Clone from big hard drive to smaller SSD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Jun 16, 2017.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Guys, I am seriously thinking of getting a SSD for my laptop. BUT I have a big concern. My laptop came with 1tb hard drive, but I want to get a 500GB SSD (I can only afford).

Right now, the hard drive is only using around 100GB. I want to clone everything from that hard drive to the new SSD, including the recovery partition. So any idea how can I accomplish this?

Thank you very much.

Here is a pic of my hd looks like, Disk 0

disk.jpg

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Any decent cloning software should be able to do this. It only clones the used portion of drive space. Thus, if you only use 100GB of a 1TB drive, it will only clone 100GB to your 500GB SSD.

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I agree with HC on this, although I usually prefer to take an extra step and reduce the partition(s) size so it/they will fit on the new disk. This can be done on the disk manager shown in your pic, or on any other partitoning software.

4. NetBrakr

Thanks guys. I am thinking of buying EaseUS Disk Copy, it's a bootable software. What do you guys recommend, paid or free?

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Good question. I've not had to 'clone' a drive like this in many years. I use an imaging server that clones, but that's optimized for Windows 7, and is far beyond what the scope of this project is.

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

NetBrakr, RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  7. raspabalsa

Incidentally, I had to clone a damaged Hdd from my MIL's computer, so I've tried a few programs in the past weeks. I have an old version of Acronis True Image that I got from some giveaway, but it's not compatible with Windows 10. The trial, win10-compatible version will not allow cloning. So I tried with Macrium Reflect Free. It works quite well, except for the fact that since the disk is damaged I couldn't recover one of the partitions. But my MIL's pictures were in the good partition, so all is well :)

Sent from my LG-V10 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    NetBrakr, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  8. NetBrakr

Does anyone know what is the differences between free version vs paid version of both software, EaseUS ToDo Backup and Macrium Reflect?

9. raspabalsa

About 50 dollars? :D :D jk....

Seriously now, the page I linked to in my previous post has a chart comparing the different versions of Macrium Reflect. I guess EaseUS's page has a similar comparison. But if the free versions allow direct cloning, that's good enough for me.

NetBrakr, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  10. NetBrakr

I guess I will need to install/running the MR software into the hard drive that I am cloning and use a USB enclosure to do the actual cloning of the SSD. But from my experience, will that disrupt or do improper cloning? That's why I prefer bootable software, instead of installing/running from the hard drive that i need to clone.