Common questions/complaints about the iPAQ 210

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by KFulton, May 1, 2008.

1. KFulton

KFulton Chief cook/bottle washer

Having a few minutes, I thought I'd whip up a quick concise list of most of the nagging questions/complaints that seem to bother a lot of the 210 owners on this forum. Feel free to submit updates and I'll edit them in.

UPDATE: Added link to thread about USB OTG cable

These are in no particular order.

1. The screen is squishy! or, Why do I have to push so hard to get taps to register?

It appears that the screen is a completely different design from previous models. While the LCD itself looks great indoors, and is still very readable outdoors (even under sunlight), the touchscreen portion seems to be some new design most of us are not too fond of. The screen feels much "squishier" than previous iPAQs, and most other PDAs in general.

This does improve some, but not much, as the screen "breaks in". There have also been reports that using a quality screen protector will greatly improve the responsiveness.

2. Why is my battery slowly losing power, around 2-3% per hour?

Most testing done by users of this forum point to the CF card being the culprit. Even though there is an option in the control panel to disable power to the CF card when the device is in standby mode, it doesn't seem to do anything.

There have been reports that different brands of cards behave differently. Please post your results and I will update this list (most of the list below was taken from other forum posts):

Transcend 16GB 133x: 1-2%/hour drain
    Sandisk 16GB "Extreme III": 1-2%/hour drain
    Adata 4GB 266X Turbo: 0.6%/hour (thanks GloryQuest)

3. Whats with the low speaker volume? I can barely hear my alarms.

Even though HP initially advertised the 210 as having a dual speaker configuration, sound is currently only coming out of the back speaker. The sound output of this speaker is less than previous iPAQ models.

HP has said that they are looking into this issue, and it is possible that they will release a software update for it in the future. In the meantime, you can re-record your alarm sound files to be louder as a workaround.

4. How do I hard reset?

Unless you have very flexible hands, its probably easiest to use the utility provided on the CD that came with the device.

5. I thought the 210 was supposed to have 18 bit color. What gives?

Sorry, but HP was inaccurate in its early marketing material. Whether this was a misprint or an outright lie, you will have to decide for yourself.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=254529

6. Why does my device go nuts when I try to charge it via mini-USB?

Normal USB ports dont have enough current available to properly charge the 210. You can set the charge to "slow" in the control panel, but this is indeed very slow, in fact so slow that if you leave the device turned on it is not fast enough to overcome the drain from having it turned on. Stick with the 24-pin port for charging.

7. Cases? Cradles?

Cases:
    PDAir - Piel Frama - Sena Cases (preorder) - EBCases
    Cradles:
    Boxwave
    As BH-T3 noted in his post below, you can't use this cradle if your 210 has an extended battery attached to it. (Thanks BH-T3 for pointing this out)

8. Are there any software updates from HP yet?

Yes. Here is the link:
    Update page

There are reports of the latest (1.10) driver not installing properly in Vista. If you run into this problem, grab the .cab file from this forum thread.

9. Compatible software?

There is a sticky thread for this.

10. The bright blue LED is driving me mad!

Fear not. Read this: http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=255486

11. Whats this hiss?

A slight hiss can be heard on most units when using headphones. See http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=255077.

ceril points out that there is a new "HD" sound driver available called WOW. I have not tested it personally yet, but there have been reports of improvements over the stock driver.

12. Why is my iPAQ Wireless control program acting so odd?

Its easily fixed. See http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=256264.

juttonn reports:

13. Does the device support USB host?

Yes, there is a cable for it. Please see the following thread:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=257276
    We're still waiting to see reports from the folks that have ordered it. Hopefully it will support enough devices to justify the very high cost of the cable.

---

Thanks to all the forum contributors! (Most of this information comes from them.)
  2. BH-T3

BH-T3 Yarrenbool

Having moved from a Palm Tungsten T3 to a 210 I find that I can no longer depend on my PDA to sound an alarm that is loud enough to be really useful.:mad:

That's why we have a mouth as well as two hands. Hands for the two buttons on the front of the 210, the mouth to hold a stylus to push the reset button on the side!:D

And not a single case or cradle to take the 210 with the 4400 mAh extended battery attached!:mad:

Ain't that the truth!:newpalm:
  3. juttonn

juttonn Mobile Enthusiast

Also posted on the above-referenced thread, but thought I'd put a copy here as well. A permanent fix that has made my life a little bit easier.

4. ceril

ceril Mobile Enthusiast

an excellent review! Concise. You might want to add about the USB host cable that is or isn't and if it is - can be between 50-100$ :)

and for the sound problems, I think someone mentioned also WOW HD as another option for the sound fix.

In regards to the screen - squishiness was one difficulty. Another was a difficulty in getting the scroll bar vectors to work well. There is a recent thread on this issue. Questionable difficulties between the screen and the screen protector was also noted as an option.

Can you check the link for software updates of the 210, please? I tried it and it wasn't working for me.

Again thanks for the review!
  5. KFulton

I just tried it in Firefox on my Ubuntu install, and it came right up. Are you using a different browser?
    EDIT: I was able to find the problem you spoke of. Its the brighthand.com ad system; it was intercepting the "HP iPAQ 210" and redirecting it elsewhere. Should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing this out.

---

Thanks for all the comments, I will edit them into the main list later today.
  6. GloryQuest

GloryQuest iPAQ 210 Owner

The last time I checked (yesterday), my Adata 4GB 266X Turbo CF card was draining 0.6% per hour (6% over 10 hours).
  7. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Thread stickied.
  8. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

Yeah, definitely worth a sticky - I've also heartily recommended it in my forthcoming 214 review.
  9. BigVoice

BigVoice Mobile Evangelist

I have moved the BTTrayCE to the top and move iPAQWireless to the bottom of the startup by MemMaid as suggested but the BT icon still sometimes disappeared after a softreset.

Then something came to my mind, if the BT icon can reapper after killing iPAQWireless by Task Manager it means that there is actually no need to load iPAQWireless at startup. What I did was to disable loading iPAQWireless at the startup by Memmaid and the result is that everytime I softreset my PDA I can still find my BT icon page in iPAQWireless.

I hope the above is useful to those who had suffering this annoying BT disappering problem for a long time.

BigVoice
  10. BigVoice

In regards to the squishiness in getting the scroll bar vectors to work well, You may try the Function Key setting in the Control Panel and increse the sensitivity of the up/down control. After the adjustment I have the feeling that the response of the scroll bar has improved. Hope this can help.

BigVoice
  11. juttonn

juttonn Mobile Enthusiast

Good point. The iPAQWireless manager loads quickly enough that not having it pre-load at startup isn't essential. It certainly doesn't need to be running in the background before you need to use WiFi or Bluetooth. Since I did the fix, I haven't had any problems, so I'll just leave well enough alone, but if I have any problems in the future, just taking iPAQWireless utility out of startup is a sure fire fix.
  12. TOCA

TOCA Newbie

I have found one bug, which realy makes me "not happy": The company "Stoweaway" who makes BT keyboards and mouse for PDA's, will not update their drivers, to support WM5/6, so now, that I've bought the uber nice 210, my beloved I-Go mouse is useless :(

The power drain issue, is also affected by SD cards, though not as dramatically as the CF cards, but it's still 5-7% a day. This is caused by the fact, that it uses RAM to remember, that a memorycard is pressent.
  13. BigVoice

I am using Transcend Class 6 16G SDHC memory card and the power drain in a day is about 2-3%. If I inserted my Transcend 8G CF (X133) the power drain overnight is 2-3%. I think the power drain depends on what type and brand of memory card you are using.
  14. anello1960

anello1960 Mobile Enthusiast

>
    I can't fully explain the battery drain most people are witnessing but I would bet that it is more than just the SD card or other memory cards.

My drain down with a 2GB SD card is ususlly no more than 1 or 2 % in 24 hours.

I leave my display at it's lowest brightness setting, set the backlight to turn off after 2min. of no input, and the power to turn off after 2min. as well.

This will avoid the unit consuming excessive battery power during alarms, messages or reminders that turn the device on when unattended.

Any meeting notice, reminder or alarm will turn the device to full power for the duration of the power time-out setting. If wi-fi was left on, that will be switched on as well during a reminder power on.

I cannot comment about the SDHC card using more power than an SD card.

For me, a 1-2% power loss in 24 hours is a non-issue.
  15. GloryQuest

GloryQuest iPAQ 210 Owner

I have the same card and haven't notice any drain when that's the only one I have inserted. [​IMG]
  16. KFulton

...and I have the 8G version of that card, no drain from that one for me.
  17. frquixote

frquixote Mobile Enthusiast

I also have the same card and see no drain except when I have the 32 GB CF card also installed.
  18. BigVoice

Just a clarification. What I mean the battery drain with my 16G SDHC card in a day is 2-3%, i.e. in 24 hrs. If the CF card is also inserted then the battery darin is 2-3% in just 5-6 hrs.

I don't think the battery can stay on 100% after 24 hrs. when the SD card is inserted.
  19. davethebossman

davethebossman Mobile Enthusiast

Hi all, new to PPC, loving the site. Keep teaching me!!
    Anyway, i was browsing on sites to find help with WOW HD functionality on my iPAQ 210 (it kept displaying "no WOW HD driver found" and it wouldn't run) and i found some advice. Some post from

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/download-srs-wow-hd-sound-driver.html

and it works perfect for me after soft reset................

Wed2Apr at 4:14 am
    RUSH wrote...
    if someone, cannot works well (as missing the srs driver) recommanded that using regstry editing tool, HKLM>Drivers>BuiltIN>WavdDev change "data" of "OldDriver" as "Wavedev2.dll" (default is Wavedev.dll, the Wavedev2.dll is at \Windows ) save and reset. now you can see it on the controlpannel. Works Fine with my iPAQ212(210's AsiaPacific Version)

Thanks to RUSH and hope it helps any others.
  20. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

bossmandave,
    Welcome to Brighthand.:D