Compatibility - VGA

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Girt, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Hi,
    How much of a factor is a VGA screen? (Axim's and many of the new smartphones coming out). If it's old software will it simply not run? Appear in one quarter of the screen? Or - most importantly - cause mischief that a week later crashes your unit?

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

The advantage of moving from QVGA to VGA is everything scales very easily. If you run a QVGA app on a VGA display, all the pixels are doubled in size and you move on without a hitch.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Thanks, Ed. At what OS did this start running smoothly? I seem to recall some problems way back with -- was it the Toshiba 800?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Ashton

Ashton Dell Axim X51v Advocate

I have no problems on my Axim X51v, though it displays QVGA mode unless you use a program liek OzVGA to force the resolution to VGA (which makes it awesome for ebooks, file explorers, or other programs where more screen landscape is at a premium)

5. yankeejeep

yankeejeep Mobile Evangelist

You may still find some older apps that are not hi-res aware, so they display using the upper left quarter on a VGA display. Fortunately, there are hacks to correct this. Since I own Tweaks2k2, I use its 'VGA brute force' option (though with 60+ apps on my device, only one has needed this fix). There are freeware options as well which you should be able to find by running a search using a term such as 'hi-res hack.' Even though the hack makes each QVGA pixel display on four VGA pixels, the technique is referred to as pixel-doubling.

6. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Thank you, Ashton & yank'

Yank' - What PDA & OS do you have?

7. yankeejeep

yankeejeep Mobile Evangelist

I had to resolve the hi-res issue on a Toshiba e805 running WM2003SE, specifically to correct the display of Adobe Reader 2.0. Most apps do not have problems with standard VGA displays at this point so it is something that you may not encounter aside from older apps that have not been updated to make them hi-res aware. As far as I know, you need to hack these same problem children for proper VGA display on WM5/6 as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.