An, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  10. jigwashere

Very cool looking case.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.