computer (Windows) question, reading files on scavenged hard drives

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Mar 12, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I have a few 2.5" hard drives, from Win 7 laptops, saved for any files not transferred to replacement laptops...belt, suspenders and waist-size too small approach :vbgrin:

However, Win 10 is not able to access certain folders/directories on the external drives (not sure that Win 7 can either). I've tried changing permissions and designating myself as Owner, but there are still errors popping up (all is at home, so can't be specific right now, as to the error messages).

Any ideas, folks? TIA, Rick

scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just clarifying. I'm assume you have them hooked up (cabled) so that you can plug them in via USB to your Win 10 laptop as external drives? And you are having this same problem on more than one former drive? You may not be able to answer this until you get home, but is there anything else these unreadable folders on different drives (if more than one drive) have in common?

scjjtt, RickAgresta and headcronie like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've seen similar errors when copying from old hard disks, and it's usually because of lack of access privileges. What I do is grant access to my user to the parent folder, then go inside and repeat as many times as needed with the sub-folders. For some reason the permissions I grant to the root folder aren't propagated to the sub-folders even after selecting the checkbox that does just that. It's time consuming but it's the only way I've managed.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I like to tackle these tasks using an elevated File Explorer window.

Open a CMD prompt or Powershell window with Administrative permissions.

upload_2020-3-12_14-13-52.png

upload_2020-3-12_14-9-52.png

Launch Explorer via this window. That should give you a File Explorer instance with full admin.

upload_2020-3-12_14-11-37.png

Now, try taking ownership of the folder. I've found that this reduces the errors and prompts for elevating permissions. YMMV. :)

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I have had this issue and right now am going through trying to access old laptop drives. I have found that using DOS as HC describes, I can usually copy those files to a new drive using 'xcopy *.*'

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Thanks, all. I'll try the suggestions you've made.

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.