College Students Should Buy Tablets Instead of Laptops

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 6, 2014.

1. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I sort of disagree. I think a chromebook or chromebox is more than sufficient for most people. I haven't owned a Windows computer in years, and never plan to have another, and it's not even slightly inconvenient. Windows is useless for most people, outside the fact that it's what they're used to. But a ChromeOS machine is very easy to get used to, and does everything most people need done, at least as easy as it can be done on Windows. That's why Microsoft is terrified of chromebooks, and is slamming them in its advertising. The new laptop campaign even says that cheap Windows computers "are as good as chromebooks". Not true, but that never slowed MS down before. I've been using a chromeOS device almost exclusively for about a year, and it does almost everything I need. I use Linux for the few things that I haven't been able to easily do on Chrome, like partitioning disks. That's easier on Linux. I also use my Android phone and tablet for some things, but I could get by without the tablet if necessary.

I think "nonsensical" is a stretch at best.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Nonsensical wasn't the right word.

Between games, MS Office, iTunes for iDevice syncing, and the ability to choose your web browser (some people prefer Firefox), I think a lot of people still benefit from having at least one Windows PC in the house instead of purely Chromebooks.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I would have to agree. I can surf the net without fear of contaminating my computer with cyber-VD and only resort to a PC when necessary.

jigwashere likes this.
  4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Agreed. We have a windows laptop that we use maybe once a month in my house, but when we pull it out it's for things we simply can't do on a Chromebook or iPad. iTunes sync is a big one, since Mrs QF's 5c couldn't handle the OTA iOS 8 update. Also, from what I've seen ChromeOS doesn't support Citrix, which means I still need my windows laptop to remotely log into work. I think for remote login, etc it's worth keeping a winbox around.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Yeah, Citrix is a problem. I use my Android tablet for that. Citrix runs fine on Android. Fortunately I've never dealt with itunes at all, so I don't have to worry about that.

6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

There are sufficient things that run only on Windows that, for me, I don't want to be without it. Having used Windows for 30 years and Linux for 20, I prefer Windows and I have one key special purpose program that only runs on Windows. I get MS Office for $10 so I have no motivation to use anything else and I rarely pay for any software as most anything you want is free these days. Pimlical is an exception. I just prefer and have always had good experiences with Windows, even though I like Linux and it can take care of 90% of my needs. I probably wouldn't ditch Windows just for those possible exceptions that require it-- options, I like options.

However, this is just a personal preference.

I think Stan is right in that a Chromebook can pretty much handle the needs of an average user . A student, I don't know.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Here we are, 1.5ish years later.

I never forgot about this article...

In my work inbox today -

• Apple Ipad voted as ‘least helpful device’ (discouraging its use as a BYOD device)
    In addition to this direct statement, all tablets have been removed from recommended status, and are now listed as sub standard. We will not out-rightly ban them, but anyone who chooses to bring one and use one, will face extensive shortfalls. This came as a result of a poll that was filled out by the students themselves.

raspabalsa, Hook, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

HC - I too have remembered this thread. I enjoy using my tablets & my Chromebook but if I still can't get everything done without the use of my laptop. This is why I got my son the Asus T100 for his H.S. graduation 2 years ago. He too has one of my older HP TouchPads running CM 9, which he just uses for media consumption. He has an iPad (yeah we have one of those iThings in our house but it was free ). He use that 2nd gen iPad to do some light writing on & uses it as a display to teach & preach in our youth services, but all his work for college has been done on his laptop. As great as tablets & Chromebooks are, at this time they still fall short, IMHO, of delivering everything one needs for college & for what most people just need for life in a tech world.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    raspabalsa, Hook, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I am not surprised by that at all, HC. I admit, I use my tablet a great deal, maybe 90% of my non-work "computer" needs. But for work, or for that 10% when I need something more, there's no equivalent in the tablet world for a real computer.

For home consumption/light emailing/on the go, a tablet is great. For heavy lifting, a computer is needed. It's that simple. Luckily, both tablets and laptops have become commoditized enough that you can own both without breaking the bank.

raspabalsa, Hook, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

My wife's LG G-Pad 8.3 remains a novelty item. Even with a Logitech BT keyboard she can't really stand working on it, and clings to her 15" Toshiba laptop. At most she'll watch a movie or listen to music on the G-Pad during trips, but for serious stuff she always prefers to carry the full bulk of laptop, charger, and mouse.