Classic PDA's Are Like Classic Cars (e.g. - TX)

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Rubus, Jun 11, 2012.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Dummy me. < smacks forehead > Ow.

2. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

I can't speak for anyone's reason for modifying the ROM except for my own reason - because I was bored and felt like trying to figure out how to do something new. I had already pruned all the roses, dead-headed all the perennials - so it was a slow day for an unemployed horticulturist. Hee, hee. :D

My understanding of modifying the section of the ROM on the "non-flashable" TX like I have is that when that inevitable hard-reset comes around, I'll have my preferred set of programs already loaded and ready to go and NOT have to delete a bunch of programs that I don't want and don't use.

I certainly don't know the technical details, but I can attest to the fact that it was FUN! :newpalm:

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

From my personal, 5-year experience using a TX, I think an unintended hard reset is not inevitable. I never had a single hard reset that I did not manually initiate. Once the developers upgraded their apps to be NVFS-aware, my TX was rock-stable, almost never suffered a soft reset, and never wiped itself spontaneously. However, I did use to do a hard reset every half year or so to do a spring cleaning. To restore I used a backup to SD program (RescoViewer, NVBackup, etc), or sometimes I just installed everything from scratch. To make this easier I kept a copy of all the apps (PRC and PDB files that made up each app) on my SD card, so I could copy them back to the internal memory. Back in the days of RAM-based devices it made more sense to flash programs, because those devices risked losing all data if battery dropped too low. But this does not happen on NVFS devices. Also, the amount of Flash that could be freed was very significant compared to the available RAM. For the T3 I think I could free about 12MB of flash, which is about 20% of the available RAM. But the TX has so much more internal memory (100MB available) that it's much harder to fill it up.

Ah, that is something I won't argue :D I thoroughly enjoyed playing and experimenting with my Palm devices. My new Samsung toys are much more powerful, but it's less easy to tinker with them, at least hardware-wise.

4. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Yes, I meant the ROM tools; but Lelisa, that ZLauncher screen is pretty great. What are the tabs along the top and the row of icons above the 'regular' row with battery, time, home, etc.?

5. lelisa13p

The Tabs along the top, beginning with the globe, are the ones that I listed above.

The House is the Menu for ZLauncher (screen shot 2). Tap & Hold on the Date and it toggles a longer form of the Date including the day of the week. Tap & Hold on the Battery icon to see the Percentage full (the icon depletes as the battery drains.) The 21% is how much RAM is free and Tap & Hold will show how much space is free on the SD Card. The next icon is for the File Manager, which can show the device files and the SD card files and contents. The two mushrooms (looks like two knobs) is for more ZLauncher configurations. Tabs appearance can be figured individually, plus lots of other Settings (screen shot 1) The far right icon & name is the current Tab and tapping on it will show a Menu of all Tab names. There are many ways to do everything with ZLauncher; as simple or complicated as the user desires. I couldn't get screen grabs for the Tap & Hold items. The theme is Noia. Here's ZLauncher's site with more explanations of what's possible and animated screenshots.

In case anyone else screws up while posting, I accidentally closed my browser while typing this response, cursing loudly when I saw what I'd done. To my absolute shock & delight, when I returned to this thread after reopening my browser, as I began to reconstruct the post, I noticed a little message at the bottom left side of the composition window. It said: Restore the autosaved previous response? YES YES YES!!! Presto! My lost and incomplete post is back! Woo-hoo for the new forum software! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I used to think launchers were a bit superfluous, but that's pretty nice Lelisa. I probably still wouldn't use most of the features; but it's impressive.

7. Glennski

Glennski How Little I Know -Bucky

Hi everybody, and welcome to Brighthand Rubus. couldn't resist this subject line.
    Only slightly OT, I've been scouring ebay for a good used TX. It's interesting to note that the auctions remain lively! :newpalm:
    Just picked up a T5 for a song, but have been talked into the TX by the knowledgeable folks here and am now looking for one. I agree with the assessment about classic cars~!

On topic regarding recycling: what do do with an old used palm? I was thinking of sending it to one of the Palm repair guys like Chris short. any suggestions?

8. lelisa13p