Completely fed up with alarms

Discussion in 'iPAQ h3600-h3900 series' started by tccook, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tccook

tccook Avid Member

This last trip I took totally pushed me over the edge in terms of fed-upped-ness with my ipaq's alarms. I couldn't get it to go off at the right time to save my life! Forget it as a travel alarm, which is totally crazy. Here I have this $1000+ unit (with my accessories) and it won't even ring me when it is time to wake up!

I tried BugME to see if it was more reliable, no go. I tried setting an 'appointment' at 6:30am or whenever I was getting up, no go. Then, when I finally woke up around 9:00 on my own, I'd turn on my little paqqy all the alarms would go off!

Is there any software that doesn't rely on PPC2002 for notifications and wake up that I can use as a reliable travel alarm?

2. slicksurf

slicksurf Mobile Deity

Try Alarme. After seeing (and hearing) how reliable it (and persistant) it was at waking me up, I bought it and its well worth the money.

3. Ipaq Usr

Ipaq Usr Mobile Enthusiast

I have the exact same problem. Try pocket informant 3.0. Works for me, though I wouldn't trust ipaq to wake me up for something important.

4. imported_ekkie

imported_ekkie Thai Dragon

I soft reset my iPaq every night before going to sleep and that always guarantees that my unit will go off the following morning.

Ekkie

5. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

I broke down and bought SuperAlert. They are still working on it, they tell me, so maybe the reliability will improve from the roughly 80% it offers me now. PPC 2000 was never that bad. I could depend on unassisted alarms and appointments about 90%. Between this, the complete botch-job that is Inbox (why do attachments double in size while in Inbox? why does the 'check for new mail every _ minutes' feature never work? why does it generate so many server errors? etcetera...), and all the other wonderful bugs, I'd say Microsoft needs a spanking. Oh, maybe that's why all those worm attacks!?

6. jndepp

jndepp Mobile Deity

I use StopTime for my alarm clock every morning, and I don't remember it failing inexplicably unless it did so once or twice (I am not really sure if it ever failed without my help:) ).

However, I also use MeetingMute and I have read that this program dramatically improves the reliability of alarms for the new pocket pc platform. MeetingMute actually checks the volume settings at small time intervals (user chooses interval) and apparently adjusts the volume settings to whatever the user chooses as the desired default settings. My experience with this program has been extremely positive, and I believe it may totally fix the problem you and many others are having with faulty alarms.

7. imported_andyz

imported_andyz Mobile Deity

I installed SuperAlert and don't miss appointments. I don't know that it misses at all.

As to them still working on it, I believe like many PPC programs it is a work in progress. They keep improving it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.