Christmas Gift for our son - LG V10

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by scjjtt, Dec 24, 2015.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

A buddy of mine has gone through multiple LG G4s because of the bootloop issue.

Mi An, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hope your V10 lasts long, Scott. I still sometimes think about mine (mostly for its ruggedness and the second screen), but my G6 has completely filled that hole in my heart :)

Mi An, lelisa13p, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Good news. I just called LG and they asked for the IMEI# and said my G4, that I bought reconditioned for $89, is covered by warranty. They recognized my phone number and had my email and physical address and have sent a shipping label for me.

They must be honoring warranties over a year with the boot loop issue. Although I like my v10 - I think I'll still go back to the G4 so that Mrs scjjtt and I have the same phones and carry the same backup batteries. I plan to save my v10 for the future if the G4 goes down and then I can step up to a faster and more powerful phone.

The only thing I don't like about switching phones is losing recent SMS from the previous phone I was using.

Anyway, I'm excited - if they truly are fixing these phones, this G4 will be one of the best deals I've ever purchased.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Mi An, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

You should be able to backup and then restore SMS messages using SMS Backup and Restore from the play store. I'm pretty sure it doesn't require root. I've been using it for years. It was maintained by Corbonite, but now has been sold to an Australian company called SyncTech. Works very nicely.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

5. scjjtt

Thanks Hook! I'll take a look at that.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

depending on your provider's cloud backup & settings, they might be available that way, if the app doesn't work as desired.

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  7. scjjtt

Well, not so good news. LG says it was water damage (yeah right - it has never seen water - that's just a great way to avoid the truth about the boot loop issue) & that it is beyond warranty.

I did like the phone. Mrs scjjtt's seem to be working fine. I'm thinking of rolling the dice again - since I have 3 batteries, a charger & a case, & spring for another G4 for the $89 range - but this time I will avoid charging the phone at night. That's when it went into the boot loop - which are caused by the phone overheating (& not in water LG)!

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

My V10 also bootlooped while charging at night, although earlier that night I did notice it was unusually warm. Incidentally, about a month ago I stopped charging my G6 overnight. I reasoned that since it will not last through the day on a single charge (poor cell coverage in the field increases cell radio's power consumption), and I will always have to charge it again around 2 or 3 pm, then there's no point in leaving plugged in the whole night, especially since the battery will only drain 2% or 3% overnight. So now I just top its battery before I go to sleep, unplug it, then top it again throughout the day as needed. Rationalization worked fine until I read your post above, and now I think repeatedly seeing the G6 plugged in at night must have triggered some subconscious fearful behavior tied to the trauma of seeing my V10 bootloop under similar conditions :D

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I can't imagine ever owning another LG phone. They claimed my G2 had water damage and refused to fix a known defect.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Strangely enough, at least until it's Fukushima moment at the end, my Nexus 5 (LG) was one of the best, most reliable phones I ever owned. It never had any of the problems of these other LG phones.