Classic PDA's Are Like Classic Cars (e.g. - TX)

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Rubus, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

Raspabalsa - you are the GREATEST!!!! Thank you VERY much! That is absolutely INDEED what I was looking for! It's times like this that I just LOVE the internet! :)

Jigwashere, I could handle torsk, but lutefisk is a Minnesotan version of Klingon Gagh! The only thing more revolting than the taste is the smell! :p

Thank you again for the files and instructions. I'll let you know how my "fun time" works out (or doesn't). :eek:

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Glad to know that's what you were looking for. Good luck!

Lutefisk... Yeah, I'd love to try spongy, colorless, soap-smelling, originally inedible fish some time! :D Doesn't the legend say St. Patrick was looking for ways to poison the Vikings and that's how he invented the recipe? :D :D

3. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

Hey, raspabalsa, may I also have a copy of that ROM tool .zip?

Rubus, I envy you. :) I missed out on many of the good handhelds in their heyday, and even now they're hard for me to come by in central GA!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Sure, I just sent you a PM with the link

Sent from my Galaxy Player 5 using Tapatalk 2

5. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

Thanks! :D

6. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

SUCCESS!!!! :D

It all worked like a charm! As a bit of background information, I know nothing about programming, I don't know DOS or Linux. Heck, I'm a horticulturist (unfortunately unemployed at present :( ) by trade but I do LOVE tinkering with computers. By reading the threads on 1src and following the instructions and using the tools provided by Raspabalsa (thanks again VERY much!), the process went relatively quick and easy.

The only trouble I ran into was when I made up my customized folder of applications that I wanted to flash over. In the instructions it mentions the overflow.zip file needing to be (approximately) more than 8 MB and less than 10 MB. Mine came in at 9.06 MB so it should have worked, right? For whatever reason I'd go through the ROM updating process and resets and it would remove quite a bit from the memory on the TX, but NONE of my stuff would show up. In fact, the TX showed 113 MB of 114 MB free.

Thank GOODNESS for historical postings! This one was stating my same problem: 1src Forums - View Single Post - CUSTOM TX ROM - works

A bit more reading on after that post and the same person posted this: 1src Forums - View Single Post - CUSTOM TX ROM - works

I noticed the poster mentioned the size of his (or her?) zip file was 9.6 MB and was causing problems, so I thought I'd reduce mine down and see if that did anything. SUCCESS!!!! :D I don't know why it is that the zip file has to be a certain size on the low end of the range to actually work when the instructions say it can be between 8-10, but I actually had to dump extra stuff in that I didn't really care if I had in there to get up to the 9.06 MB so taking some out was easy.

So, thank you again everyone VERY much for all your time and assistance! It was a FUN little project that kept my mind busy and focused on something other than NOT being able to find a job. Hopefully that won't be a problem for too much longer. ;)

Now that I'm feeling totally comfortable with the process I'm going to go back and tweak it some more, and more, and more until I really screw it up. :) Actually, one thing I'd also like to know is how a program knows where to get placed in the standard categories. For example, why/how does one program know to show up in the "Main" vs. "Unfiled" category? Not to get TOO picky, but I'd like to be able to figure out how to make the applications show up in the categories that I'd like them to be in. Any suggestions on that process? :confused:

Thanks again everyone and have a GREAT day!!!! :newpalm:

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Some apps just show up as Unfiled while others show up in other places, I'm guessing because the developer gives it some kind of designation. I really don't know or care because I always moved my apps around the way I wanted them to appear. I also use a third-party launcher (ZLauncher) so I can have lots of choices.

This works for the native launcher. Go to the ALL category screen and then tap the upper left of screen (tap the Time) to show the App > Category (tap Category). The resulting screen will have all of your apps listed with an upside down triangle next to each, which is actually a dropdown menu allowing you to individually categorize each app to appear on the screen of your choosing. Tap Done at the bottom of the screen to exit back to the launcher. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What are the advantages of doing this?

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The advantage is being able to have your most used apps on a page and the other types categorized as you see fit. in the attached pic, my Tabs are categorized from left to right: All, Unfiled, System, Docs, Games, Faves, Main and SD Card.

Attached Files:

10. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

I may be wrong, but I suspect the pronoun Varjak used referred to the ROM kit people were playing with above. ;-) I don't personally have an answer to that question.