Compatability with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ArGiEs, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Another workaround is that if the Palm device has Bluetooth, hotsync can be done through it. Odd enough, even if the Bluetooth radio happens to be a USB dongle radio.

2. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

hal: There is some kind of added complication other than just plugging in the dongle, following the instructions and having it work. I have been following several posts where brighthand members are having a difficult time getting the bluetooth hotsync to work with windows 7. Some of them cant get it to work at all. I have an XP pro that is considered a downgrade from Vista and it gave me trouble getting the bluetooth sync to work. I believe that windows 7 is an improvement over Vista and will be purchasing a new laptop in the near future. I am going to get a business model with built in bluetooth and the 7 pro. It would be nice if some of the people who have the bluetooth sync working with 7 chime in and tell us what dongles specifically they are using an what make model of computers they have. What version of 7 and If they know it would also be nice to know what bluetooth stack there computer is using also. The same info from the people who cant get it to work would be helpful. There might be a couple of people who just lack the experience to follow the directions but I do not believe this is the case with most having problems. I believe it is little variations in different manufactures systems the dongles they are using and the bluetooth software they have or add with a dongle.
    Rubyrose: The directions for bluetooth hotsync are available and if you want to go this route I am not against it. It would be a good idea to see if somebody would allow you to place the palm software on a model you intend to purchase to see if you could confirm it works before purchase. I said a good idea. If a coworker or a friend had one you could use for this purpose. There is also wifi hotsync if you have a home network. This is not portable unless you haul all your hardware for your network around with you. In my first post I brought up getting a windows 7 computer with the pro or above on it. This is because Microsoft has added software that will allow what is called XP mode. With this you have a virtual version of XP 32 bit available for use and it is my understanding that the palms sync normally to the laptop or pc with this program.

3. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi Reb1,

I do agree with you that it would help if people who have been successful or not, with it would give all the particulars here on BH.

I do know someone with 7-64 bit on a comp. that is about a year old. I think it is Home Premium version. Would that be able to get the Microsoft XP mode software on it or is it only available on brand new models? I don't know anyone who has a new model that I could try it on.

I doubt any store would let you install software on it & if it didn't work, let you return it. Is the windows 7 Pro an upgrade of the version most people buy? I would like to know for sure which model works with BEFORE I buy a new comp. & get the wrong one.

I am so non technically savvy. I do have wifi & a network. My T3 has bluetooth on it but I don't know what it does. I don't know how to use bluetooth or how I could sync with it. Are there any simple to understand directions on how to do it.....for someone who doesn't understand tech words or processes? You said that there is a wifi hotsync-how does that work?

What is a virtual version? I'm sorry I have so many questions in this post. I would really appreciate it if you can answer them. I am so untechnical I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks so much for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

reb1:
    The subject of HotSync through Bluetooth has been thoroughly discussed in the Palm General forum and in the Palm TX sub-forum. Please do a search in said fora, and if you are still unsatisfied, we can discuss it again over there :)

In short, there is a small piece of configuration that must be done on the handheld device, and the rest is the issue of assigning a proper channel for Bluetooth in the computer. Being Win7, there actually shall not be a bigger issue than with XP or Vista, cause the Bluetooth drivers are the same. IME (odd feature) I've had more success using external Bluetooth dongles, than using built-in ones. Searching for the reason, some time ago I found out googling the issue, that Windows had given its own variant of Bluetooth drivers to Windows, set pretty much apart from the rest of the industry for this type of communication. Windows uses a WIDCOMM stack that gives a lot of headaches when attempting pairing with many devices. That, to the point where the usual solution was ditching the use of the built in Bluetooth and placing an external one instead.

Now, there are other misdemeanors involved. For instance, if you're attempting this connection with a smartphone, and being a device locked to a carrier, it's possible that said carrier has worked/wretched the device and Bluetooth, and other features, don't work as announced.

5. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

6. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,

I've been looking for a new laptop & was talking with someone who suggested that I look at a MAC.

Can anyone tell me if I can hot sync my T3 to a Mac ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I really appreciate all you BH folks & your good advice.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I think that starting with Snow Leopard (just previous to the new 'Lion' version), you can NOT sync easily. There may be a workaround; but to do it directly, you need an earlier version of Mac OS X. Check though.

8. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I currently have Windows Ultimate loaded on my Sony that came with XP Pro. I am using the desktop software that came with my Palm TX and the Aceeca driver. I can do everything that I did with XP Pro on the computer. There is one problem. The only way to load a Palm file, book program etc into the quick install. Is to place it on the desktop and right click on it and choose send to from the drop down menu. You will see the Palm (TM) Handheld selection. Choose this and when you hotsync the program or file will be loaded. Everything else works as expected.
    If you choose to get a Windows 7 computer, just prior to doing the first hotsync open up the hotsync and choose custom and make the proper changes to the conduits so you do not loose data from your T3. Another good thing to do before you hotsync with any new computer is to put a backup program on the T3 that puts a backup on the memory card and run it. The Windows 7 operating system will most likely be easier to get used to than a totally different system like the Mac. You might want to go to the Palm Support Community and ask some questions there if you are really interested in a Mac.

9. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

I first asked about the compatibility with Windows 7 over 2 years ago on this thread. I managed to extended the life of my then XP laptop till last week when it eventually died. I have just installed my Palm desktop onto Windows 7 Home Edition (from the original supplied disc 4.1.2) and the new drivers from Aceeca. The installation went like a dream. I can now hotsync calendar, contacts, photos etc. just as I have been doing for 9 years now! This forum has been a life saver for me now for almost a full decade. I love it when a plan comes together. Glad I wasn't an early adopter - those guys seemed to have had a nightmare getting drivers etc. to work. There's alot to be said on being the tortoise instead of the hare!