CM7 (Cyanogen Gingerbread) Internally on NOOKcolor

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by questionfear, May 29, 2011.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

So I've been using CM7 on SD card for almost a month now, but I kept hearing how much faster it was internally, how easy it was to set up, etc...so I took the plunge yesterday.

First of all, the hardest part was making a recovery SD card that could install the ZIP files...for some reason the program I use on windows to write disk images was giving me trouble, so I had to use terminal commands on my mac. After that it was dead easy. Load files onto SD card, turn nook off, put SD card in. Boot NOOK, install CM7 zip, install GAPPS zip, install clockwork recovery zip, pop out SD card, hit "reboot" and BOOM, done.

Versus the SD boot method, which involved using the Android SDK and all sorts of fun windows terminal commands to move the marketplace, etc., over...this was significantly faster and smoother.

And the speed! I thought CM7 was snappy on SD card, but it FLIES internally. I can't say enough about how impressed I am.

I will come back with more observations and reviews post-gushing, but I am just super thrilled and think I have finally struck gold...this makes the NOOK a true-blue android tablet, and a damn fast one!

2. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I thought I read a little while ago (maybe here, maybe elsewhere) that the wifi version of the gtab had an older CPU than its 3g variant, and was pretty much on par with the nook color's performance, making the nook color an even more impressive bargain.

XDAndroid still has a lot of quirks. Little things here and there that don't work. I imagine activity on the Nook Color cyanogen build is higher and more enthusiastic, all things considered. Is it fully functional?

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

So, when will B&N figure out everyone is buying the Color Nook but no one is downloading B&N books to it? ;) Do they care? Maybe they'll merge with Best Buy.

4. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Not sure...but while the NOOK has a fairly middling processor on paper, it seems very snappy in use. Definitely more responsive than my Droid by a long shot.

And Cyanogen is 100% functional out of the box. Market and google apps get flashed during installation, wifi works, and they even figured out how to unlock the bluetooth chip! Apparently it is part of the NOOKcolor but not activated (unless you use CM7).

There's also some tweaks to make it more tablet-y, with fullscreen mode options to hide the soft keys, etc.

Hehe. I actually wonder how many people really are hacking their NOOKs, and whether it's enough for B&N to care. Based on the high app download #s for their app store, I think there's a sizable section of the NOOK audience that doesn't bother rooting or hacking it, and since B&N has taken zero options to shut down the hackery I'm guessing it's significantly less than the majority of the NOOKs in the wild. Just my spitballing guess.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Maybe Liberty Media figured it out already; and that's why they want to buy B&N (primarily for the Nook franchise).

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

That's basically what Liberty Media has said. They want B&N for the ebook franchise.

I really believe there isn't a huge market (relatively speaking) of people hacking NOOKcolors, only because none of the NOOK hack sites (or the autonooters that root and install marketplace, etc for you) have received a cease and desist, and B&N hasn't lifted a finger in their software development to make it even remotely difficult to hack it.

So either most of the people hacking are still buying nookbooks, or there's a smaller audience than we realize (since most of the people buying NOOKcolors and NOT rooting aren't hanging around Android forums.)

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I am tempted to follow in your footsteps. I'm held back by the possibility that one of my kids will inherit my NC if I decide to upgrade so something else. Then again....why upgrade when this is such a great device? If the NCs drop in price again, maybe I should just pick up a couple for the kids.

Dual booting isn't bad. I feel like I've got great performance running CM7 from the microSD card. If I were smart, I'd leave well enough alone. Right? :rolleyes: