Classic PDA's Are Like Classic Cars (e.g. - TX)

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Rubus, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

Hello everyone! :D

I'm new to this forum but I'm not new to reading all your lovely and helpful postings. I have had and have enjoyed my Palm Zire 72 for about a decade, and now I have a drawer full of Palms. Some people enjoy collecting, fixing up and playing with classic cars, and some enjoy classic PDA's. I'm in the latter category.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up my first TX and I have spent most of my time (yes, unemployed thus having LOTS of time to read and experiment with old Palms) reading up on the TX. I just REALLY want to thank all of you for you VERY helpful postings on recommended software, settings, etc. I realize a lot of the information is up to 7 years old, but us newbie collectors sure appreciate your sharing your experiences. :newpalm:

One thing I'm VERY interested in doing is playing around with ROM flashing. I've used Dmitry's utility and found out I have a "ROM" version (even though the dates say it is within the flashable range) so I can only play with the overflow part.

I am KICKING myself for not bookmarking it when I found it, and now I can't re-find it, but there was a thread somewhere (something like 60+ pages long!?!) that had really good instructions on customizing your own ROM overflow flashing. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be VERY grateful! Yes, I've used the "search" but can't find it again.

I've read through and bookmarked many of the pages over on the 1src site, but it appears some of the links are long-dead and that site doesn't seem to be accepting any new user registrations, so I can't download any of the links anyway.

The one I really want is the tools and instructions listed here: 1src Forums - View Single Post - CUSTOM TX ROM - works, but since I can't register on that site I can't download the link and not sure if after all these years it's still working anyway. :(

If ANY of you lovely, WONDERFUL people out there DO have a working link to that set of tools and instructions or would like to send it to me I would be so VERY grateful!

I am NOT worried about "bricking" the device as it's not my main and only device. I'm wanting to learn and play around with this TX (and my drawer full of Zire 72's and other Tungstens) and I promise to be careful. This is how I learn - by getting my hands dirty and digging in and being ready to accept any dire consequences if they should happen.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long message. I'm just VERY excited about this new adventure so I'm blabbering. Have a GREAT day!!!! :D

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello Rubus, welcome to Brightand!

Having used a TX for 5 years myself (and 5 other Palm models before it), I understand your love for these great devices.

I never played with my TX's ROM, for two main reasons: I didn't want to risk bricking it, and I really didn't need to. I did, however, played a lot with the hardware, adding and modding to my TX until it became one of a kind.
    But I do have several ROMs TX that I downloaded from 1src, and I think I have some of the tools and tutorials used to do it. You can send me a personal message (PM) with your email and I'll send you the files back. I've never tried any of the methods, so I can be of little practical help in this respect.

Here are a couple of threads on 1src discussing custom ROMs for the TX:

Minimal TX Overflow ROM

1src Forums - Rom Customization

But the bulk of the info on custom ROMs is from the thread you linked to above.

You can find the TX's custom ROM here

Good luck!

3. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

Hello and thank you for your reply. Last evening I downloaded Dmitry's TX-2 ROM and installed it with no difficulty. WHEW! :)

Thank you also for the links. They are some of the many that I have already read, but thank you for posting them again as I had forgotten to bookmark one of them. I'm especially interested in the "minimal" ROM experiment. As I mentioned, I don't really use my Palms for day to day necessities, jut FUN! :)

Where I live (Portland, OR) there is a store called Free-Geek that recycles computers and they also have a thrift store where they sell lots of items. It's a computer geek's DREAM shopping experience for older stuff. At that thrift store I picked up four more used Zire 72's, a Tungsten E, a couple of Palm keyboards, and an HP Jornada PPC. It's difficult to resist when you can pick one up for less than $20. :)

Thank you again for your time, assistance and for all the WONDERFUL history of PDA's on this site.

Does anyone know if the 1src site is down and only around for "historical" purposes? I've tried to register but I receive a message saying something like, "Registration has been closed by the administrator." :-(

4. raspabalsa

You're welcome! That store sounds great... where I live there's not much in the way of geek shops, but over the years I've managed to collect a few Palm devices: m100, Tungsten C, T3, and two TXs. The T3 and one of the TXs are not functional, though. I also have a couple of Palm IR keyboards, but one has a damaged ribbon cable.

1src seems to be slowly closing down. Their app database has been gone for a year, and now they're taking no more members. Maybe if you email one of the admins he may consider granting you a membership.

There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with your TX. It's a nice device for watching movies, especially if you overclock it and buy the SDHC driver. I used my TX with a 16GB card, enough for 12 or more full movies. There are plenty of threads around here discussing the best methods of re-encoding movies for the TX. Take a look at the multi-sticky at the top of this forum with links to several useful threads.

5. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

I've tried emailing the admins at 1src a few times and I never receive a reply, so I'm not too hopeful on that site. What I really need is the "tools" that Razoff was offering on this page: 1src Forums - View Single Post - CUSTOM TX ROM - works.

I do have the TX2 ROM from Dimitry's site, and now that it's been a bazillion years, I have the now FREE "TX Security Upgrade" files. What I really need is the instructions talking me through how to create my own customized ROM flashing. I know originally it was mostly in Russian, but that someone had translated enough of it in English that I could "hopefully" understand it. Any help from anyone out there that has all the instructions and is willing to send them to me or a link to them is GREATLY appreciated. :)

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I live in Minneapolis. Near where I park before boarding the light rail headed downtown, there was a somewhat dilapidated building with a Free Geek sign painted on it (and a live chicken coop in the parking lot). I never had the courage to venture inside, but wonder if it's related to the store in Portland.

7. Rubus

Rubus Mobile Enthusiast

I believe the various Free Geek stores around the country are somewhat related in their mission of recycling computers and such, but not sure that each location has much to do with each other. I see the Minni-Apple location also has a thrift store, so sometime you may want to wander in and see what goodies they have for sale. :) Free Geek Twin Cities: Keeping computers off the streets since 2009

I'm originally from Minnesota, but I got tire of all the mosquitoes during the warm months, and I also grew tired of the -30 to -60°F winters. I'm happy living in the Portland area where it does NOT get below zero! :)

I'm not sure about the Free Geek in Minneapolis, but the one here in Portland is actually a very nice place where people that know nothing about computers can do some volunteering and earn themselves a new (new to them, but used) desktop computer. I went through the "build" process out here in Portland but didn't need/want a desktop, so I donated it. I really enjoyed working on the laptops so I could learn how to tear them apart without destroying my own laptop first. :)

Back on topic, anyone have the written instructions for customized ROM flashing in English? :)

P.S. - the only thing I really miss about Minnesota is the thunderstorms and the fresh lefse! :)

8. raspabalsa

I have a folder by that name, with a lot of suspicious stuff... I think it's the one mentioned in that thread. I can't email it, because it contains executables that gmail won't let pass. Let me upload it to my public Dropbox folder, then I'll PM you the link.

The folder with the tools has a short readme file. I don't know how useful it is. I guess you'll have to look more around 1src, there are probably more threads with instructions there.

9. raspabalsa

Ok, zipped folder uploaded, PM sent with the link. There are a couple of readme files inside, with some luck that's all you need.

Hope you can make good use of it, and let us know how your experiments go!

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The Free Geek location you posted is a few blocks away from where I used to see the signs. I'll have to check it out some time.

You weren't a fan of lutefisk? :confused:

EDIT: I see from their May 2012 archive posts that they moved. I would guess the new location would give them a bit more visibility.