College Students Should Buy Tablets Instead of Laptops

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I think in part it may be the larger size, but I have stopped carrying a laptop on travel and depend completely on my 10.5" Samsung Tab S. It is still, even with the TAB S2 being out, a high end tablet. And while I have the very convenient and well-made Logitech BT keyboard which is probably larger than the one for an 8.5" tablet, I also have a Lenovo BT keyboard designed for the Thinkpad 2 Windows tablet. It is much closer to full size, plus it has Windows keys, which MS Office for Android uses. Yes, at home, I will always need my Windows desktop for the same reasons described above in my old post, but short of printing (which I have been just too lazy to learn how to do on Android), there is almost nothing I need to do that I can't do on my tablet.

I am actually surprised. When I bought the Tab S as an experiment to see how good a laptop replacement a tablet would be, I was very skeptical.

Mi An, headcronie, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What article did this come from? What age group of student? I know there have been many issues with tablets in schools at the elementary to high school level, but there have also been some success stories. Here's one: Following failure, Apple finds success bringing iPads into the classroom

EDIT: The OP has an updated article - http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/best-tablets-for-college-students/

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

My response regarding BYOD is in reference to grades 9 - 12.

Only K - 2/3 would get any sort of up vote for an iPad due to speed of opening apps and simplicity. Beyond that, there is far too much curriculum that simply does not work well or at all on a tablet style device.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

4. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I take my chromebook on trips, because it's small enough to be portable enough, yet does everything I need. I still have my Asus tablet, but about all I use it for is displaying chord charts for guitar practice. It's great for that, but not for much else. It will play videos, of course, but so will the chromebook, which has a much more capable CPU/GPU and more RAM. And the chromebook is actually lighter than the tablet, although larger, and has approximately equal battery life. But everyone is free to buy and use whatever works for them.

As for schools, almost everything I've read is about schools converting to chromebooks, often replacing ipads. Apple is being eaten alive by Google in this field.

headcronie and scjjtt like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

That is what is happening where I work as well. Chromebooks are flooding in, and iPads have already been set to not be replaced when they break / are outstripped in memory or by OS.

I'm not enamored by the Chromebooks either, but at least they have a keyboard and a browser that is better than any gimped mobile OS device. The rest remains to be seen.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I bought a Pixel C, just for news reading, video watching and the typical social media sharing fare. I didn't buy the folio keyboard however --- that thing costs you more than some Chromebooks alone.

That's the heart of the problem. Big tablet + keyboard adds to a combined package that is more expensive than many notebooks. Windows 2 in 1s though experienced some growth last year, but the amount of it doesn't look like it would turn the world on fire.

Still if you must, a large tablet with folio keyboard has enough tools and a usable experience to turn them into a notebook replacement. This goes for not only iOS and Windows but also for Android.

Recently Dell dropped away from the Android tablet market, HP did this a year before. Its likely they will concentrate now on Windows 2 in 1s, but I sense one motivating reason may be Dell's growing Chromebook business. Supporting Android apps on Chromebooks probably put a nail on the Android tablet experiment, and this is probably what every OEM sees as the best chance now. Other than corporate replacement sales, Windows 10 PC market remains relatively weak, with sales continuing to go down each quarter for the OEMs. They need to bet on the Chromebook + Google Play combination.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I really like the Pixel C; but can't understand why Google is so stubborn about memory cards. That alone stops me from getting one.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. EdmundDantes

I should add to my previous comment that one other benefit to the card slot I've discovered with my tablet with the broken screen is that I pop out the card and have all the important files right there. No need to mess with trying to get them off the tablet.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Google's intent is to drive people to Google Drive. Save your files there and you don't have to worry about losing the SD card. Or having it self-destruct, or stolen, or whatever. Or if you don't have a card slot, having your device formatted/smashed/whatever. I realize that some people don't trust Google, but if the files are at all sensitive, encrypt them. It's not rocket science. All my files that have any information at all sensitive are encrypted with gnupg. If you run Windows, there are Windows versions of crypto software, including these.

Removable flash devices provide convenience, but are not an end-all/be-all solution for everyone. The card manufacturers certainly want them to be, and try to spread FUD about their absence, but it's certainly possible to get by without them. I do still use some for specific use-cases, but it's becoming rarer for me. My phone has no card slot, and I really don't miss it much. I keep backups in the cloud, and on a USB drive via USB host capability. Or I can use Airdroid to transfer files in either direction. I admit I would prefer having a card slot on my phone for convenience, but I've stopped worrying about it. My tablet has a slot, and a card in it, but very little on it. I just don't need it much any more.

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

Yeah, I realize that; but for me it's both a security/privacy issue and an access issue. You don't always have access to the internet to access those files. Or, you may not want to deal with paying the fees at some hotels or airplanes.

RickAgresta likes this.