Cingular 8525

Discussion in 'Cingular 8525/AT&T 8525' started by Btate0121, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Btate0121

Btate0121 Mobile Enthusiast

Anyone hear about this? any word on when it's coming? i'm ready to upgrade already. see the pic below

Attached Files:

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

The Hermes will probably be available in the us some time this fall, possibly September/October. We don't know exactly when, but there's a good chance that it will come out alongside their next Smartphone, for which the buzz says September.

On edit: the device in the screenshot is the HTC Hermes, probably going to market as the Cingular 8525, rather than the 8125 that's listed in your subject.
  4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

About the only difference between the 8125 and the Hermes is support for HSDPA, and if that doesn't interest you, you might go ahead and get the 8125 now.
  5. Btate0121

yeah.... stupid mistake on my part.. i DID mean the 8525. I have a much higher resolution version of the pic attached.. and it shows a push to talk button on the side. is that rumored to be supported as well? i can send it to you if you'd like (you probably have already seen it tho right?)
  6. Adama D. Brown

Push-to-talk probably depends on the carrier. I'm not familiar with Cingular's plans on the subject, but I doubt that they'll support PTT.
  7. Btate0121

allow me to humbly direct your attention here.

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/ce...=2526000028&q_addAnotherPhone=false&zip=20110 (enter 20110 in the zip)

Cingular has had PTT for months now (at least in my area). all the phones listed on this page offer PTT for the cingular network.

I hope i didn't misunderstand your post.

i SHOULD point out that it's not PTT on a nextel network.. this one creates voice channels using Kodiak, where Nextel uses iDen which is Motorola specific.. but the functionality is the same.
  8. Adama D. Brown

(Shrug) I suppose then that it's possible that it will support PTT, though as I said, I'm not familiar with Cingular's system or plans.
  9. djdoc

djdoc Newbie

Hi, new to the forum here.

I know they're similar, but some people might also not like the sluggishness of the 8125 (which is something that many people have complained about) compared to the much faster processor in the 8525.

The 8525 seems based on the HTC TYTN, except they ripped us off by pulling the video camera from the front (which would be perfect for SKYPE calling over Wi-Fi when you are in a wifi network).

I wonder if they made it impossible to use SKYPE too... just cripple every good feature in the phone...

I've been holding out on buying the TYTN because I was hoping I could get it cheaper when Cingular picked it up... but if they're going to do that to the phone, I might as well pay cash for an unlocked, uncrippled phone.
  10. kabal

kabal Newbie

thats not push to talk. its the blackberry clickwheel. and back button, see how close they are together... i know a guy who does testing for Cingular and he said thats one of his favorite features...
  11. Btate0121

nope... i zoomed in on the button.. it's clearly marked PTT and there is a SEPERATE wheel and ok button next to it... it's below. I have a 2259x1575 rendering available. On a closer look i did notice that the year on the screen just behind the start menu reads "2005", but this almost means nothing as it's common practice to paste screen images onto product spec photos in this manner.

Attached Files:

12. Btate0121

now i'm just confused.. i found these online.. along with a rumor that it will have a SECOND camera on the front for video calls. In the pic below there is a hole just to the right of the screen at the top.. could it be?!? and it's T-MOBILE!?

Attached Files:

13. Btate0121

Here's a favor.. a link to the full pic

http://forum.xda-developers.com/files/8525.jpg

it's also photoshopped.. if you look at the closeup of the front screen right where the camera is suppsed to be.. you'll see a slight discoloration and the leftovers of the words "Video Cam" (from what i can make out anyway). Perhaps the "PTT" button is as well... come to think of it.. my 8125 has a Voice Memo/Voice Dial button in that same location right now....i don't know what to make of it.
  14. Adama D. Brown

There are a couple of different versions of the Hermes coming out. HTC usually builds a device, then resells it to a variety of carriers like Cingular, T-Mobile, O2, etcetera, sometimes with small changes. In this case, the model for T-Mobile will probably have a front-mounted camera for video calling. The version Cingular gets almost certainly will not have this.
  15. aaron8371

aaron8371 Newbie

The 8525 will have PTT as verified by the cingular DOM for the west reigon:)
  16. Btate0121

welll... it's only a matter of time before the lokiwiz will be able to unlock the 8525 and i'll have my hermes with camera on my cingular network... heh. and good call on the PTT for meee... yaaaay.. *pat on back*
  17. Btate0121

looky looky.. this is an interesting read.. pictures (including screen shots of the device info section), taken 3 or 4 months ago.. it's in another language and the bezel looks different.. but it's essentially the same phone... but here's the link...

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5368.html
  18. Rec0n4lpha

Rec0n4lpha Newbie

Yeah, but also, if it were an actual picture and not a rendering, the screen on the "8525" opened up would be in landscape view. But it's still vertical, as if it were closed.
  19. miracle

miracle Newbie

20. masterinfo_98

masterinfo_98 Newbie

It's finally here: $399.99 after $50 rebate w/ 2-year contract

Enjoy!