CNET: Google Pixel 4A review: A feature-rich budget smartphone for $349

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Mi An, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-pixel-4a-review-budget-smartphone/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I think this might end up as my next phone. I'm not looking too hard, but my Z Play is 4 years old, so I've socked away a few bills just in case it gets wonky. I'm looking exclusively at less expensive amoled devices, either like this and the samsung a series or older flagships, but I would prefer to find a new in box model rather than a used phone. Generally, I like used goods, but the whole blacklisting thing and how the scammers have manipulated that system (by, for example, selling a phone with verifiably clean imei, then reporting it stolen after the sale) changes the risk/reward scenario.

Pixel 4a is supposed to ship at the end of august I think, and if I had to order anything suddenly after that, I think this would be an easy choice at that msrp, with no time to wait for a deal. I still hold out some hope that there is a stash of new Pixel 3As about to go on a firesale somewhere for $199 or less, but not that much hope. I'd be more enamored of the Samsung A51 if it offered Samsung's DEX that raspy showed off so well, and still might get it if a big enough sale tempts me. I've been looking a little at prices on the older galaxy s8/9 and similar Notes. But I lean towards the Pixel 4a.

It would be nice to have removable storage, a bigger battery and front-facing speakers, but in the age of zero bezels, rim speakers are the best I can hope for, and the others I can get by without (though I may lobby zerolemon to add the pixel a series to their lineup, because Hook made that look pretty handy on his Nexus 6p). That whole phase we went through for like 3 years where speakers actually faced the same direction as the screen were a nice reprieve, but all good things must come to an end.

For me, what matter most is that it's inexpensive in a world where flagship prices have gone insane (I didn't even like the old $600-$750 paradigm, $1000+ is heart attack territory for me), and it's AMOLED. I read a great deal on my phone, and the individually backlit subpixels of AMOLED allow me to read with absolutely zero blue light, eyes comfortable for hours on end, no headaches. The software filters I use on LCDs help, but only a little, while the way I filter on AMOLED is endlessly comfortable.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

It seems like a pretty sweet bang-for-the-buck model. And the AMOLED requirement kaboshes the ever popular (here) Moto G Stylus. Plus, it will likely be more rootable if you ever decide you need that.

So far, Mrs. Hook's Pixel 2XL is operating like a champ, but this is the phone I would consider as the replacement for her.

So, have you ordered it yet? :vbwink: :newpalm:

4. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Definitely haven't ordered yet. There's always a chance my z play keeps chugging along and this time next year I'm talking about how nice the pixel 5a looks. But there's also a chance I pounce early if there's a markdown or the mood strikes me.

I always did wish Moto would eventually have an amoled variant of the g. One year they had like 37 moto g variants, thought for sure there's be a nice amoled model eventually, ah well. I kind of like this higher budget tier of smartphone/processor, the sd7xx's. I don't have personal experience with them, but I figure there's less pressure on them to have flagship performance than the sd8xx, but they still have the best process nodes so they could be geared more for efficiency, like my beloved battery champ sd 625. Might be wishful thinking.

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Mi An like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

It's in stock and available for order today. Not planning on it but I feel better knowing there's something out there that's a really good fit even at retail price.

The pixel 4a has a more interesting speaker setup than I first realized. It does have the rim speaker on the bottom, but it's stereo together with an earpiece speaker that looks like it's forward firing. That's nice, I think. I'm sure I'll get used to the rear fingerprint sensor, a lot of people love that placement. I suspect I'll always hate the punchhole for the selfie camera, honestly, I'm not fond of selfie cameras at all and butchering a display for one definitely doesn't make me happy, but the price is right.

My last selfie:
    old.jpg

I've seen some additional reviews in which reviewers warn that you have to be ok with the smaller screen. The smaller 5.8" screen. Bigger than my too big for my taste Z Play and just a tiny smidge smaller than my Nexus 6, which was codenamed by Google itself as Shamu. Friggin whalephones are the new minis. Meanwhile I still break out my nexus 4 from time to time to admire the form factor.

EdmundDantes, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Fwiw, on the moto g stylus, the front-facing camera is mostly invisible unless full-screen mode is in use, and the background is light. It's in the dropdown status bar, about where the blue dot is, below:
    Screenshot_20200820-160435.png

8. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

I could be all reasonable about it, but I think it might be more fun to be all Sheldon Cooper about it. :newpalm: