College Students Should Buy Tablets Instead of Laptops

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Ed Hardy, Sep 6, 2014.

1. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I almost always have internet access with my phone, and it's a 10-second task to make it a wifi hotspot for my computer or tablet. But I know that I'm not everyone. I was just explaining Google's intent, or at least what I perceive it to be. They're trying to promote their cloud storage as much as they can, and device manufacturers are going along. I'm just trying to adapt to all that as well as I can, and it's not as difficult as I had imagined.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

RickAgresta likes this.
  3. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I finally retired the runner on my Playbook tablet and got a Tab A with birthday money and after having a few days to play with it I don't see it replacing my Dell laptop anytime soon. It just doesn't fit my style of computing for anything that heavy duty, especially at school.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Here we are, closing in on 4 years since this article was posted. Apple had their 'Education' announcement today. Pardon me while I laugh uncontrollably. Apple clearly has lost their collective mind in thinking the new pricing and pencil feature are enough to turn the tide.

After multiple years of watching all sorts of devices within education, Apple iPad and Android tablets are most certainly not it. Chromebooks are ravaging iPad faster than you can blink. And at a price point that Apple cannot touch. Granted, some of those cheap Chromebooks are too cheap, and the cost of maintenance on them is off the charts. But that is not slowing their adoption.

My stance still stands - buying a tablet for school is about the worst thing you can do.

Apple's new iPad is too fragile, expensive, and impractical for school. https://amp.businessinsider.com/app...e-expensive-and-impractical-for-school-2018-3

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, jigwashere and 3 others like this.