Compatability with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ArGiEs, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ArGiEs

ArGiEs Palm no more

Hey, ArGiEs here (betcha thot you weren't gonna here from again, huh?) with some good news for all you die-hard T3 users (R U there, JRakes?).

Just got a new computer running Windows 7; downloaded Palm desktop v. 4.14e & hotsynced - and it ran like a charm. Haven't tried such things as the the app loader, since I'm pretty much done with finding PalmOS apps for the stalwart PDA. The basic backup is what I am concerned with.

Pardon me if this news has already been posted. I thought it was worth thetime to mention. There's still a few of us T3ers left, I'm sure; I plan to port to Windows mobile someday (no, Pre & WebOS have not yet convinced me), but I keep dragging my feet.:rolleyes: My pertinent DataViz apps (Smartlist To Go. Docs to go v. 10, and Passwords Plus all appear to run alright as well. Another hurdle cleared.:)

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Hey, Bob!

Yes, I'm still around - A bit less frequently these days due to workie stuffs, but still here. And did you not miss the Great Planetary Calamities a couple of months ago when I, well... Search for a certain "quest" thread in the Smartphone forum, as well as others in the WM and HTC forums. :eek: :rolleyes:

Good to hear your move to Win7 went well! I'm sure there will be others following suit, albeit an ever decreasing number.

Now, hang around here more. We miss you!

Joe-Boy

3. ArGiEs

ArGiEs Palm no more

UPDATE: I think I was wrong. After a few Hotsyncs, it was apparent that something in the Hotsync manager would keep breaking, and Smartlist To Go wouldn't sync. Deleting/re-loading v. 4.14e corrected, but soon it would break again. Gave up, deleted v. 4.14e, downloaded v. 6.2. This worked. Didn't sync with Docs To Go v. 10 right off, but Windows 7 detected a glitch & automatically applied some tweaks, and it worked after that. Go with Palm desktop v. 6.2.

4. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

If I install v 6.2, and I find its not for me, is it easy enough to revert back to 4.1.4?

ie does 6.2 appear in add/remove programs? I am running windows XP service pack3

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I shall advise you not. The only reason AFAIK why you should choose Palm Desktop v.6.2 for Win XP is trying to sync a Palm Centro. As for the rest, you shall use Palm Desktop v.4, or better if you still have the OEM CD from your specific device and use the bundled version. The version 4.1.4E is a very generic version that remains as the legacy download back at Palm's website; here at Brighthand there have been many reports of substandard behavior of this version, compared to the versions bundled in the OEM CDs; better leave it for the day you have no other (and better) option at your reach.

6. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

Thanks for the advice, and bloomin' impressed too with how quick it came back - 5 minutes!! Is this a record for T3 support in 2010 :)

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Anytime, pal :) Your joining date tells me that you may have given said quick support in the past. Please report any progress with your current installation if you need any further advice.

It's a sad thing that such a good knowledgepot isn't coming from Palm itself, don't you think so? OK, paying respect to those who deserve it, I recall that some Brighthand members are also members of the Palm support fora, like Dick Tracy and WyreNut.

8. ArGiEs

ArGiEs Palm no more

I concur. If you're running XP, do use 4.14. My OP was out of concern for for 4.14 running on Windows 7 (and 6.2 working with a T3). Bottom line: 4.14 for XP, 6.2 for 7.
    I actually saw your post on my Blackberry earlier today, but didn't have time 'till now.

9. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi,
    I've been reading this post & the ability to sync a T3 on a Windows 7 computer. I'm planning on getting a new laptop to replace the current one that runs Vista which was difficult for me to understand after using XP.

I am a newbie comp. user & don't understand the tech terms. So I am not sure what the posts above mean to me. Up until now I have been syncing my T3 to my old, old PC running XP. I would love to be able to sync my T3 to my new Wind. 7 once I get it.

What is the 6.2 that you are talking about? Will it work with a T3? I am using the original software that came with my T3. Where would I get this new software....if it is compatible with Wind. 7?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

10. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Rubyrose: The 6.2 was written for Vista to make it easier to sync with that system. Palm Support : Palm Desktop: all versions The main problem syncing to windows 7 is palm desktop all versions were written for 32bit. Most of the new windows 7 computers are 64bit. There are no conduits for 64bit so there is not a way to sync with a cable directly to windows 7 64bit. If you get a 32 bit system you may be able to do it. If you purchase a computer with windows 7 pro you can install the virtual software and 32 bit XP mode. This would allow you to sync normally according to what I have read. You can not do this in anything below the 7 pro version. Some people have also been able to hotsync with bluetooth and wifi.